Professional Web Applications Themes

86x installdisaster - Sun Solaris

Solaris 9 boot from CD-ROM get configuration error missing controller root file system, is not mounted or the configuration assistant exited prematurely failure to boot interpreter newer machine 128 megs memory 40 gig HD 2.4 mHrtz CPU boot from dca gives same error is there any hope get Solaris running on my machine? thanks peter...

  1. #1

    Default 86x installdisaster

    Solaris 9
    boot from CD-ROM get configuration error missing controller
    root file system, is not mounted
    or the configuration assistant exited prematurely
    failure to boot interpreter

    newer machine
    128 megs memory 40 gig HD 2.4 mHrtz CPU

    boot from dca gives same error
    is there any hope get Solaris running on my machine?
    thanks
    peter

    Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: 86x installdisaster

    Hi Peter,

    net wrote:

    snip

    please tell us Your hardware exact configuration,

    vendor of:

    mainboard, cpu
    Grafik-adapter
    hdd
    cd-rom-drive
    network interface controller
    scsi ?
    IDE-raid ?

    best regards

    joerg

    Joerg Guest

  3. #3

    net wrote:

    Was this the Installation CD or the Software 1 of 2 CD?

    I just did this and pretty much followed Chapter 14 of the
    Installation Guide. It's mostly impenetrable (too much
    confusion and hopping around between upgrade and intial
    installation discussions), but it ultimately did help me along.

    The really important thing is to get the disk partitioning right.
    It took me a while to translate the overwhelming Sunspeak to
    what actually happens on the disk (have a beer first), but I
    guess that's all part of the learning/assimilation process.

    Maybe I'll be better at installation next time, but I doubt it.
    Even though (most/some/a few of) the answers are buried
    somewhere deep in the docs, there's just too much paper with
    too much jargon and not enough "do this and this is why" in
    actual English to make it easy if you've never installed Solaris
    before or have been away from the Collective for a while.

    Having carped about all that, the software did a great job of
    figuring out my hardware and "just (mostly) working".
    Although, I never did figure out why I had to feed it two
    disks - for some reason it demanded to create an
    /export/home0. It also demanded to put swap on the same
    disk as the Solaris partition and never even bothered to
    think I might was to dedicate a small disk to swap.

    Gofigure.

    Good luck,
    Dave

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    "Dave Littell" <net> wrote in message news:supernews.com...

    Because it doesn't all fit on one CDROM.

    Because the automounter owns the /home filesystem. One of the first Solaris
    commandments you should learn is, thou shall not put user directories into
    /home. Go read the FAQ.

    And what's wrong with having swap both on your boot disk and your
    dedicated disk? Once you've got your system installed you can add as
    much swap space as you want on whatever disk you want.

    The OS needs swap space available before the point at which the command
    can run that adds additional swap disks. There are ways to separate the
    default boot, root, and swap filesystems onto different devices but nobody
    seriously thinks the installer's current default arrangement is a significant
    impediment (and/or people that do have an issue with it have enough
    experience to customize their systems and don't expect the installer to
    know every last trick in the book (especially not one that 99.99% of the
    installations don't have any use for)).

    Bruce Guest

  5. #5

    <net> writes:

    Does that machine use a chipset from "SiS"?

    If that's true, then have a look at the following thread:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=bgqjck%24lhj%241%40sunflower.man.po znan.pl
    Juergen Guest