Professional Web Applications Themes

a question about the pkg_add and "make install clean" - FreeBSD

I had install the freebsd5.3 with custom setup and only install the source code and base, not install xorg and perl. Then I use cvsup to upgrade stable source code and current ports. After doing these, I want to install the kde3 and gnome2. But I found when I use the pkg_add command, freebsd will go to the directory under "5.3-release", it is older than the installation using "make install clean" command. For example, when I use pkg_add xorg, it will install 6.7 version. When I use "make install clean", it will install 6.8.2 version. How can I make them ...

  1. #1

    Default a question about the pkg_add and "make install clean"

    I had install the freebsd5.3 with custom setup and only install
    the source code and base, not install xorg and perl. Then I use cvsup
    to upgrade stable source code and current ports. After doing these, I
    want to install the kde3 and gnome2. But I found when I use the
    pkg_add command, freebsd will go to the directory under "5.3-release",
    it is older than the installation using "make install clean" command.
    For example, when I use pkg_add xorg, it will install 6.7 version.
    When I use "make install clean", it will install 6.8.2 version. How
    can I make them to install same versions? Another question is, when I
    install the xorg-clients, it give me a error message that "libc.so.6"
    not found, and many reference to *GL.so not found, how can I fix it? I
    had get the latest X11R7-src{1,2,3}.tar.bz2.

    [1]Find files on your PC instantly with the new MSN Toolbar Suite beta
    FREE!

    References

    1. http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2734??PS=47575
    well Guest

  2. #2

    On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:12:10 +0000, well sun <com> wrote:

    My guess would be that you did not build/install world/kernel. So the
    package system still defaults to your 5.3 release branch. The
    sources/ports you updated must be for the development brach
    FreeBSD-5.X, also known as FreeBSD 5-STABLE "RELENG 5"

    Check your CVSUP configuration (supfile).
    if default tag=RELENG_5 then you are tracking 5.4 STABLE and you need
    to buildworld/kernel and install (check the handbook).

    If you don't whant to buildworld/kernel then change "tag=RELENG_5" to
    "tag=RELENG_5_3", cvsup again and your sources/ports well be the same
    as PACKAGES (the older ones)

    --
    Kind regards
    Abu Khaled

  3. #3

    Abu Khaled wrote:

    > My guess would be that you did not build/install world/kernel. So the
    > package system still defaults to your 5.3 release branch. The
    > sources/ports you updated must be for the development brach
    > FreeBSD-5.X, also known as FreeBSD 5-STABLE "RELENG 5"
    >
    > Check your CVSUP configuration (supfile).
    > if default tag=RELENG_5 then you are tracking 5.4 STABLE and you need
    > to buildworld/kernel and install (check the handbook).
    >
    > If you don't whant to buildworld/kernel then change "tag=RELENG_5" to
    > "tag=RELENG_5_3", cvsup again and your sources/ports well be the same
    > as PACKAGES (the older ones)
    >[/ref]

    This is flat out wrong. The cvsup of the src tree and the ports tree are
    seperate. You would use 2 seperate cvs files.

    Now, you "could" combine them I suppose (I dont know out right - I have
    not done this. If you cvsup the ports tree (and it sounds like you may
    have, by doing so, you have pulled in a "newer" tree of the ports. Thus,
    a make install would get you the newest installs (pending on when you
    cvsuped the ports tree) of those programs.

    Using pkg_add is simply going out to the FBSD site and installing the
    binary (pre compiled) versions that were released when the OS was released.

    The proper tag for getting the latest ports tree under 5.3-RELEASE would
    be this in the ports-supfile:

    *default release=cvs tag=.

    Remeber, as long as you keep your ports tree up to date, the packages
    will always be outdated.

    You can find all this out by simply reading the handbook online.

    Please try to know what your talking about before confusing a newbie.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    Virtue is its own punishment.
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 20:38:56 -0600, Chris <com> wrote:

    > > My guess would be that you did not build/install world/kernel. So the
    > > package system still defaults to your 5.3 release branch. The
    > > sources/ports you updated must be for the development brach
    > > FreeBSD-5.X, also known as FreeBSD 5-STABLE "RELENG 5"
    > >
    > > Check your CVSUP configuration (supfile).
    > > if default tag=RELENG_5 then you are tracking 5.4 STABLE and you need
    > > to buildworld/kernel and install (check the handbook).
    > >
    > > If you don't whant to buildworld/kernel then change "tag=RELENG_5" to
    > > "tag=RELENG_5_3", cvsup again and your sources/ports well be the same
    > > as PACKAGES (the older ones)
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > This is flat out wrong. The cvsup of the src tree and the ports tree are
    > seperate. You would use 2 seperate cvs files.
    >
    > Now, you "could" combine them I suppose (I dont know out right - I have
    > not done this. If you cvsup the ports tree (and it sounds like you may
    > have, by doing so, you have pulled in a "newer" tree of the ports. Thus,
    > a make install would get you the newest installs (pending on when you
    > cvsuped the ports tree) of those programs.
    >
    > Using pkg_add is simply going out to the FBSD site and installing the
    > binary (pre compiled) versions that were released when the OS was released.
    >
    > The proper tag for getting the latest ports tree under 5.3-RELEASE would
    > be this in the ports-supfile:
    >
    > *default release=cvs tag=.
    >
    > Remeber, as long as you keep your ports tree up to date, the packages
    > will always be outdated.
    >
    > You can find all this out by simply reading the handbook online.
    >
    > Please try to know what your talking about before confusing a newbie.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Chris
    >
    > Virtue is its own punishment.
    >[/ref]

    You are right I also noticed that the second part of my reply was
    wrong just after I clicked SEND :(

    --
    Kind regards
    Abu Khaled

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    well Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Abu Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    you need to set PACKAGESITE environment variable

    example for i386 and 5.X STABLE
    # setenv PACKAGESITE
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/ALL/

    PS: don't forget the trailing "/" like i did

    If it fails I use this one
    # setenv PACKAGESITE
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/Latest/

    PS: don't forget the trailing "/" like i did

    Oh man i better double check my replies !!!

    --
    Kind regards
    Abu Khaled

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Kent Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    On Monday 28 March 2005 05:12 pm, well sun wrote:

    Well, yeah. But you're really conflating two different things.

    Packages are built from the ports tree at a certain point in time, the
    packages for 5.3-RELEASE were built when 5.3 was released. The packages for
    5-STABLE are built every so often (Not sure of when or how often). Packages
    are nice because they take minimal time to install, since they basically need
    to just be unpacked, but the tradeoff is out of date software. Packages have
    nothing to do with cvsuping the ports tree.

    Ports on the other hand are built from source, and the ports tree is updated
    all the time and that's what you get when you cvsup the ports, but you get
    the most up to date software. The downside is you have to compile the
    software that you want to upgrade or install, which takes a while.

    Right. because the package was built when 5.3 was released and xorg 6.7 was
    the current version. When you do 'make install clean' xorg is built from the
    current source and therefore gets the newer version.

    You can't. They're two different things (package vs, port)

    If you installed xorg-clients from a package you might be installing an older
    package on a newer OS. build x11/xorg from ports (cd x11/xorg; make && make
    insstall && make clean) and it should, generally, Just Work(tm).

    See the Packages and Ports chapter in the handbook for more:
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
    Matt Guest

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator