Professional Web Applications Themes

A 1901 Census Decoder for the Macintosh - Mac Applications & Software

Those of you who, like me, are intersted in genealogy research will probably be painfully aware that there is no Mac equivalent to the Windows tools that enable you to sort results from the 1901 UK census into families. I have made an attempt to rectify this by writing a very basic 1901 Census Decoder and a ReadMe that helps you use it. (You can't just copy and paste the results pages on a Mac - it doesn't pick up the vital data!) The first attempt, version 1.0, has been around a month or so now and the one problem ...

  1. #1

    Default A 1901 Census Decoder for the Macintosh

    Those of you who, like me, are intersted in genealogy research will
    probably be painfully aware that there is no Mac equivalent to the
    Windows tools that enable you to sort results from the 1901 UK census
    into families.

    I have made an attempt to rectify this by writing a very basic 1901
    Census Decoder and a ReadMe that helps you use it. (You can't just copy
    and paste the results pages on a Mac - it doesn't pick up the vital
    data!)

    The first attempt, version 1.0, has been around a month or so now and
    the one problem that surfaced has been fixed. I have now released
    version 1.1, and am pleased to say that Judy and Tom Lundeen have agreed
    to host it on their YorksGen web site. You will find it at:

    [url]http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/Mac_1901CensusDecoder.html[/url]

    This will take you to a page that outlines what it is and what it does,
    and contains the link from which you can download it. It's a StuffIt
    file, about 56K (and that includes the ReadMe). It will run in the
    Classic environment under OSX, and AFAIK under any previous Macintosh
    system (at least back to System 6).

    It is Freeware.

    If you do use it, and like it, feel free to mention it on any list or
    newsgroup.

    If you don't like it, or have a problem with it, let me know! I'll do
    what I can to improve or fix it. But I cannot extract the piece and
    folio numbers - QinetiQ have seen to that!

    --
    Beware the SPAMblock - if your mailer doesn't see my Reply-To:, use
    john at yclept dot freeserve dot co dot uk

  2. #2

    Default Re: A 1901 Census Decoder for the Macintosh

    John Hill wrote:
    > version 1.1, and am pleased to say that Judy and Tom Lundeen have agreed
    > to host it on their YorksGen web site. You will find it at:
    >
    > [url]http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/Mac_1901CensusDecoder.html[/url]
    From what URL can we download the Yorkshire 1901 census files?
    e.g. Leeds, Skipton, Wharfedale et al.
    George Williams Guest

  3. #3

    George Williams <nyar1ath0tepmac.com> wrote:
    > John Hill wrote:
    >
    > > version 1.1, and am pleased to say that Judy and Tom Lundeen have agreed
    > > to host it on their YorksGen web site. You will find it at:
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.lundeen.org/yorksgen/Mac_1901CensusDecoder.html[/url]
    >
    > From what URL can we download the Yorkshire 1901 census files?
    > e.g. Leeds, Skipton, Wharfedale et al.
    It's not quite that easy - you have to pay for pages you actually
    download.

    Go to:

    [url]http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/[/url]

    and take it from there. If you use my decoder, you can learn a lot
    without actually paying anything - e-mail me if you need help.