Professional Web Applications Themes

A question on fast shutter speeds - Photography

If I use a faster shutter speed does this mean that the camera mirror jumps out of the way faster or does the mirror move at the same speed for all shutter speeds? Regards Brian...

  1. #1

    Default A question on fast shutter speeds

    If I use a faster shutter speed does this mean that the camera mirror
    jumps out of the way faster or does the mirror move at the same speed
    for all shutter speeds?

    Regards Brian

    Brian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A question on fast shutter speeds

    I am guessing here and from having scanned Gooooooogle with no answers, I
    would say just 2 speeds. Those being working at a single speed for all
    options or stopped (locked up).

    swash

    "Brian" <co.nz> wrote in message

    SwashBuckle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Brian <co.nz> wrote:

    The mirror swings up at the same speed reagrdless (unless MLU is used of
    course). Perhaps surprisingly, the shutter curtains also move at the
    same speed across the focal plane, regardless of the shutter speed.
    What determines the shutter speed is how quickly the second curtain is
    fired after the first.

    For example at the X-Sync speed for your camera, the second curtain is
    not fired until the first curtain has traveled all the way to the end
    (ie. the film frame is fully open to the incoming light). Faster
    shutter speeds cause the second curtain to start its travel
    progressively closer to when the first curtain started. This creates a
    slit whose width is inversely proportional to the shutter speed (the
    faster the shutter speed, the narrower the curtain).

    --
    Rudy Garcia

    Rudy Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 23:54:08 +1200, Brian <co.nz> wrote:

    Each camera has a set speed at which the mirror move upward. So
    whatever shutter speed you select, the mirror moves up at the same
    speed.

    The shutter curtains also move at the same speed regardless of which
    shutter speed you use. Shutter speed is determined by the width of the
    slit between the first and second curtain.. The faster the shutter
    speed, the narrower the slit and wider at slower speeds..

    Colyn Goodson

    Ft. Worth, Texas

    http://home.swbell.net/colyng

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    625 and 675 mercury battery fix

    http://www.colyngoodson.com/minolta.htm
    http://www.colyngoodson.com/cameras.htm

    Camera manuals

    http://www.colyngoodson.com/manuals.htm

    For Sale

    http://www.colyngoodson.com/sale.htm
    Colyn Guest

  5. #5

    Brian <co.nz> wrote in message news:<com>...

    No, the mirror moves up at the same speed.
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    Maybe a different question: When uing a camera like the F5 at 8 frames per
    second, does the mirror actually go up and down 8 times a second?
    "Brian" <co.nz> wrote in message

    Wes Guest

  7. #7

    Brian writes:

    The mirror always moves at the same speed on a given camera. The
    shutter will not open until the mirror is completely out of the way.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  8. #8

    Wes J writes:

    Yes, indeed, it does. The F5 mirror is amazingly fast. If it didn't
    move for each and every exposure, you wouldn't be able to see what you
    were shooting at 8 fps.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  9. #9

    also a Rangefinder does not have this .
    "Wes J" <net> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Bot-tastic Guest

  10. #10

    Jim Waggener writes:

    It has very little mirror vibration as well. You hear it more than you
    feel it, and it doesn't make much noise.

    Mxsmanic Guest