Professional Web Applications Themes

a minimalist linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of ...

  1. #1

    Default a minimalist linux

    I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    hardware doentation?


    Alex Kendrick Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    Alex Kendrick wrote:
    > I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    > problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    > though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    > minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    > managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    > minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    > second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    > hardware doentation?
    Take a look at Slackware. It gives you more control of what is
    installed than redhat does.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. [url]http://counter.li.org/[/url]
    Slackware 9.0 Kernel 2.4.21 i686 (GCC) 3.3
    Uptime: 7 days, 10:49, 1 user, load average: 2.31, 1.67, 1.43

    David Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    Alex Kendrick wrote:
    > I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    > problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    > though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    > minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    > managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    > minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    > second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    > hardware doentation?
    Here's a link to a paper detailing a bare-bones Debian install. It walks
    you through the process.

    [url]http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=2016[/url]

    Jim Bowering Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    David wrote:
    > Alex Kendrick wrote:
    >
    >> I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    >> problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    >> though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    >> minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone
    >> has
    >> managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    >> minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    >> second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    >> hardware doentation?
    >
    >
    > Take a look at Slackware. It gives you more control of what is installed
    > than redhat does.
    >
    Slackware is the best in this aspect.

    Gus

    Gustavo Perez Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    Alex Kendrick wrote:
    > I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    > problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    > though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    > minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    > managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    > minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be.
    CRUX
    [[url]http://crux.nu/][/url]

    ROOT GNU/Linux
    [[url]http://rootlinux.sourceforge.net/][/url]

    Core Linux Distribution
    [[url]http://coredistro.sourceforge.net/][/url]

    Linux From Scratch
    [[url]http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/][/url]

    Sime Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    In article <biataf$2q3$1hercules.btinternet.com>,
    Alex Kendrick <alex_6136> wrote:
    | I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    | problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    | though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    | minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    | managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    | minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    | second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    | hardware doentation?

    If you didn't choose a custom install you didn't get the smallest
    installation you could. And after that you can remove a bit of stuff
    using rpm delete.

    I'm going to setup a DNS/NTP/firewall machine tomorrow using RH, just to
    see how small I can go, the biggest issue is that RH insists on a huge
    /boot partition, and won't install without it. Note that to get truly
    tiny you should install only the o/s and minimal tools, then build the
    stuff like DNS, NTS, X, etc, by hand and customized. You really have to
    have a need to bother, disk is cheap.

    You can go really tiny with Slackware, although I haven't tried a small
    install with recent 9.x versions. Well, maybe tomorrow.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
    this we should do freely and generously.
    -Benjamin Franklin (who would have liked open source)
    bill davidsen Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:14:16 +0000 (UTC), bill davidsen <davidsentmr.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > In article <biataf$2q3$1hercules.btinternet.com>,
    > Alex Kendrick <alex_6136> wrote:
    >| I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    >| problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    >| though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    >| minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    >| managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    >| minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    >| second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    >| hardware doentation?
    >
    > If you didn't choose a custom install you didn't get the smallest
    > installation you could. And after that you can remove a bit of stuff
    > using rpm delete.

    That's the HARD WAY. Far easier to start with the base system an build
    on it.

    Alan C


    --

    take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- [url]http://tinyurl.com/l55a[/url]
    spammers hate this program because they can't beat it

    Alan Connor Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    In article <vdJ9b.5395$UN4.284newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
    Alan Connor <alanconnorearthlink.net> wrote:
    | On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:14:16 +0000 (UTC), bill davidsen <davidsentmr.com> wrote:
    | >
    | >
    | > In article <biataf$2q3$1hercules.btinternet.com>,
    | > Alex Kendrick <alex_6136> wrote:
    | >| I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    | >| problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    | >| though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    | >| minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    | >| managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    | >| minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    | >| second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    | >| hardware doentation?
    | >
    | > If you didn't choose a custom install you didn't get the smallest
    | > installation you could. And after that you can remove a bit of stuff
    | > using rpm delete.
    |
    |
    | That's the HARD WAY. Far easier to start with the base system an build
    | on it.

    You don't build on it, you spend hours deciding what crap the base
    install has that you don't want, then which rpm has it, then what you
    break by uninstalling that rpm...

    It's far easier to not install than remove. You don't "build on" for a
    minimal install, there are no canned options which are minimalist,
    unfortunately.

    The other advantage is that you can save the kickstart file and
    duplicate the install, or edit that to add/remove packages as you
    discover a better way.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
    As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
    this we should do freely and generously.
    -Benjamin Franklin (who would have liked open source)
    bill davidsen Guest

  9. #9

    Default Re: a minimalist linux

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:26:34 +0000 (UTC), bill davidsen <davidsentmr.com> wrote:
    >
    >
    > In article <vdJ9b.5395$UN4.284newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et>,
    > Alan Connor <alanconnorearthlink.net> wrote:
    >| On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:14:16 +0000 (UTC), bill davidsen <davidsentmr.com> wrote:
    >| >
    >| >
    >| > In article <biataf$2q3$1hercules.btinternet.com>,
    >| > Alex Kendrick <alex_6136> wrote:
    >| >| I installed red hat linux about a month ago and im still learning it. The
    >| >| problem with it is that my setup is all full of crap i dont want, even
    >| >| though i setup the smallest distribution i could. I know there are really
    >| >| minimalist distributions out there, and i would like to know if anyone has
    >| >| managed to install some because i would like to do the same. I want a
    >| >| minimalist setup so that i can build it up into want i want to be. On an
    >| >| second unrelated point, anyone know where i can get hold of good detailed
    >| >| hardware doentation?
    >| >
    >| > If you didn't choose a custom install you didn't get the smallest
    >| > installation you could. And after that you can remove a bit of stuff
    >| > using rpm delete.
    >|
    >|
    >| That's the HARD WAY. Far easier to start with the base system an build
    >| on it.
    >
    > You don't build on it, you spend hours deciding what crap the base
    > install has that you don't want, then which rpm has it, then what you
    > break by uninstalling that rpm...
    >
    I didn't say "base install", I said "base system".

    kernel-basic libs-shell-minimal utilities.

    > It's far easier to not install than remove. You don't "build on" for a
    > minimal install, there are no canned options which are minimalist,
    > unfortunately.
    >
    We agree completely.

    > The other advantage is that you can save the kickstart file and
    > duplicate the install, or edit that to add/remove packages as you
    > discover a better way.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Davidsen <davidsentmr.com> CTO, TMR Associates
    > As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
    > glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
    > this we should do freely and generously.
    oversize sig trimmed. 4 lines are the limit, Bill.


    Alan C


    --

    take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- [url]http://tinyurl.com/l55a[/url]
    spammers hate this program because they can't beat it

    Alan Connor Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: March 11th, 01:37 AM
  2. How to start Linux on Win2K/Linux system?
    By Leo in forum Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 24th, 05:18 PM
  3. gcc lib for a minimalist distro
    By in forum Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: September 18th, 11:19 AM
  4. Minimalist's Image Manipulator ( MIM )
    By Peter L in forum Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: September 7th, 05:22 PM
  5. Question on which Linux Binaries to d/l for Linux Redhat 7.0 ?
    By K T in forum Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: August 22nd, 05:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139