Professional Web Applications Themes

A filter or effect to give "roughed up" look on apparel??? - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

I am a designer for an apparel screenprinting company and recently many of the clients have wanted their logos or prints to have a "roughed up", weathered", or "old" look. Does anybody know if there is a way to get this look from Illustrator 9? Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default A filter or effect to give "roughed up" look on apparel???

    M_Jensen@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Rasterize it. :D
    nilk_narf@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    OK, I tried to rasterize this particular image, but it just makes it bitmapped. Do you have any suggestions for settings to use in rasterizing to give that random rough look?
    M_Jensen@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I'm sorry. I was just kidding. It's just that rasterizing always roughens up my illustrations. You will get some excellent advice from some real pros shortly. :)
    nilk_narf@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    oh man, I feel like a total idiot. . . . .I am just SOOO glad you were kidding. If you could have only seen me trying to rasterize at different dpi's. DUH!
    M_Jensen@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    :( I feel guilty. I'm sorry.
    nilk_narf@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    At least somebody replied!!!
    M_Jensen@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    :)
    nilk_narf@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Select your objects and go to Effect - Distort & Transform - Roughen. Play around wih the controls there a bit, especially at the low end (1% or so).
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Something I have done to get this effect is to scan something with texture (like crumpled paper, or whatever). Scan it as line art, it should hopefully look like a bunch of random specks and crinkles, then vectorize the scan in Streamline or Silhouette. In Illustrator change the color of the now vector bits to white and put it on a layer above whatever you want to look weathered. It may take some playing to get the result you want, but once you have your weathered layer looking how you want it, you can reuse it for other similar projects.

    -Jason
    Jason_Howard@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I don't recall if it's in AI9 or not, but...

    In AICS, Effect>BrushStrokes>Spatter gives a basic distressed appearance. On vector stuff, it's a live effect with adjustable sliders. But it also works on raster images as a fixed effect and gives a more finely-textured edge depending upon the resolution of the raster.

    Take one of the vector logos you want to appear distressed, OptionDrag two clones of it. Rasterize one of the clones at 150 ppi(medium); the other at 300ppi (high). Select all three. Apply Spatter to them all with the same settings to see the...uh...effect that the raster resolution has on the effect.

    JET
    James_Talmage@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Huh? It works on vectors?
    Doug_Katz@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    "Huh? It works on vectors?"

    Sure. It's a raster effect, so if you expand the appearance, it will
    rasterize to the setting you have in Effects>Doent Raster Effects
    Settings, but when applied to vectors, it's a live effect which you can edit
    after applying it.

  14. #14

    I'm not so sure James? I tried it on Vectors and nothing!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Has to be RGB. Works really nicely! But of course, then it's not vectors.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    OK, Thank you SOOO much for your responses, but the problem I am having when I try these things is that it only affects the outside edges of the image, I need something that will "Rough up" the entire image. For example, if I have a solid oval with negative space text, the middle parts of the oval need to have the spattered appearance also. Does that make sense?

  17. #17

    Really, to do that you have to work with pixels, and Phototshop is the palce for that, and then it isn't vector. But try this - once your doent is in RGB mode, and your objects are RGB, go to the Effects menu to Artistic - Sponge, and play with the settings there.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    In Freehand with the pen tool I have drawn circles and shapes of different sizes. Using shape adjust and gradients I made wrinkles and folds up and down for a windbreaker jacket illustration. I am sure with Ill. you have the tools. The drawing is not as tedious as it reads, duplicate the shapes and folds reversing the gradients etc. I know of ways to use paper textures for this, but on RGB Raster pics. My image had to scale for different size prints.
    Chuck_Wolff@adobeforums.com Guest