Professional Web Applications Themes

A little hint - Informix

Hi, I know i'll burn hell for a long time for this post, but here I go ;) I'm a sysadmin/webadmin and I looking for a little help. A few time ago I used to work with IDS 7.31 (win2k). A nice feature was the ability of avoiding repeteable reads, reads uncommited wich are in fact a part of the SQL standar by locking the row's, so the concurrency was better. Right now I've moved to a new jobs, and although we work with linux (i do prefer linux rather than windows) here, I have postgreSQL available. PostgreSQL includes a ...

  1. #1

    Default A little hint

    Hi,

    I know i'll burn hell for a long time for this post, but here I go ;)

    I'm a sysadmin/webadmin and I looking for a little help.

    A few time ago I used to work with IDS 7.31 (win2k). A nice feature
    was the ability of avoiding repeteable reads, reads uncommited wich are
    in fact a part of the SQL standar by locking the row's, so the
    concurrency was better.

    Right now I've moved to a new jobs, and although we work with linux
    (i do prefer linux rather than windows) here, I have postgreSQL
    available. PostgreSQL includes a new feature called MVCC, but has
    problem whenever two transactions are using the same row(s). The
    alternative is a table lock, wich is worse (IMHO).

    After all this stuff, my question is :

    - Is there a 'free' version of Informix for linux platforms (mind
    the 'free'. As IBM bought Informix, maybe there is some Informix's stuff
    free avalailable),

    - Is there any newsgroup about postgreSQL ( I've checked
    alt.postgres, but no posting at all). Looking for information I've been
    checking [url]www.postgresql.org[/url], and a lot of url's, but seems that there
    are not much information about that).

    Again, t

    Gustavo Perez Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A little hint

    Try [url]www.iiug.org[/url]. You need to become a member, but it's free.
    > - Is there any newsgroup about postgreSQL ( I've checked
    > alt.postgres, but no posting at all). Looking for information I've been
    > checking [url]www.postgresql.org[/url], and a lot of url's, but seems that there
    > are not much information about that).
    Try news:linux.postgres never been there, but it looks like a logical
    location.

    Cheers,
    --
    Mark.

    +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+
    | Mark D. Stock mailto:mdstockMydasSolutions.com |//////// /|
    | Mydas Solutions Ltd [url]http://MydasSolutions.com[/url] |///// / //|
    | +-----------------------------------+//// / ///|
    | |We value your comments, which have |/// / ////|
    | |been recorded and automatically |// / /////|
    | |emailed back to us for our records.|/ ////////|
    +----------------------+-----------------------------------+-----------+

    sending to informix-list
    Mark D. Stock Guest

  3. #3

    Gustavo Perez wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I know i'll burn hell for a long time for this post, but here I go ;)
    >
    > I'm a sysadmin/webadmin and I looking for a little help.
    >
    > A few time ago I used to work with IDS 7.31 (win2k). A nice feature
    > was the ability of avoiding repeteable reads, reads uncommited wich are
    > in fact a part of the SQL standar by locking the row's, so the
    > concurrency was better.
    >
    > Right now I've moved to a new jobs, and although we work with linux
    > (i do prefer linux rather than windows) here, I have postgreSQL
    > available. PostgreSQL includes a new feature called MVCC, but has
    > problem whenever two transactions are using the same row(s). The
    > alternative is a table lock, wich is worse (IMHO).
    >
    > After all this stuff, my question is :
    >
    > - Is there a 'free' version of Informix for linux platforms (mind
    > the 'free'. As IBM bought Informix, maybe there is some Informix's stuff
    > free avalailable),
    Try [url]www.iiug.org[/url]. You need to become a member, but it's free.
    > - Is there any newsgroup about postgreSQL ( I've checked
    > alt.postgres, but no posting at all). Looking for information I've been
    > checking [url]www.postgresql.org[/url], and a lot of url's, but seems that there
    > are not much information about that).
    Most news readers allow a search, and entering "postgres" on mine lists
    groups like news:linux.postgres and news:list.linux-activists.postgres.
    Never been there though.

    I would have thought that MySQL was a more logical route on Linux.

    Cheers,
    --
    Mark.

    +----------------------------------------------------------+-----------+

  4. #4

    > - Is there a 'free' version of Informix for linux platforms (mind
    > the 'free'. As IBM bought Informix, maybe there is some Informix's stuff
    > free avalailable),
    There is no such thing as "free" version of Informix who has some value.

    (To me... at least).

    Chucho!

    --

    Atte,