Professional Web Applications Themes

A particularly interesting problem... - Macromedia Director 3D

I have an object which is like a lam in that it has a lamp-shade around a stick. It is all one model, not created in lingo but imported as W3D from lightwave. It all has one UV map, the stick and the shade and it is one shader. When the texture has no alpha channel before I import it all goes well (except it doesn't have the alpha channel!) however when the textures has an alpha channel the stick shows through it in places, rather like (and possibly being) the z-buffer issue when surfaces are very close to each ...

  1. #1

    Default A particularly interesting problem...

    I have an object which is like a lam in that it has a lamp-shade around a stick. It is all one model, not created in lingo but imported as W3D from lightwave. It all has one UV map, the stick and the shade and it is one shader. When the texture has no alpha channel before I import it all goes well (except it doesn't have the alpha channel!) however when the textures has an alpha channel the stick shows through it in places, rather like (and possibly being) the z-buffer issue when surfaces are very close to each otehr, however I don't understand why this only happens whent he texture has an alpha channel. Surely someone else has noticed this, if not please try it, I have tried changing hither and yon values on the camera to something smal but it has no effect, so I am reluctant to say it is due to inaccuracies in the z-buffer. Can anyone help with this puzzle?

    Will Hogben webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A particularly interesting problem...

    Try making every texture you use 32 bit whether it actually needs an alpha channel or not. I had this problem It seems to get confused on some chipsets and starts confusing the color channel of one layer with the alpha channel of another.

    Hope that might help

    Rix

    Rix webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Rix,

    To solve this problem, did you try to force the texture render format of all
    textures to 32 bit (#RGBA8888) whatever their depth, or did you re-created
    all the textures in 32 bit before exporting to Shockave 3D ?

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  4. #4

    The latter. However you end up creating your texturelayers either via lightwave or director make sure every texture has an alpha channel. So your current 24bit textures should be recreated as a 32bit texture eg a .TIFF with the alpha channel pure white. Its a waste of texture space, but it fixed the problem for me. Hope that helps

  5. #5

    If you arent using multilayered textures try scaling the camera up. This adjusts the view fustrum and will fix any zBuffer issues.

    sprite(1).camera.scale(25,25,25)