Professional Web Applications Themes

A Question for the Professional Photogs out There... - Photography

Hi Guys (and girls, of course :), I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few questions of those pro gurus out there. I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a professional photographer, as I am a keen hobbyist since I bought a digital and could finally afford photography, although my career path has never really been headed in that direction. I'm interested really in all kinds of photography, from product shots, to cars, to journalism, to sports and glamour. Well at the moment I am at a kind ...

  1. #1

    Default A Question for the Professional Photogs out There...

    Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),

    I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    questions of those pro gurus out there.

    I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a
    professional photographer, as I am a keen hobbyist since I bought a
    digital and could finally afford photography, although my career path
    has never really been headed in that direction. I'm interested really
    in all kinds of photography, from product shots, to cars, to
    journalism, to sports and glamour. Well at the moment I am at a kind
    of turning point in my life, and have decided that this might finally
    be the time to start trying to put my dreams into action.

    I was just wondering if any of the people from this newsgroup who work
    as professional photographers could tell me a little bit about their
    job.

    What do you do? What's the thing that you like most about your job?

    What's the thing you hate most about it?

    What's involved in a typical day?

    What else do you think I should know before I invest my time and
    effort into this?

    Also, what would your advice be to a person who has little
    professional experience on how to actually go about getting a job in
    this area? I don't really have the equipment or cash necessary to go
    freelance by myself, so I guess I would have to become an assistant or
    a trainee. Should I go out and do a course in this area? Work
    experience??

    Is there a good place that you know of that I could find out a bit
    more about this? Sites, forums, etc?

    Feel free to send me replies via email if you don't want to post to
    the entire group, although I do think that this would be an
    interesting topic for everyone to read.

    Thanks in advance everyone. aus.photo is a great little community,

    Andrew
    --
    Andrew

    PS. Please remove SPAMKILL from email address to reply.
    emajorSPAMKILL@optushome.com.au Guest

  2. #2

    <emajorSPAMKILLoptushome.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),
    >
    > I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    > questions of those pro gurus out there.
    It's called work experience. I would strongly suggest a formal course such
    as TAFE or University.

    Miro Guest

  3. #3

    > What do you do?

    Bugger all these days, I retired from freelance commercial about 5 years ago
    at the ripe old age of 35... now I just pick and choose what I want to do,
    mostly pictorial and event photography :-)
    > What's the thing that you like most about your job?
    It has given me the freedom to do what I want, when I want.... even when I
    was commercial there was no 9 to 5.

    > What's the thing you hate most about it?
    Nothing these days.... but it used to be doing weddings, I hated weddings!
    Bride's mothers are usually a PITA!

    > What's involved in a typical day?
    As I said earlier, bugger all now.... but as commercial it was a lot of
    client liaison, a lot of driving around to locations & labs, carrying a lot
    of heavy gear and doing a lot of different things.... one day you are
    hanging out of a chopper, the next day your 200 feet underground taking pix
    of mining equipment.

    > What else do you think I should know before I invest my time and
    > effort into this?
    Take a good long look at your work and ask yourself "will I be good enough?"
    .....that sounds a bit rough I know, but there are plenty of crappy
    photographers calling themselves professionals (maybe I am one of them??)
    and unless you can turn out good images day in day out you will struggle.

    Enjoying photography and producing professional work are miles apart. So you
    will need to explore your own ability and the best way to do this is to work
    with someone who is a pro (but not one of those crappy ones that I
    mentioned)... OR get some qualifications, I would highly recommend the
    Diploma in Photography from Griffith University in Brisbane (formerly Qld
    College of Art). I did this back in 81/82 (wow! that's way back in last
    century... geez I feel old!) and you soon learn if you have "the goods" or
    not.

    > Also, what would your advice be to a person who has little
    > professional experience on how to actually go about getting a job in
    > this area?
    Put together a folio of your VERY best work, have a shave, put on some good
    clobber and visit every photographer in the area. Be polite, don't be pushy,
    be happy and walk away with a smile and a thank you when they are not
    interested. Also, get a set of calling cards and hand one over as soon as
    you introduce yourself... don't leave it on your way out after a refusal as
    that falls into the "pushy" category.

