Professional Web Applications Themes

A newbie Flash application streaming... - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Hi Folks, I work for the organization with the Windows Media Server in place, which I administer. I was hoping there would be some level of similarity in terms of workflow between Windows Media and Flash Video 2 servers, but after installing FVS2 I learned that it's a much more complex tool... Here is my situation: My organization's external vendor is going to deliver an interactive Flash module containing a video clip. Total running time of the clip is about 20 minutes, so the SWF file is quite big. A group email with a link to the intranet web page ...

  1. #1

    Default A newbie Flash application streaming...

    Hi Folks,

    I work for the organization with the Windows Media Server in place, which I
    administer. I was hoping there would be some level of similarity in terms of
    workflow between Windows Media and Flash Video 2 servers, but after installing
    FVS2 I learned that it's a much more complex tool...

    Here is my situation: My organization's external vendor is going to deliver an
    interactive Flash module containing a video clip. Total running time of the
    clip is about 20 minutes, so the SWF file is quite big. A group email with a
    link to the intranet web page containing this module is going to be sent out to
    the audience of about 300 people. It's obvious that this content has to be
    streamed instead of pushed and here comes my headache... Being in the windows
    media world, I'd create a clip with certain bitrate, publish it on the server,
    set the limits in terms of viewers or bandwidth, or use multicast for unlimited
    audience and that's it...

    What am I suppose to do in case of Flash? I browsed through the thick manual
    supplied with FVS2, but didn't find answers to the following questions:

    1. How will I "publish" SWF module containing video using FVS2?
    2. Is it required to build a Flash application for the use with FVS2 (in terms
    of bitrate, audience, etc.)? Do I need to talk to the vendor who's developing
    it?
    3. Is there any good reference or study material (tutorial(s), books, etc.)
    out there regarding this?

    I know my question is quite broad but I'm looking for something to start
    working with...

    I'm quite a strong user of Flash including ActionScript so I'm not afraid of
    going deeper to the technical level...

    Thanks a lot in advance

    Brani

    Iluzia Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A newbie Flash application streaming...

    1. How will I "publish" SWF module containing video using FVS2?

    The video does not go inside the swf. The swf communicates with the FMS and
    receives a fully seekable stream which is a FLV file.

    See also [url]http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flv_download.html[/url]

    2. Is it required to build a Flash application for the use with FVS2 (in
    terms
    of bitrate, audience, etc.)? Do I need to talk to the vendor who's
    developing
    it?
    A Flash movie is required for the FMS server.

    The bitrate as such is done when you encode the digital movie file to the
    FLV file format. Flash 8 has a decent encoder and there are more robust
    third party encoders. See
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flv_live.html[/url]

    3. Is there any good reference or study material (tutorial(s), books, etc.)
    out there regarding this?
    [url]http://flashcomguru.com/console/index.cfm[/url]
    Although written for FCS, this is still the staple to have if you need to
    develop in FMS.
    [url]http://www.flash-communications.net/[/url]

    --
    Lon Hosford
    [url]www.lonhosford.com[/url]
    "Iluzia" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
[...]

    Motion Maker Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Motion Maker. It's up and running now and it's working.

    Could you please point me to the information how can I administer the server
    in terms of maximum allowed users or bandwith, how can I customize user
    messages (such as server is busy, try later, etc.) or where to find them? I
    didn't find these thing in the administration console where I'd expect them...

    I also need to keep track of viewers (logging). This is apparently available
    for a while but it disapears from the console after a while. Is it possible to
    define a specific location of the log file recording in some rasonable format?

    Thanks a again.

    Brani

    mokrofuz Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: A newbie Flash application streaming question...

    FMS keeps logs for each application instance. Look in your FMS install dir>logs
    directory You'll see a directory for each vhost (or just the default vhost if
    you haven't added any). In the vhost directory, look in the applications
    directory. You'll find logs for each application there.

    There's also an access log in .flv format in the FMS install
    dir>applications>admin>streams>_definst_ directory. I've never used the .flv
    log for anything, so I don't have any pointers there.

    I prefer to do my own stats tracking using AMFPHP and a database. Part of the
    reason for that is because I spend a lot of time working with FCS 1.5, which
    has very little to offer in the way of logs.

    JayCharles Guest