Professional Web Applications Themes

A note to add to ASPFAQ.com for database compacting - ASP Database

I'd like to add my 2 cents from the school of hard knocks to [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url] I get this error after going in Access to Tools, Database Utilities, Compact and Repair Database... Error Type: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005) [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x2a4 Thread 0x5cc DBC 0x15d18bc Jet'. /copydata.asp, line 135 I checked the security tab of the file and noticed that the Compact and Repair operation had reset the securities settings, causing the error. Each time I compact and repair the database, the security ...

  1. #1

    Default A note to add to ASPFAQ.com for database compacting

    I'd like to add my 2 cents from the school of hard knocks to
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]

    I get this error after going in Access to Tools, Database Utilities,
    Compact and Repair Database...

    Error Type:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
    registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x2a4 Thread
    0x5cc DBC 0x15d18bc Jet'.
    /copydata.asp, line 135

    I checked the security tab of the file and noticed that the Compact
    and Repair operation had reset the securities settings, causing the
    error. Each time I compact and repair the database, the security
    settings get reset and I have to go back and manually edit them to fix
    the problem.

    -Mike
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Just for the record, two things.

    When using .mdb files, you should control the security at the directory
    level and set the DB to inherit permissions from the directory it's in,
    unless your database will always be read-only. The reason for this is that
    if a .ldb file needs to be created when you connect, you will need the
    appropriate permissions on the directory in order for that file to be
    created and then deleted. (Note this is just a conclusion I've come to on
    my own, not anything I read in a Microsoft book or anything! So, I could be
    wrong. :] )

    Also, you should be using OLEDB connections instead of ODBC. See here:
    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126[/url]

    Ray at home

    "Mike" <mike_newsgroups> wrote in message
    news:6a68ace3.0408101749.7ed254aeposting.google.c om...
    > I'd like to add my 2 cents from the school of hard knocks to
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]
    >
    > I get this error after going in Access to Tools, Database Utilities,
    > Compact and Repair Database...
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
    > registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x2a4 Thread
    > 0x5cc DBC 0x15d18bc Jet'.
    > /copydata.asp, line 135
    >
    > I checked the security tab of the file and noticed that the Compact
    > and Repair operation had reset the securities settings, causing the
    > error. Each time I compact and repair the database, the security
    > settings get reset and I have to go back and manually edit them to fix
    > the problem.
    >
    > -Mike

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    This is because when access does the compact & repair operations it has
    to create a new temporary file. Then the new file inherits the NTFS
    permissions of the folder in question depending on the rules of NTFS
    security. Thus your problem is that you have to high of security set
    for your access folder.

    One thing you might consider is creating a directory just for you access
    file(s) and setting the folders security so that you can still access
    them from the Internet.

    This will help you out because it will only give the Internet access to
    the files needed and also a compact & repair operation will not cause
    you any problems.

    The only change I suggest is to make note of NTFS security inheritance
    and how it effects an access database that has had a compact & repair
    operation performed on it.

    Mike wrote:
    > I'd like to add my 2 cents from the school of hard knocks to
    > [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2009[/url]
    >
    > I get this error after going in Access to Tools, Database Utilities,
    > Compact and Repair Database...
    >
    > Error Type:
    > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
    > [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open
    > registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0x2a4 Thread
    > 0x5cc DBC 0x15d18bc Jet'.
    > /copydata.asp, line 135
    >
    > I checked the security tab of the file and noticed that the Compact
    > and Repair operation had reset the securities settings, causing the
    > error. Each time I compact and repair the database, the security
    > settings get reset and I have to go back and manually edit them to fix
    > the problem.
    >
    > -Mike
    joker Guest

  4. #4

    I set the database directory permission to give full access to
    everyone, then checked "Allow inheritable permissions from parent to
    propagate to this object" on the database file. However, the "compact
    and repair" operation clears the check, making the file permissions
    default back to the windows default (I'm using Access 2000 on win
    2000) and not the permissions of the directory the file is in. So
    what am I doing wrong? Is it because I gave full access to everyone
    on that folder? Can I set an "internet directory default" in windows
    control panel somewhere?

    Thanks,
    Mike

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    I have never seen a newly created file not default to inheriting permissions
    from its parent. And I've never heard of any way to have a file not do
    that. But I'm no OS expert! :] What operating system?

    Ray at work

    "Mike" <com> wrote in message

    Ray Guest

  6. #6

    Well here are some articles about NTFS permissions from the Microsoft
    knowledge base at http://support.microsoft.com.

    153094 Restoring Default Permissions to Windows NT System Files (NTFS)
    237399 The Default NTFS Permissions Are Not Applied to a Converted Boot
    Partition

    Also check out that articles in this link. (I set the limit to 150
    articles as a warning for dial-up users.) (Watch for wrap it ends with
    "&InCC=on" without the quotes of course.)

    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26C DID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&withinResults=&QuerySource=g ASr_Query&Product=win2000&Queryc=Permission+NTFS&Q uery=Permission+NTFS&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=15 0&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on

    Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP] wrote:

    >[/ref]

    joker Guest

  7. #7

    I also forgot to mention that inherited deny permission take precedence
    over allow permissions.

    joker wrote:

    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]