    Offer to work as an assistant for free on weekends for a month.... if you
    are any good, they will be calling you and eventually offering to pay.... if
    they don't, move on, don't get "used".
    > I don't really have the equipment or cash necessary to go
    > freelance by myself,
    Good! You are not a pro... yet! :-)

    The AIPP was trying to stop photographers from doing just that, as the
    standard of pro photography has dropped dramatically in Aust, they wanted to
    make it so that you needed either qualifications or accreditation from one
    of the pro groups before you could trade as a pro.

    I actually agree with this concept.
    > so I guess I would have to become an assistant or
    > a trainee.
    yes, see above.
    > Should I go out and do a course in this area? Work
    > experience??
    yes, see above.

    I hope this helps,

    Russell Stewart
    Australian Digital Photo Of The Day
    [url]http://www.pixelpix.com.au/adpotd.html[/url]

    AU Digital Photo Of The Day Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks a lot Russell, your comments were extremely helpful!

    Andrew

  5. #5

    :-) LOL :-)

    good one Mic

    Henrik

    "M i c C u l l e n" <nospamcross.com.au> wrote in message
    > "AU Digital Photo Of The Day" <adpotdpixelpix.com.au>, far, far away
    > from here, appears to have written:
    >
    > [snips]
    >
    > > > What's the thing you hate most about it?
    > >
    > > Nothing these days.... but it used to be doing weddings, I hated
    weddings!
    > > Bride's mothers are usually a PITA!
    >
    > Trust me, that continues well AFTER the wedding for the involved parties
    > :-)
    > --
    >
    > cheers, Mic (Reply address works...)
    >
    > I check my bumper, but I still can't figure out how it attracts
    tailgaters.

    Henrik Guest

  6. #6

    [email]emajorSPAMKILLoptushome.com.au[/email] wrote:
    > Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),
    >
    > I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    > questions of those pro gurus out there.
    >
    > I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a
    > professional photographer,

    Advice DQYDJ !!!!!

    ops Guest

  7. #7

    "ops" <martinwollongong.apana.org.au> wrote in message

    > [email]emajorSPAMKILLoptushome.com.au[/email] wrote:
    > > Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),
    > >
    > > I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    > > questions of those pro gurus out there.
    > >
    > > I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a
    > > professional photographer,
    >

    > Advice DQYDJ !!!!!
    Don't Quote Your Dirty Jokes?
    Dudley's Quilt Yells Daily "Jehovah"?
    Daringly Quick Yowie Drives Jeep?

    max morrison Guest

  8. #8

    "max morrison" <someonenospam.net.au> wrote in message

    > "ops" <martinwollongong.apana.org.au> wrote in message
    > >

    > > [email]emajorSPAMKILLoptushome.com.au[/email] wrote:
    > > > Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),
    > > >
    > > > I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    > > > questions of those pro gurus out there.
    > > >
    > > > I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a
    > > > professional photographer,
    > >

    > > Advice DQYDJ !!!!!
    >
    > Don't Quote Your Dirty Jokes?
    > Dudley's Quilt Yells Daily "Jehovah"?
    > Daringly Quick Yowie Drives Jeep?

    Dont Quit Your Day Job.

    I make more money buying and selling second hand camera equipment then I
    will ever make with photography!!

