Professional Web Applications Themes

80004005 error - ASP.NET Security

I initially posted this in a different ng. I was advised that this ng was perhaps more attuned to my question. The following is my original post: ************* VB.NET 2003 on XP Pro I get the following error when I attempt to run my project. I've Googled and looked on MSKB, with no luck. Any ideas from the group? Thanks tg ************************* Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request. *********** The following is the entry that was in the Event Viewer: aspnet_wp.exe could not be ...

  1. #1

    Default 80004005 error

    *************

    *************************
    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
    web
    server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
    ***********
    The following is the entry that was in the Event Viewer:

    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
    that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
    the installation directory allow access to the configured account.

    Can someone please help with this?
    Thanks,
    tg

    TG Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: 80004005 error

    Hi,

    Thank you for the response. Regarding on the issue, I am
    finding proper resource to assist you and we will update as soon as posible.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! [url]www.microsoft.com/security(This[/url] posting is provided "AS IS",
    with no warranties, and confers no rights.)

    Steven Cheng[MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    The default worker process account on XP is ASPNET (unless you have done
    anything to explicitly override this).
    Check that ASPNET has read access to
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 and full access to
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Tempo rary ASP.NET Files. (It
    should do - this is set up when you install .NET framework)

    Are you using impersonation? If so then the impersonated user also requires
    the same access to these two folders.

    There's more info on the permissions required for the worker process account
    and impersonating account at
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnnetsec/html/SecNetHT01.asp[/url]

    If that does not solve it, here's a comprehensive checklist of things to
    look for when you get "Unable to start debugging..."
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsdebug/html/vxtbshttpservererrors.asp[/url]

    Richard.

    "TG" <tguillorems.jsc.nasa.gov> wrote in message
    news:82eff52e.0402200832.199c2c89posting.google.c om...
    > I initially posted this in a different ng. I was advised that this ng
    > was perhaps more attuned to my question. The following is my original
    > post:
    > *************
    > VB.NET 2003 on XP Pro
    >
    > I get the following error when I attempt to run my project. I've
    > Googled
    > and looked on MSKB, with no luck. Any ideas from the group?
    >
    > Thanks
    > tg
    > *************************
    > Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
    > web
    > server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
    > ***********
    > The following is the entry that was in the Event Viewer:
    >
    > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    > 80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
    > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
    > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
    >
    > Can someone please help with this?
    > Thanks,
    > tg

    richlm Guest

  4. #4

    Hello Tg,

    Thanks for posting in the group.

    Based on the problem description, the problem is: You are using VB.NET 2003
    for developing on a Windows XP box. However, you got the following error
    when debugging web app:
    Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web
    server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that
    the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the
    installation directory allow access to the configured account.

    From the error message, we can see that the problem is caused by
    insufficient rights of worker process. Generally speaking, worker process
    is running under aspnet account on Windows XP. Please refer to the
    following article and applies the steps in it:
    "PRB: "Aspnet_wp.exe Could Not Be Started" Error Message When You View an
    ASP.NET Page"
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811320[/url]

    The following article have much more information on this topic:
    "INFO: Common Errors When You Debug ASP.NET Applications in Visual Studio
    .NET"
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306172[/url]

    If the problem still can't be resolved by the above articles, please try
    reinstalling asp.net on the machine. Please refer to the following artilce
    for steps of reinstalling asp.net on the machine:
    "HOWTO: Repair IIS Mapping After You Remove and Reinstall IIS"
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/?id=306005[/url]

    Hope that helps.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Community Support

    Get Secure! 每 [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT] Guest

  5. #5

    Hello Tg,

    Has the problem been resolved? If you still get the error message, please
    feel free to post here and I am glad to be assistance.

    Thanks very much.

  6. #6

    Hi Oliver,

    Thanks very much for sharing it in the community. I believe it could
    benefit many developers here. :)

  7. #7

    Hi Bob,

    One good way for you is to use FileMon and RegMon to isolate the permission
    problem. They can be got at [url]www.sysinternals.com[/url].

    Thanks.

  8. #8

    Ho, don't forget to reboot the system for appling the changes.

    "Tom De ceuster" wrote:
    > Error 80004005 is also caused, when you change the settings of the heap size of non-graphical programs. The csrss.exe process wich handles the background processes/services.
    >
    > This setting can be found under:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\SubSystems
    > The value is Windows: (default)
    > %SystemRoot%\system32\csrss.exe ObjectDirectory=\Windows SharedSection=1024,3072,512,512 Windows=On SubSystemType=Windows ServerDll=basesrv,1 ServerDll=winsrv:UserServerDllInitialization,3 ServerDll=winsrv:ConServerDllInitialization,2 ProfileControl=Off MaxRequestThreads=16
    >
    > If you change SharedSection=1024,3072,512,512 to SharedSection=1024,3072,4096,512, the aspnet_wp.exe process gives also this kind of error. But when you change this to 2048, no problems also for the services.
    >
    > Regards
    > Tom
    >

    > "TG" wrote:
    >
    > > I initially posted this in a different ng. I was advised that this ng
    > > was perhaps more attuned to my question. The following is my original
    > > post:
    > > *************
    > > VB.NET 2003 on XP Pro
    > >
    > > I get the following error when I attempt to run my project. I've
    > > Googled
    > > and looked on MSKB, with no luck. Any ideas from the group?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > > tg
    > > *************************
    > > Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the
    > > web
    > > server. Server side-error occurred on sending debug HTTP request.
    > > ***********
    > > The following is the entry that was in the Event Viewer:
    > >
    > > aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    > > 80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    > > insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure
    > > that the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on
    > > the installation directory allow access to the configured account.
    > >
    > > Can someone please help with this?
    > > Thanks,
    > > tg

    Tom De ceuster Guest