Professional Web Applications Themes

A Riddle - FreeBSD

Q: Why are FreeBSD users like Liberals? A: They panic and start to call you names when you tell them the truth. -----Original Message----- From: Subhro <com> To: com; org Sent: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:37:12 +0530 Subject: RE: AMD64 much slower than i386 on FreeBSD 5.4-pre   like  <snip> OH NO!!! ANOTHER AOLer. One more entry added to my kill list. THIS IS MY EARNEST REQUEST TO ALL THE LIST MEMBERS. BANDWIDTH IS VERY COSTLY HERE SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT WASTE BANDWIDTH AND TIME BY FEEDING TROLLS. Best Regards S. Indian Institute of Information Technology Subhro Sankha ...

  1. #1

    Default A Riddle

    Q: Why are FreeBSD users like Liberals?

    A: They panic and start to call you names when you tell them the truth.

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Subhro <com>
    To: com; org
    Sent: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:37:12 +0530
    Subject: RE: AMD64 much slower than i386 on FreeBSD 5.4-pre

    like

    <snip>

    OH NO!!! ANOTHER AOLer.

    One more entry added to my kill list.

    THIS IS MY EARNEST REQUEST TO ALL THE LIST MEMBERS. BANDWIDTH IS VERY
    COSTLY
    HERE SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT WASTE BANDWIDTH AND TIME BY FEEDING
    TROLLS.

    Best Regards
    S.

    Indian Institute of Information Technology
    Subhro Sankha Kar
    Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
    Salt Lake City
    PIN 700091
    India

    em1897@aol.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: A Riddle

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 com wrote:

    Q: Why are AOL users like Religious Neo-Conservatives?

    A: They like to pay a high price for their service, despite lower cost
    alternatives, and will tell you, their way is the only way.

    Is it any wonder AOL CD's are like Gideon Bibles?

    Now, off, lamer.

    *plonk*

    --
    Duo

    Although the Buddhists will tell you that desire is the root of
    suffering, my personal experience leads me to point the finger at system
    administration.
    --Philip Greenspun

    Duo Guest

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Last I knew that was a technique most perfected by the right wing
    especially when they begin noticing that reality does not correspond
    to their need to support sagging egos.

    Sorry about clogging the bandwidth. Could resist taking a shot at
    a troll.

    ////jerry

    Jerry Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:05:42 -0500
    com wrote:

    Please don't associate yourself with the conservatives/non-liberals. We
    don't like trolls either!

    Jacob
    Jacob Guest

  6. #6

    There are 2 kinds of people in America, Jerry. The Rich
    and those who complain about the Rich. The difference
    here as opposed to some other countries is that which
    group you belong to is a personal choice. I respect your
    choice. You seem very happy in your ignorance of virtually
    every subject.

    You "taking a shot" at me is about as entertaining as
    it gets, Jerry. It really, really is.

  7. #7

    You have a sad life it seems.

    ////jerry

    > truth.
    >
    > Last I knew that was a technique most perfected by the right wing
    > especially when they begin noticing that reality does not correspond
    > to their need to support sagging egos.
    >
    > Sorry about clogging the bandwidth. Could resist taking a shot at
    > a troll.
    >
    > Jerry
    >[/ref]

    Jerry Guest

  8. #8

    I'm glad this has to deal with FreeBSD related question. Thank you for
    expanding the minds of those subscribed to this mailing list with your
    intricate question outlining in the most detail the problem you're
    having with your specific task.

    You're either a dumbass, or a 12 year old. I prefer to choose the
    latter and hope for the best in your growth and development.