    David in Perth Guest

  9. #9

    I would LOVE to hear the answers to these questions....I am also at the
    cross roads of a career change
    Kris

    <emajorSPAMKILLoptushome.com.au> wrote in message
    > Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),
    >
    > I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    > questions of those pro gurus out there.
    >
    > I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a
    > professional photographer, as I am a keen hobbyist since I bought a
    > digital and could finally afford photography, although my career path
    > has never really been headed in that direction. I'm interested really
    > in all kinds of photography, from product shots, to cars, to
    > journalism, to sports and glamour. Well at the moment I am at a kind
    > of turning point in my life, and have decided that this might finally
    > be the time to start trying to put my dreams into action.
    >
    > I was just wondering if any of the people from this newsgroup who work
    > as professional photographers could tell me a little bit about their
    > job.
    >
    > What do you do? What's the thing that you like most about your job?
    >
    > What's the thing you hate most about it?
    >
    > What's involved in a typical day?
    >
    > What else do you think I should know before I invest my time and
    > effort into this?
    >
    > Also, what would your advice be to a person who has little
    > professional experience on how to actually go about getting a job in
    > this area? I don't really have the equipment or cash necessary to go
    > freelance by myself, so I guess I would have to become an assistant or
    > a trainee. Should I go out and do a course in this area? Work
    > experience??
    >
    > Is there a good place that you know of that I could find out a bit
    > more about this? Sites, forums, etc?
    >
    > Feel free to send me replies via email if you don't want to post to
    > the entire group, although I do think that this would be an
    > interesting topic for everyone to read.
    >
    > Thanks in advance everyone. aus.photo is a great little community,
    >
    > Andrew
    > --
    > Andrew
    >
    > PS. Please remove SPAMKILL from email address to reply.

    Neil R. Guest

  10. #10

    All kidding aside, life as a 'professional's is just like any other
    business. don't become a 'photographer', but become a business person. Your
    success, or not, is directly proportion to your ability to run business. The
    taking of photographs is secondary and although important, is only a side
    feature of the trade.

    Going to school is an advantage to learn the business side of things (not
    that necessary for the pushing of a button) but to gain contacts, ideas and
    knowledge needed to make business successful.

    My suggestion....! find a local photographer, ask to assist on a non pay
    basis, go to business classes, find out what you wish to really photograph
    and concentrate on that field, say weddings, this is a good place to start.

    Stay positive, it helps if your partner can provide support to remain
    positive. always aim to move upwards.

    Good luck

    Trevor C
    Townsville.

    "Neil R." <theramsaysbigpond.com> wrote in message
    > I would LOVE to hear the answers to these questions....I am also at the
    > cross roads of a career change
    > Kris
    >
    > <emajorSPAMKILLoptushome.com.au> wrote in message
    > > Hi Guys (and girls, of course :),
    > >
    > > I thought that this would be a good place for me to ask a few
    > > questions of those pro gurus out there.
    > >
    > > I have always sort of thought that I would like to become a
    > > professional photographer, as I am a keen hobbyist since I bought a
    > > digital and could finally afford photography, although my career path
    > > has never really been headed in that direction. I'm interested really
    > > in all kinds of photography, from product shots, to cars, to
    > > journalism, to sports and glamour. Well at the moment I am at a kind
    > > of turning point in my life, and have decided that this might finally
    > > be the time to start trying to put my dreams into action.
    > >
    > > I was just wondering if any of the people from this newsgroup who work
    > > as professional photographers could tell me a little bit about their
    > > job.
    > >
    > > What do you do? What's the thing that you like most about your job?
    > >
    > > What's the thing you hate most about it?
    > >
    > > What's involved in a typical day?
    > >
    > > What else do you think I should know before I invest my time and
    > > effort into this?
    > >
    > > Also, what would your advice be to a person who has little
    > > professional experience on how to actually go about getting a job in
    > > this area? I don't really have the equipment or cash necessary to go
    > > freelance by myself, so I guess I would have to become an assistant or
    > > a trainee. Should I go out and do a course in this area? Work
    > > experience??
    > >
    > > Is there a good place that you know of that I could find out a bit
    > > more about this? Sites, forums, etc?
    > >
    > > Feel free to send me replies via email if you don't want to post to
    > > the entire group, although I do think that this would be an
    > > interesting topic for everyone to read.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance everyone. aus.photo is a great little community,
    > >
    > > Andrew
    > > --
    > > Andrew
    > >
    > > PS. Please remove SPAMKILL from email address to reply.

    Pure Emotion Guest