Professional Web Applications Themes

About backup the files and filesystems - Linux / Unix Administration

Hi, Sorry to bother you all. We need help. We use "ufsdump" to dump the whole partition to the tape and "tar" to tar some files in an external harddisk to the tape. But when we try to take a look at the content of the tape, we only can see the ufsdump part but cannot see the tar files. Why is this? Can anyone answer my question? Thank you very much. -Z -------------------------------------------...

  1. #1

    Default About backup the files and filesystems

    Hi,

    Sorry to bother you all. We need help.
    We use "ufsdump" to dump the whole partition to the tape and "tar" to
    tar some files in an external harddisk to the tape. But when we try to
    take a look at the content of the tape, we only can see the ufsdump part
    but cannot see the tar files. Why is this? Can anyone answer my question?
    Thank you very much.
    -Z

    zhaohui yang Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: About backup the files and filesystems

    zhaohui yang <zyang1students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Sorry to bother you all. We need help.
    > We use "ufsdump" to dump the whole partition to the tape and "tar" to
    > tar some files in an external harddisk to the tape. But when we try to
    > take a look at the content of the tape, we only can see the ufsdump part
    > but cannot see the tar files. Why is this? Can anyone answer my question?
    > Thank you very much.
    > -Z
    Did you append the tarfiles AFTER the ufsdump portion ? Then you will
    need to forward the tape one filemark ( mt fsf 1 ) before using tar.
    ( don't forget to use a non-rewind tapedevice )

    /PS
    i shure hope you made the above ufsdump to a non-rewind-after-close device,
    when the backup was done, otherwize the tape will rewind when ufsdump is done
    and the tar will overwrite the dump.
    /DS

    Peter Håkanson
    phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks.
    Before we have a wrong impression that ufsdump can only dump the whole
    partition. But actually we can dump subdirectory by using ufsdump. so the
    problem is resolved.
    You are right, tar command will open the device before it excutes and will
    close after it's done. And when it's done, it will auto rewind the device
    to the beginning. The way to tar multiple folders at one time is
    tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 folder1 folder2 folder3...
    -Z