    Many Thanks,

    Tomas

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:22:45 -0500, com <com> wrote:
    > truth.
    >
    > Last I knew that was a technique most perfected by the right wing
    > especially when they begin noticing that reality does not correspond
    > to their need to support sagging egos.
    >
    > Sorry about clogging the bandwidth. Could resist taking a shot at
    > a troll.
    >
    > Jerry

    -Tomas Quintero
    Tomas Guest

  9. #9

    Tomas Quintero wrote:

    >>truth.
    >>
    >>Last I knew that was a technique most perfected by the right wing
    >>especially when they begin noticing that reality does not correspond
    >>to their need to support sagging egos.
    >>
    >>Sorry about clogging the bandwidth. Could resist taking a shot at
    >>a troll.
    >>
    >>Jerry[/ref][/ref]

    Yanno - as odd as this seems, and as of late - this list seems to be
    resembling those Linux lists I used to be on some time ago.

    There seems to be lots of finger pointing, name calling, and in general
    - a total break down of common decency to our fellow user.

    Now I do understand that we'll get a troublesome user from time to time,
    but must we really sink to the depths of that user to prove a point?

    If we're to prove a point to those that name call, are rude, troll, and
    all the other recent events, we must do so on our level. Allow them to
    spew what ever it is they spew, and we must simply either ignore it (the
    correct way imho) Kill em with kindness, OR, reply in such a fashion
    that the user has no idea what we're saying.

    Let's stop the erosion of this list now before it goes too far.

    Over and out...

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune
    moment.
    Chris Guest

  10. #10

    On 25 Mar 2005, Chris wrote:

    I totally agree. This plus other things are the reasons why I
    chose to switch to another OS.

    Over and out too.
    --
    Xavier Maillard

    main(){printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],(unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}

    Xavier Guest

  11. #11

    Hmm, I wonder if the lack of performance, or the unwanted
    emails were more heaviliy weighted in the decision?

    If there was any intelligent life on the list you could
    counter what you call "Trolls" with solid techical
    arguments. This reminds me of the old bsdi
    list. A bunch of half-wits who are just happy
    to belong to something and have other half-wits
    to correspond with.

    FreeBSD used to have open discussions between
    users and developers and it used to be real
    good. Now it s and the developers are
    detached, off in their own little world. See
    a pattern?

    But with a user base from places like gnu-rox.org
    and makeworld.com, what do you expect I
    guess?

  12. #12

    com wrote:

    > I totally agree. This plus other things are the reasons why I
    > chose to switch to another OS.[/ref]

    Users that Insult people that offer help (good or bad) says much about
    that user.

    The tactic at hand (at least with the user that top posts) is to do
    nothing more then what it is hoping to do - incite anger *Sigh*

    Oh well - most of us are certainly above that.

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    Nothing is ever done for the right reasons.
    Chris Guest

  13. #13

    --- Chris <com> wrote:
    > unwanted
    > decision?
    > could [/ref]
    > call, are rude, [/ref]
    > do so on our [/ref]
    > spew, and we [/ref]
    > imho) Kill em [/ref]
    > the user has no [/ref]
    > goes too far.
    > >

    > > I totally agree. This plus other things are the[/ref]
    > reasons why I
    >
    > Users that Insult people that offer help (good or
    > bad) says much about
    > that user.
    >
    > The tactic at hand (at least with the user that top
    > posts) is to do
    > nothing more then what it is hoping to do - incite
    > anger *Sigh*
    >
    > Oh well - most of us are certainly above that.[/ref]

    I don't agree. The spread of disinformation is
    like allowing a cancer to go untreated. There
    are a lot of people recommending a very poorly
    implemented OS because of the propaganda
    disseminated here. People's jobs and businesses
    are at stake. People waste a tremendous amount
    of time (me included) based on the ridiculously
    inaccurate comments made by people on this
    list.

    And like with alchoholism, the first step is
    admitting that you have a problem. If you're
    going to keep RA-RAing this "effort", then
    you are part of the problem. You can make
    a person "Angry" by calling him a loser. But
    if the shoe fits, it may very well need to
    be said to get him off his butt.

