Professional Web Applications Themes

A replacement for about-to-be-closed NGs - ASP Components

Greets, To those of us who, for whatever reason, are still using "unsupported" technologies, these news groups are a valuable resource. The quasi-related forums to which Microsoft has invited us are hardly replacements, posts about 'classic' technologies will be OT, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who posts questions about them would rather see responses more meaningful than, "consider upgrading to [something that is still supported]." In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures, I've added a section to a forum I created a couple of years ago, www.deprecatethis.com. I created it after reading ...

  1. #1

    Default A replacement for about-to-be-closed NGs

    Greets,

    To those of us who, for whatever reason, are still using "unsupported"
    technologies, these news groups are a valuable resource. The quasi-related
    forums to which Microsoft has invited us are hardly replacements, posts
    about
    'classic' technologies will be OT, and I'm sure pretty much everyone who
    posts questions about them would rather see responses more meaningful than,
    "consider upgrading to [something that is still supported]."

    In hopes of filling the void that will be left by these pending closures,
    I've added a section to a forum I created a couple of years ago,
    www.deprecatethis.com. I created it after reading that the Windows API was
    to be
    deprecated. I think the sentiment applies here as well, so I'm offering it
    as a
    replacement -- of course it isn't a news group, but at least the questions
    we used to post in these newsgroups will be on-topic. Another plus is that
    the site admin (that would be me) will be highly receptive to suggestions,
    making this a chance to shape a new community.

    To be honest at this moment www.deprecatethis.com isn't much of a forum --
    the software
    (Yet Another Forum) is decent, but it isn't quite a hot-bed of discussion.
    About
    the only thing that has attracted any attention is a script I wrote to work
    around the Send To->Mail Recipient problem in x64 with Office/Outlook
    installed. That script is the only thing anyone (besides myself) has posted
    about.

    But maybe all that will change, I've created forums for classic ADO, classic
    ASP and VB6; any suggestions/requests for additional
    forums are welcome. (Reasonable suggestions will be implemented promptly.)

    I understand the preference for NNTP over web-based forums, but
    unfortunately I lack the means to host an NNTP server, this is all I have to
    offer, so... Please consider yourself invited to join.

    -Mark McGinty

    btw, if sending this post makes me a spammer, I apologize for the offense.
    Ordinarily I wouldn't have done this but these NGs are going away soon, a
    window is closing, so I figured what do I have to lose?

    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A replacement for about-to-be-closed NGs

    "Mark McGinty" <com> wrote:

    FORUMS ARE NOT GOING AWAY ! ! ! !

    For those folks who are seeing these newsgroups via a Web page, let me inform
    you that there's a HUGE world out there called Usenet, and it's on Usenet
    where all this traffic takes place. Microsoft is only taking Usenet and
    putting it on a web page. These support forums exist completely outside of
    Microsoft. These unmoderated newsgroups are NOT going away as long as there
    are servers out there that pass content to them. Just because the Microsoft
    name is on them does NOT mean that they belong to Microsoft. They don't.

    One (free) news server (source of the forums) you might be interested in using
    is called Eternal September. They can provide you with Usenet feeds.

    Just use a client program such as Outlook Express (Express version only) or
    Mozilla Thunderbird:
    http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

    David Guest

  3. #3

    David Kaye wrote:

    > FORUMS ARE NOT GOING AWAY ! ! ! !
    >
    > For those folks who are seeing these newsgroups via a Web page, let me inform
    > you that there's a HUGE world out there called Usenet, and it's on Usenet
    > where all this traffic takes place. Microsoft is only taking Usenet and
    > putting it on a web page. These support forums exist completely outside of
    > Microsoft. These unmoderated newsgroups are NOT going away as long as there
    > are servers out there that pass content to them. Just because the Microsoft
    > name is on them does NOT mean that they belong to Microsoft. They don't.[/ref]

    Nice rant. Full of "it", of course, but well placed rage I must say.

    Why don't you check that server, to see how many of the groups
    Microsoft has already "closed" (last December) are still there? Here's
    a list, in case you're unfamiliar with that event:

    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.msnewservers/browse_frm/thread/3b8d33430c3071f0/01767bbaedeb096d

    I can offer you more, if you'd like?

    --
    ..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
    Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

    Karl Guest

  4. #4

    So why can we still post to these "closed" newsgroups?

