Professional Web Applications Themes

6 or 12 Mega Pixels - Photography

"JRF" <nsp.fordjrmindspring.com> wrote in message news:bcoc1j$m6r$1slb2.atl.mindspring.net... > 6MP or 11.1MP in the Canon EOS systems, 10D and 1Ds. I suspect the price of > the 1Ds will be coming down in the near future given the rapid advance of > processor chip technology and prices. The question remains, should I be > satisfied with an affordable 6MP now when I can get almost 12MP for about > the same amount, few bucks more, in about a year? Just an amateur trying to > see the trees through the forest. > Go to : [url]http://www.dpreview.com/[/url] and see sample pictures made by ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: 6 or 12 Mega Pixels

    "JRF" <nsp.fordjrmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > 6MP or 11.1MP in the Canon EOS systems, 10D and 1Ds. I suspect the price
    of
    > the 1Ds will be coming down in the near future given the rapid advance of
    > processor chip technology and prices. The question remains, should I be
    > satisfied with an affordable 6MP now when I can get almost 12MP for about
    > the same amount, few bucks more, in about a year? Just an amateur trying
    > see the trees through the forest.

    Go to : [url]http://www.dpreview.com/[/url] and see sample pictures made by Canons
    cameras. You will be amazed how the chipper one Canon 10D makes his work. My
    dream is to save money and buy it. I did a test pictures at the Photo store
    by Canon 10D. Pictures are beautiful. To do the same work using a slide film
    I will need a scanner worth possibly more than Canon camera.

    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    Well, that is a good question.. However, the first questions before you get
    to this one should be...

    1. Do I need it?
    2. Will I get use it enough to justify the cost. Am I amateur or wanna be
    pro?
    3. If I don't plan to make poster size pictures, should I buy it anyways.
    4. How good or "Steady" photographer am I? Wouldn't 4.0 megapixel be enough
    for start?
    etc, etc, ... you get my point...:)

    I use Olympus c50-50 digital. This is a new 5.0 megapixel camera and because
    I don't shoot for posters I use it with the default setting with a minimum
    compression and I have hundreds of beautiful results that I can print to
    full page or 17" if nescasarry. For example:

    I've shot 700 images a couple months ago in Oregon, California and Arizona.
    I've shot about 850 pictures in Prague (Czech Republic) and I 've shot about
    1200 pictures in Whistler for my final CD product. Click this link. We got
    the Olympic Games 2010 and it is time to introduce it to the market.

    [url]http://ftp.shaw.ca/mhadac/Whistler.htm[/url]

    Now... I'm not bragging or complaining, but if you will plan to use it as
    much as I've just described go for it! If not, buy a "FLAT" olympus 4.0
    megapixel and you will also have a good camera that you can carry with you
    in you shirt pocket for the occasional shot. Hope I helped a bit...

    <My two cents...> Michael.

    "Andy" <andynoscam.com> wrote in message
    news:z2MNa.70812$x4o.18235news04.bloor.is.net.cab le.rogers.com...

    > "JRF" <nsp.fordjrmindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > 6MP or 11.1MP in the Canon EOS systems, 10D and 1Ds. I suspect the
    price
    > of
    > > the 1Ds will be coming down in the near future given the rapid advance
    of
    > > processor chip technology and prices. The question remains, should I be
    > > satisfied with an affordable 6MP now when I can get almost 12MP for
    about
    > > the same amount, few bucks more, in about a year? Just an amateur
    trying
    > > see the trees through the forest.
    > >
    > Go to : [url]http://www.dpreview.com/[/url] and see sample pictures made by Canons
    > cameras. You will be amazed how the chipper one Canon 10D makes his work.
    My
    > dream is to save money and buy it. I did a test pictures at the Photo
    store
    > by Canon 10D. Pictures are beautiful. To do the same work using a slide
    film
    > I will need a scanner worth possibly more than Canon camera.

    Michael Hadac Guest

  3. #3

    You have two choices --
    adopt early, pay high prices to be a beta tester, and be gratified now, or
    wait until the next better/cheaper/faster whatever comes out.

    The price break will remain $1000+; under that amount will be good
    consumer-grade equipment that most of us would be happy to use. Over that
    amount will be the pro/prosumer stuff.

    What would be interesting to know --
    are prices artificially high to cover the lost income due to decreased film
    sales?
    Are they high because the anti-noise technology is the expensive part, or is
    the MP size the culprit...

    "JRF" <com> wrote in message
    of

    Larry Guest

  4. #4

    "Larry CdeBaca" <net> wrote in message
    film
    is

    The sensor is expensive. The more pixels, the higher the production cost.
    The life-cycle of a product is short, so development costs need ot be
    recovered quickly. There is enough competition to keep the prices honest.

    Kodak announced they are stopping the production of cameras. Their big
    market there was for consumers, and their digicams are aimed at that market
    also.

    Digicam makers are searching for an aftermarket, and that accounts for the
    proliferation of brand-specific batteries and memories. Kodak announced an
    intention to become a printer manufacturer. They already make paper for
    photo prints.

    Marvin Guest

  5. #5

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:

    Makes sense - Minolta and Kodak merged in 2003.

    Mathias Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:37:18 -0600, "Larry CdeBaca"
    <net> wrote:

    Just thought I'd point out that the majority of digital camera
    manufacturers do not make film. So my guess is that the answer to your
    question above is "No."

    -- JC
    J Guest

  7. #7

    Konica not Kodak

    "Mathias Schmid" <com> wrote in message

    > Makes sense - Minolta and Kodak merged in 2003.
    >
    >[/ref]

    Tang Guest

  8. #8

    Guys: I don't know how relevant this is for you but I thought It would be
    interested. Maybe you already know :
    Dimage scan elite 5400 is a new device to convert your 35 mm shots into
    digital (40megapixels digital images)

    Check it on www.dimage.minolta.COM

    I apologise if it isn't relevant

    J D Chica

    "Larry CdeBaca" <net> wrote in message
    film
    is [/ref]
    price [/ref]
    of [/ref]
    about [/ref]
    trying

    >[/ref]

    Juan Guest

  9. #9

    Tang Wong wrote:

    I am *such* an Idiot! ARRRRGH!
    Would help if I actually read what is posted / I'm posting
    instead of going on like a zombie... *gak*
    sorry bout that.

    Mathias Guest