    As an aside, all of the major web mail providers
    default to "top posting". Google (ever hear
    of them?) only shows the top N lines of a post.
    So if you bottom post, you don't see the message
    you want to see
    without having to make an effort. So when are
    you troglodytes going to climb out of your
    1994 hibernations and get with the times?
    You may prefer one over the other, but its
    hardly a capital offense to do otherwise. Most
    of us have evolved out of our unix newsreaders.
    Anyone with a brain is using web mail for
    mailing lists these days: no more whining
    about spam or "wasted bandwidth".

    em1897@aol.com Guest

  14. #14

    com wrote:
    >> unwanted
    >> decision?
    >> could
    >> call, are rude,
    >> do so on our
    >> spew, and we
    >> imho) Kill em
    >> the user has no
    >> goes too far.
    >> reasons why I
    >>
    >> Users that Insult people that offer help (good or
    >> bad) says much about
    >> that user.
    >>
    >> The tactic at hand (at least with the user that top
    >> posts) is to do
    >> nothing more then what it is hoping to do - incite
    >> anger *Sigh*
    >>
    >> Oh well - most of us are certainly above that.[/ref]
    >

    > I don't agree. The spread of disinformation is
    > like allowing a cancer to go untreated. There
    > are a lot of people recommending a very poorly
    > implemented OS because of the propaganda
    > disseminated here. People's jobs and businesses
    > are at stake. People waste a tremendous amount
    > of time (me included) based on the ridiculously
    > inaccurate comments made by people on this
    > list.
    >
    > And like with alchoholism, the first step is
    > admitting that you have a problem. If you're
    > going to keep RA-RAing this "effort", then
    > you are part of the problem. You can make
    > a person "Angry" by calling him a loser. But
    > if the shoe fits, it may very well need to
    > be said to get him off his butt.
    >
    > As an aside, all of the major web mail providers
    > default to "top posting". Google (ever hear
    > of them?) only shows the top N lines of a post.
    > So if you bottom post, you don't see the message
    > you want to see
    > without having to make an effort. So when are
    > you troglodytes going to climb out of your
    > 1994 hibernations and get with the times?
    > You may prefer one over the other, but its
    > hardly a capital offense to do otherwise. Most
    > of us have evolved out of our unix newsreaders.
    > Anyone with a brain is using web mail for
    > mailing lists these days: no more whining
    > about spam or "wasted bandwidth".[/ref]

    We love you. Have a great day!

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    Program design philosophy:
    Start at the beginning and continue until the end,
    then stop.

    Chris Guest

  15. #15

    com wrote:

    > > unwanted
    > > decision?
    > > could [/ref][/ref]

    Please have a look at your own email address.

    They don't default to top posting, they put
    the cursor on top, so you can read the whole
    message and cut irrelevant parts before replying.

    If Google doesn't display the whole message,
    the interface is crap. That's not the fault of
    anybody on this list.

    If you want to be read by as many people
    as possible on this list, the easiest way is
    to write well formed mails.

    Unfortunately, you are not only top posting,
    your mailing software also inserts line breaks
    where there shouldn't be any and makes it
    hard to see who wrote what.

    Have a look at the beginning of this mail.
    Your quotation is a mess.

    Having a brain is good, but using it is even better.
    If the web interface produces garbage, changing
    the interface could be a smart move.

    Just my two brainless cents.

    Fabian
    --
    http://www.fabiankeil.de
    Fabian Guest

  16. #16

    WRONG on all counts!

    Firstly, anyone who uses their own server for lists is
    a complete idiot. Are you trying to insult everyone
    who has found AOL or Yahoo or Gmail to be more
    convenient for not clogging their server with lists
    traffic? Or do you just feel important because you
    laid out the $20 for your own domain?

    And YES, they do default to top posting. You hit
    reply, and you get this (see below). Its not really
    conducive to bottom posting, and when you do
    a google search and hit a long thread you read the
    answer you want first, rather than having to page
    down 200 times. If you're over 50 and once
    used a pdp11 then you may argue the opposite,
    but times are a-changing, so get with it.