    Karl E. Peterson wrote:

    >> FORUMS ARE NOT GOING AWAY ! ! ! !
    >>
    >> For those folks who are seeing these newsgroups via a Web page, let
    >> me inform you that there's a HUGE world out there called Usenet, and
    >> it's on Usenet where all this traffic takes place. Microsoft is
    >> only taking Usenet and putting it on a web page. These support
    >> forums exist completely outside of Microsoft. These unmoderated
    >> newsgroups are NOT going away as long as there are servers out there
    >> that pass content to them. Just because the Microsoft name is on
    >> them does NOT mean that they belong to Microsoft. They don't.[/ref]
    >
    > Nice rant. Full of "it", of course, but well placed rage I must say.

    > Why don't you check that server, to see how many of the groups
    > Microsoft has already "closed" (last December) are still there?
    > Here's a list, in case you're unfamiliar with that event:
    >
    >[/ref]
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.msnewservers/browse_frm/thread/3b8d33430c3071f0/01767bbaedeb096d

    --
    HTH,
    Bob Barrows

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Bob Barrows wrote:

    msnews is still up and running. Do this...

    C:\>telnet msnews.microsoft.com 119{enter}
    200 NNTP Service 6.0.3790.3959 Version: 6.0.3790.3959 Posting Allowed
    list newsgroups{enter}
    quit
    C:\>

    And, even after msnews actually removes the groups from their servers,
    it may take awhile for that to propogate out.

    I have heard, though, since posting my initial response, that the
    admins on eternal-september.org may reject the rmgroup requests from
    that Jules yahoo. This would be a pleasant change from the past! :-)

  6. #6

    "Karl E. Peterson" <org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    The following is based on information I've read in
    a german admin-group, which we are following now
    for some time...:

    The "hoster" (founder, admin, ...) of eternal-september.org
    is known in usenet as "Ray Banana". An appropriate discussion
    with regards to "honouring rmgroup-messages" - already took
    place in the public reachable group:
    eternal-september.support

    Here's the snippet in question:

    # From: Ray Banana <shacknet.nu>
    # Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 04:57:13 +0200
    # [...]
    # Thus spake grant <invalid>
    # [...]
    # > When Julièn Élie issues rmgroup control articles, will
    # > eternal-september honour them?
    #
    # Given the current settings of E-S's control.ctl, no.

    That's not a *very* explicit statement (with regards to
    "how long"), but given all the other hosters (at least in
    "german usenet") who later on agreed and stated explicitely, to:
    "*not* take immediate action"
    regarding Julièn Élies rmgroup-messages, I'd say that this
    statement has to be seen/read "in the same spirit" - meaning:
    the micorosoft.public.* hierarchie will remain available
    for at least some months more on an already
    (in the meantime) larger amount of UseNet-Servers.

    One needs to switch his NewsReader to one of them
    of course, to win at least some more months, until a new
    "long-term-home" for the group in question was found(ed).

    Olaf

    Schmidt Guest

  7. #7

    Schmidt wrote:

    > The following is based on information I've read in
    > a german admin-group, which we are following now
    > for some time...:
    >
    > The "hoster" (founder, admin, ...) of eternal-september.org
    > is known in usenet as "Ray Banana". An appropriate discussion
    > with regards to "honouring rmgroup-messages" - already took
    > place in the public reachable group:
    > eternal-september.support
    >
    > Here's the snippet in question:

    > # From: Ray Banana <shacknet.nu>
    > # Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 04:57:13 +0200
    > # [...]
    > # Thus spake grant <invalid>
    > # [...]
    > # > When Julièn Élie issues rmgroup control articles, will
    > # > eternal-september honour them?
    > #
    > # Given the current settings of E-S's control.ctl, no.
    >
    > That's not a *very* explicit statement (with regards to
    > "how long"), but given all the other hosters (at least in
    > "german usenet") who later on agreed and stated explicitely, to:
    > "*not* take immediate action"
    > regarding Julièn Élies rmgroup-messages, I'd say that this
    > statement has to be seen/read "in the same spirit" - meaning:
    > the micorosoft.public.* hierarchie will remain available
    > for at least some months more on an already
    > (in the meantime) larger amount of UseNet-Servers.[/ref]

    Very encouraging news! :-)

    It is also very encouraging to see traffic *way* up in
    comp.lang.basic.visual.misc over the weekend! :-)

  8. #8