Professional Web Applications Themes

AAC>MP3? - Mac Applications & Software

Any utilities out there yet that will convert AAQC to MP3 w/o going through AIFF as an intermediate step? -- Paul Fuchs paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net Sitting on a small rock (St. John) in the Caribbean...

  1. #1

    Default AAC>MP3?

    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net
    Sitting on a small rock (St. John) in the Caribbean
    Paul Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: AAC>MP3?

    In article <1fz4b4q.gbpi3011hij4cN%oink>,
    oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote:

    iTunes.

    Import the AAC into iTunes (if it isn't already there). Change the
    preferences to import as MP3. Select the AAC file in the Library and
    use the Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3 command. (That menu item
    changes according to what you've selected as the Import format.)
    Wayne Guest

  3. #3

    Wayne C. Morris <is.invalid> wrote:

    Just to make things clear, this requires iTunes 4.x.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    <http://www.macconsult.com>
    <http://bogart-tribute.net>
    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > Just to make things clear, this requires iTunes 4.x.[/ref]
    >
    > But transcoding from MP3 to ACC will make things less clear ;-)[/ref]

    Thanks Tom and Mike,

    Yeah, I know about the degradation, but I have a MP3 boom box which I
    sometimes bring to construction sites (I'm a plumber) and it will not
    handle AAC.Under most cirstances, I will burn disks for it direct
    from the original to MP3 format, but if I buy a song from Apple in AAC,
    this isn't possible.

  5. #5

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 01:41:35 +0000, Wayne C. Morris wrote:

    > iTunes.
    >
    > Import the AAC into iTunes (if it isn't already there). Change the
    > preferences to import as MP3. Select the AAC file in the Library and use
    > the Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3 command. (That menu item changes
    > according to what you've selected as the Import format.)[/ref]

    A "Get Info" on my iTunes purchases reveals that they are a "Protected AAC
    audio file". When I follow your instructions, I get a dialog box (using
    iTunes 4.01) that says my track "could not be converted because protected
    files cannot be converted to other formats."

    Wouldn't this be true of *all* songs from the iTunes store?

    PLM

    Patrick Guest

  6. #6

    In article <netcom.com>, Patrick
    Mills <netcom.com> wrote:

    > > iTunes.
    > >
    > > Import the AAC into iTunes (if it isn't already there). Change the
    > > preferences to import as MP3. Select the AAC file in the Library and use
    > > the Advanced -> Convert Selection to MP3 command. (That menu item changes
    > > according to what you've selected as the Import format.)[/ref]
    >
    > A "Get Info" on my iTunes purchases reveals that they are a "Protected AAC
    > audio file". When I follow your instructions, I get a dialog box (using
    > iTunes 4.01) that says my track "could not be converted because protected
    > files cannot be converted to other formats."
    >
    > Wouldn't this be true of *all* songs from the iTunes store?[/ref]

    Well, yeah. But the original poster didn't say they were protected
    files from the iTunes music store.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1fz6p9q.1q68sac18t881oN%oink>,
    oink (Paul Fuchs) wrote:

    > > But transcoding from MP3 to ACC will make things less clear ;-)[/ref]
    >
    > Thanks Tom and Mike,
    >
    > Yeah, I know about the degradation, but I have a MP3 boom box which I
    > sometimes bring to construction sites (I'm a plumber) and it will not
    > handle AAC.Under most cirstances, I will burn disks for it direct
    > from the original to MP3 format, but if I buy a song from Apple in AAC,
    > this isn't possible.[/ref]

    Yeah, you'd have to burn it to CD as AIFF and reimport it as MP3 to
    accomplish what you want.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  8. #8

    On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 21:41:39 -0700, Jerry Kindall wrote:

    > Well, yeah. But the original poster didn't say they were protected files
    > from the iTunes music store.[/ref]

    Sorry - you're right. I posted this after reading his later post, which
    included the information that " if I buy a song from Apple in AAC, this
    isn't possible."

    I assumed by this that in his *original* post, he actually did mean that
    he wanted a way to convert songs he was buying from Apple.

    I was hoping against hope that I had missed something when I first tried
    this and it didn't work, so I tried your instructions, and got the
    "protected file" error, so thought I'd post this information in case
    others make the same mistake I did and think it will work with iTunes
    purchases.

    PLM

    Patrick Guest

  9. #9

    Mills <netcom.com> wrote:

    > > Well, yeah. But the original poster didn't say they were protected files
    > > from the iTunes music store.[/ref]
    >
    > Sorry - you're right. I posted this after reading his later post, which
    > included the information that " if I buy a song from Apple in AAC, this
    > isn't possible."
    >
    > I assumed by this that in his *original* post, he actually did mean that
    > he wanted a way to convert songs he was buying from Apple.
    >
    > I was hoping against hope that I had missed something when I first tried
    > this and it didn't work, so I tried your instructions, and got the
    > "protected file" error, so thought I'd post this information in case
    > others make the same mistake I did and think it will work with iTunes
    > purchases.[/ref]

    Yeah, to do it with a protected file, the easiest way is probably to
    import it to iMovie, then export it from there. iMovie ignores the
    protection. Or you can burn it to a CD, and rip that.