Professional Web Applications Themes

"A connection to the server could not be established" - Trying to open existing project - ASP.NET General

I came in today and tried to edit a project that I was working with, locally, at the tail end of last week. This web project was created, hosted, and only edited locally. I truly cannot remember anything that I installed/changed on my workstation that could have goofed up my IIS, but I simply cannot get VS 2003 to be able to open an exiting or create a new web project. I have tried the following: * Uninstall and Reinstall IIS (making sure that FrontPage extensions are installed) * Put all but obvious '.Net Guest' accounts into both the 'Administrators' ...

  1. #1

    Default "A connection to the server could not be established" - Trying to open existing project

    I came in today and tried to edit a project that I was working with,
    locally, at the tail end of last week. This web project was created,
    hosted, and only edited locally.

    I truly cannot remember anything that I installed/changed on my
    workstation that could have goofed up my IIS, but I simply cannot get
    VS 2003 to be able to open an exiting or create a new web project.

    I have tried the following:
    * Uninstall and Reinstall IIS (making sure that FrontPage extensions
    are installed)
    * Put all but obvious '.Net Guest' accounts into both the
    'Administrators' and 'Debugger Users' Groups.
    * Reapplied WindowsXP Sp1 since I found an MSDN KB article about WinXP
    reporting this problem after installing IPv6 (which I have not done.)
    * Deleted all projects from my local machine, got latest version from
    Source Safe, set the project folders as 'Web Applications' and tried
    to open them.

    I have searched everywhere I know to look, including this news group.
    My next step (after I wait a few hours to see if there are any
    suggestions) is to uninstall VS.Net 2003, cross my fingers, and
    reinstall. Obviously, this is killing my productivity during a time
    that I just don't have much free time. (Do any of us have free time?)

    Thanks for any suggestions, including "Uninstall/Reinstall VS.Net
    2003".

    -Kevin Buchan
    [email]kevin.buchanDONTSPAMtroutmansanders.com[/email]
    Kevin Buchan Guest

  2. #2

    have you tried this
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q306005[/url]

    "Kevin Buchan" <kevin.buchantroutmanNOSPAMsanders.com> wrote in message
    > I came in today and tried to edit a project that I was working with,
    > locally, at the tail end of last week. This web project was created,
    > hosted, and only edited locally.
    >
    > I truly cannot remember anything that I installed/changed on my
    > workstation that could have goofed up my IIS, but I simply cannot get
    > VS 2003 to be able to open an exiting or create a new web project.
    >
    > I have tried the following:
    > * Uninstall and Reinstall IIS (making sure that FrontPage extensions
    > are installed)
    > * Put all but obvious '.Net Guest' accounts into both the
    > 'Administrators' and 'Debugger Users' Groups.
    > * Reapplied WindowsXP Sp1 since I found an MSDN KB article about WinXP
    > reporting this problem after installing IPv6 (which I have not done.)
    > * Deleted all projects from my local machine, got latest version from
    > Source Safe, set the project folders as 'Web Applications' and tried
    > to open them.
    >
    > I have searched everywhere I know to look, including this news group.
    > My next step (after I wait a few hours to see if there are any
    > suggestions) is to uninstall VS.Net 2003, cross my fingers, and
    > reinstall. Obviously, this is killing my productivity during a time
    > that I just don't have much free time. (Do any of us have free time?)
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions, including "Uninstall/Reinstall VS.Net
    > 2003".
    >

    > -Kevin Buchan
    > [email]kevin.buchanDONTSPAMtroutmansanders.com[/email]

    Alvin Bruney Guest

  3. #3

    I had tried the first entry in the KB article you refenced, but had
    not tried the second part.

    <time passes>

    I have now tried both, including trying the first again after ensuring
    that the DLL is registered and I still get the same error either when
    pulling up an existing project or trying to create a new Web Project.

    Thanks for the suggestion!

    -Kevin

  4. #4

    No other suggestions? OK, I'm going to reinstall VS.Net and report my
    results, in case anyone else runs across this problem.

    -Kevin

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 13:35:18 -0400, Kevin Buchan

  5. #5

    OK, uninstalling IIS and VS.Net then reinstalling IIS and VS.Net has
    not worked either.... still researching a solution while my
    development is halted.

    -Kevin Buchan
    [email]kevin.buchanDONTSPAMtroutmansanders.com[/email]

    On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:03:17 -0400, Kevin Buchan

  6. #6

    is iis running when you try to open your project. verify this thru control
    manager. forgive me but we have to eliminate the obvious