Professional Web Applications Themes

A little shameless bragging - Adobe Photoshop Elements

In the September/October 2003 issue of Pieceworks magazine, on page 8, is my reason to brag. The ad on the lower left corner is my work! A friend of mine is a needlework deigner who is primarily known only in the Embroiderers' Guild. She's looking to go a little more commerical - and she asked for my help! She had an idea of what she wanted. I have the software - PSE2. And it worked beautifully. The only problem I had was that the publisher wanted CMYK, not RGB. Fortunately I have Acrobat Standard and was able to send them ...

  1. #1

    Default A little shameless bragging

    In the September/October 2003 issue of Pieceworks magazine, on page 8, is my reason to brag. The ad on the lower left corner is my work!

    A friend of mine is a needlework deigner who is primarily known only in the Embroiderers' Guild. She's looking to go a little more commerical - and she asked for my help!

    She had an idea of what she wanted. I have the software - PSE2. And it worked beautifully. The only problem I had was that the publisher wanted CMYK, not RGB. Fortunately I have Acrobat Standard and was able to send them a CMYK .pdf file. Thank you Adobe!

    Who needs Photoshop? :-)
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A little shameless bragging

    JoAnn,

    I am so proud for you!!! Congratulations :)

    Would it be possible to scan the add and put it on a website ? I'd like to see it (as I'm sure many
    of us would)

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    I can post it to a temp page on the website I maintain for the Embroiderers' Guild. My scanner is just an inexpensive one I've had for about three years. I'll see if I can get a decent scan and then save it in PSE at 72dpi.

    [url]www.embroidery-marega.org/nte.htm[/url]

    And would somebody please explain something to me? Why would I scan something in at 600 dpi and then save it as 72 dpi for thew web? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks JoAnn! Wonderfull piece of work... How much time did you put in it ?

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Joann, when you're scanning at higher resolutions (300 ppi or more) you're
    really trying to preserve as much of the original picture information as
    possible - in case you want to make a large print from it later. But
    computer monitors can only show a full-screen image of 800 pixels by 600
    pixels or 1024 pixels by 768 pixels or thereabouts, so all those extra
    pixels must be discarded when converting the scan to a web-size image (if
    you scan an 8-by-10 image at 600 ppi, you'll have a file thats 4800 pixels
    by 6000 pixels!). But preserving that original high-resolution scan -
    preferably as a PSD or TIFF file, is really important. That's why Save for
    Web is so nice; it allows you to downsize your original image for web and
    e-mail use and save it as a JPEG of a different name, thus keeping the
    original intact.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    Your friend does beautiful needlework ! So you took the picture and added the font ? Looks really great ! Thanks for sharing Joann

    Hi Chuck ! the pixel king :)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  7. #7

    Jodi, for a minute I thought you said the 'Pixie King'....whew!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  8. #8

    lmao, thanks for the 10:15 roll on the chair...I mean the laugh :)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  9. #9

    I will admit that I spent more time trying to figure out how to get a CMYK file to the publisher than I did on the ad itself. It only took me a couple of hours.

    I had a bit of a learning curve because I used several layers plus I had to figure out how to insert the full sampler and then scale it down. The cypher is from PCStitch (cross-stitch designing software) so it had to be converted and inserted.

    And to top it all off - I turned down any pay for doing it. I've been particiapting in Nan's pilot classes where we proof-stitch and edit her new designs. She's never made me pay for my kits which can cost over $100, easily. I figure it's only fair I do the work for free.

    I need an honest opinion, is it good enough to ad to my resume? Or should I wait until after B and C are released and I hae a few more ads under my belt?
    JoAnn Amerson Guest

  10. #10

    JoAnn - it's a nice simple piece of work, that shows the design (which is a stunner) very clearly and fits the style of the magazine - which I used to buy but got too expensive and too hard to get hold of when the $Australian fell out of bed a few years ago. It's a really good job.
    I must pull some of my embroidery out. I have at least half a dozen UnFinished Objects lying in cupboards waiting for me to go back to them.

    Susan S
    Susan S. Guest

  11. #11

    JoAnn, That is beautiful work.

    I am just beginning in this program and look forward to being able to do pictures as well as you've done.

    I don't blame you for bragging. I would, too!

    Lorace
    Lorace Graham Guest

  12. #12

    JO ANN,
    I tried the url and also Pieceworks but couldn't find your work. I will be going to the bookstore Sunday so hope they have that magazine. We all need to pat ourselves on the back more often.
    Marty
    Marty Landolt Guest