Professional Web Applications Themes

8.0 and Mandrake 10.1 - PostgreSQL / PGSQL

Hi, When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc... postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now, I am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but does anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes all have no ...

  1. #1

    Default 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

    Hi,

    When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
    box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
    that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
    configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
    latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...

    postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now, I
    am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but does
    anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes all have
    no problems with this... postgresql built fine without openssl... but I
    would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for Mandrake 10.1 and
    building postgresql most appreciated...

    Thanks

    [url]http://archives.postgresql.org[/url]

    Dave Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 8.0 and Mandrake 10.1

    Hello Dave,

    You have to install all devel packages you need for all options you want to
    use.
    In this case openssl-devel or ...-dev.
    Regards
    Alex

    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email]majordomopostgresql.org[/email])

    Alexander Nolting Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 2005-01-21 at 16:50, Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
    > box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
    > that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
    > configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
    > latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...
    >
    > postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now, I
    > am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but does
    > anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes all have
    > no problems with this... postgresql built fine without openssl... but I
    > would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for Mandrake 10.1 and
    > building postgresql most appreciated...
    These kinds of problems normally come from missing a -devel part of a
    package. For instance, readline and openssl come as two packages each
    in RedHat:

    smarlowestate:~> rpm -qa|grep readline
    readline-devel-4.3-10.1
    readline-4.3-10.1
    smarlowestate:~> rpm -qa|grep openssl
    openssl-devel-0.9.7a-35
    openssl-0.9.7a-35

    And you generally need both of them. More than likely you're just
    missing whatever mandrake versions of those devel rpms you need.

    Scott Marlowe Guest

  4. #4

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I tried to install postgresql 8.0.0 on my Mandrake 10.1 community
    > box, it puked. First it told me I was missing readline, so I compiled
    > that and got over that hump. I tried --with-openssl and again, the
    > configure stopped when it could not find crypt.... So, I d'loaded the
    > latest openssl and installed it as per the usual /usr/local/ssl etc...
    >
    > postgresql still refuses to configure for a build with openssl... now,
    > I am no Mandrake expert here, it's my first Mandrake install... but
    > does anyone have a simple explanation for this. My various RH boxes
    > all have no problems with this... postgresql built fine without
    > openssl... but I would like SSL, so I am confused here. Any tips for
    > Mandrake 10.1 and building postgresql most appreciated...
    Usually PoistgreSQL is looking for the packages

    openssl-devel & readline-devel

    Chances are you have openssl but not openssl-devel

    Try that.

    > Thanks

    > [url]http://archives.postgresql.org[/url]

    +1-503-667-4564 - [email]jdcommandprompt.com[/email] - [url]http://www.commandprompt.com[/url]
    PostgreSQL tor -- production quality tion for PostgreSQL

    subscribe-nomail command to [email]majordomopostgresql.org[/email] so that your

    Joshua D. Drake Guest

  5. #5

    You could try the Mandrake supplied RPMs for PG v8.0 that are included
    with cooker already.

    [url]ftp://sunsite.uio.no/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main/postgres*[/url]

    Use this URL:

    [url]ftp://sunsite.uio.no/linux/Mandrakelinux/devel/cooker/i586/media/main[/url]

    with URPMI, then it should install it for you, and do all the dirty
    work.

    Or if you don't want to upgrade to Cooker, you could try just
    downloading the RPMs and running URPMI <rpm1> <rpm2> ...

    I just installed it this afternoon and it worked like a charm.

    --
    Mike Benoit <ipsosnappymail.ca>

    Mike Benoit Guest