  17. #17

    com wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Please have a look at your own email address.

    > They don't default to top posting, they put
    > the cursor on top, so you can read the whole
    > message and cut irrelevant parts before replying.
    >
    > If Google doesn't display the whole message,
    > the interface is crap. That's not the fault of
    > anybody on this list.

    > If you want to be read by as many people
    > as possible on this list, the easiest way is
    > to write well formed mails.
    >
    > Unfortunately, you are not only top posting,
    > your mailing software also inserts line breaks
    > where there shouldn't be any and makes it
    > hard to see who wrote what.
    >
    > Have a look at the beginning of this mail.
    > Your quotation is a mess.

    > Having a brain is good, but using it is even better.
    > If the web interface produces garbage, changing
    > the interface could be a smart move.
    >
    > Just my two brainless cents.
    >
    > Fabian
    > --
    > http://www.fabiankeil.de
    >[/ref]

    *** Formatted correctly for ease of reading ***

    com wrote:

    So - according to YOU, most all of us that run our own servers are
    idiots. Yanno what? You sound like the type that is forced to use his
    parents PC, Forced to use AOL, and forced to use web mail.

    So - since YOU can't have what most of us can and do have, you feel the
    need to lash out and verbally abuse.

    This is a classic case of the have-nots are beside them selfs over the
    haves.

    It's one thing to say something like:

    It's my opinion that (insert rhetoric here)

    Then to make a sweeping generalization as you just did. Shows us what
    kind a man (or boy) you are.

    Grow up - show some respect, don't insult - you will live longer when
    you do join society.

    And, as I said before - even tho you may bash us, think you are superior
    to us - we still love you anyways.

    Oh, and have a great day!

    --
    Best regards,
    Chris

    If on an actuarial basis there is a 50 50 chance that
    something will go wrong,
    It will actually go wrong nine times out of ten.
    Chris Guest

  18. #18

    Apparently you can't read. I didn't say you were an
    idiot for running your own server. Only that you
    were an idiot to use your server to download
    tons of crap from lists that you don't want to
    read when for free you can have it stored elsewhere.

    I have a server, and a domain (several) and lots of
    other cool stuff. I got tired of wasting cpu cycles
    and disk space, considering that maybe 1 out of 20
    messages actually interests me. You guys always
    complain about wasted bandwidth. Well if you use
    yahoo or gmail or aol then you don't waste any bandwidth
    of your own. You just read what you want to read.

    com wrote:

[...]

    "org"

    em1897@aol.com Guest

  19. #19

    I sticky this thread as retarded.

    +----------==/\/\==----------+ (__) FreeBSD
    | <org> | \\\'',) The
    | Kernel ESCAFLOWNE | \/ \ ^ Power
    | Web http://unixdaemon.org | .\._/_) To
    +----------==\/\/==----------+ Serve

    [ We've switched the bath sponge with a tribble. ]
    Dev Guest

  20. #20

    and who do you think cares what you do?

    > >the cursor on top, so you can read the whole
    > >message and cut irrelevant parts before replying.
    > >the interface is crap. That's not the fault of
    > >anybody on this list.
    > >as possible on this list, the easiest way is
    > >to write well formed mails.
    > >your mailing software also inserts line breaks
    > >where there shouldn't be any and makes it
    > >hard to see who wrote what.
    > >Your quotation is a mess.
    > >If the web interface produces garbage, changing
    > >the interface could be a smart move.
    > >-- > http://www.fabiankeil.de
    > >[/ref]
    > *** Formatted correctly for ease of reading ***
    >
    > com wrote:
    >
    > So - according to YOU, most all of us that run our own servers are
    > idiots. Yanno what? You sound like the type that is forced to use his
    > parents PC, Forced to use AOL, and forced to use web mail.
    >
    > So - since YOU can't have what most of us can and do have, you feel[/ref]
    the
    the
    "org"

    | <org> | \\\'',) The