Professional Web Applications Themes

A Newbie's Question about Unix Programming Examples - UNIX Programming

Dear Friends, I am not sure whether I should ask questions in this group, but I really don't know a better place. I just begin to learn programming under unix and was trying to find good websites about Unix/Linux Programming with C or C++, but to my disapointment, I can hardly find some good resources. Now I am reading Richard Stevens's Book "Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment". But I always have a problem that I don't know how to use the functions and methods he taught in the book. It sounds absurd, but it is really my situation. So ...

  1. #1

    Default A Newbie's Question about Unix Programming Examples

    Dear Friends,
    I am not sure whether I should ask questions in this group, but I
    really don't know a better place.

    I just begin to learn programming under unix and was trying to find
    good websites about Unix/Linux Programming with C or C++, but to my
    disapointment, I can hardly find some good resources.

    Now I am reading Richard Stevens's Book "Advanced Programming in
    the UNIX Environment". But I always have a problem that I don't
    know how to use the functions and methods he taught in the book.
    It sounds absurd, but it is really my situation. So I am wondering
    whether you know any websites that have good examples of some projects.
    I think it is good for me to get some idea from others' examples.

    Thanks a lot for your help.

    Best,
    Haoyu
    Haoyu Guest

  2. #2

    com (Haoyu Zhang) wrote:

    Here's one,

    http://www.daimi.au.dk/~kasperd/comp.os.linux.development.faq.html

    Well, the purpose of the book is to teach you how to use them.

    However, it assumes that you do know C fairly well. If you are
    learning C, perhaps a more useful approach would be C first and
    the UNIX environment second. I'm not familiar with what is
    available for C books, but I'd start with "The C Programming
    Languages" 2nd Ed. by K&R first, and go from there.

    Stevens' book, however, is excellent for learning unix. It has
    the added "advantage" of being a bit aged, which means it
    doesn't mention Linux or anything else that came along in the
    past dozen years. At first that will appear to be a major
    disadvantage, but in fact you can turn it into a major plus.
    All you have to do is debug the examples! Trust me, by the time
    you get them to work you'll know a lot more than you would have
    learned had they all been a match for a modern Linux box to
    start with.

    A little help is in order though. First, he uses some header
    files that are included in all examples to allow the cruft to be
    hidden away and not distract from the example. But the header
    files need to be corrected. You *must* begin at the start of
    the book and work your way through it one page at a time or it
    is impossible to make sense of examples that are based on

    As for the header files...

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_search

    do a search on two words: linux apue.

    I got 900 some hits, and in the first few were several that
    offered downloadable source code for the examples. I'm sure
    that several of them will have corrected header files to
    allow the examples to compile on modern Linux systems.

    Incidentally, your request is not at all absurd. Different
    people learn in different ways. Your way of learning is quite
    acceptable, assuming it works for you. I say that, because my
    approach is much the same. As a result I spend a *lot* of time
    leafing through books like Stevens' and doing web and Usenet
    searches using google's advanced search pages.

    --
    Floyd L. Davidson <http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson>
    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) com

  3. #3

    Dear Floyd,
    Thank you very very much for your reply. It is so clear, convincing
    as well as helpful. I will take your advice and keep working step
    by step. Really really feel thankful.

    Best,
    Haoyu
    Haoyu Guest