Professional Web Applications Themes

About Raw Mysql Data - MySQL

Hi Everyone, I have some problems with raw mysql data such as MYD MYI frm files. I got some files from my friend and he does not know which version use those files. I have installed 3 different mysql version but i still get "....was created with a different version of MySQL and cannot be read" error. How can i determine version or convert to sql files? Thanks from now on, Serdar Sahin...

  1. #1

    Default About Raw Mysql Data

    Hi Everyone,

    I have some problems with raw mysql data such as MYD MYI frm files. I
    got some files from my friend and he does not know which version use
    those files. I have installed 3 different mysql version but i still
    get "....was created with a different version of MySQL and cannot be
    read" error. How can i determine version or convert to sql files?

    Thanks from now on,

    Serdar Sahin

    Beyza Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: About Raw Mysql Data

    Beyza wrote:

    In general you can only use the files themselves if the version and OS
    are exactly the same. There may be some exceptions, but don't count on it.

    Have your friend export the database(s) instead. Then you can import
    them. Otherwise you'll have to find out from your friend exactly which
    version and os he is using.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    Its better you ask the sql dump instead the raw data. The MyIsam raw
    data is transferable. If you got MyIsam raw data you can use at any
    version server.

    --
    http://ascii.mastervb.net -- ASCII Art Generator
    http://www.mastervb.net/phpbooks -- Best php/mysql books

    lorento Guest

  4. #4

    Jerry Stuckle <net> wrote:

    > In general you can only use the files themselves if the version and OS
    > are exactly the same.[/ref]

    No. And No.

    It is one of the features of MyISAM that data is stored platform
    independent. Also MyISAM is backwards compatible. Newer Server can
    always read the older versions. There may be issues with indexes,
    but reading, especially exporting data should always work.

    Table version is in the .frm file normally.
    Here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/index.html
    is some background information.

    So to use an unknown MyISAM table,
    - get latest MySQL server
    - run myisamchk on the table, if that succedds
    - put table in datadir and access it

    XL
    --
    Axel Schwenke, Support Engineer, MySQL AB

    Online User Manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/
    MySQL User Forums: http://forums.mysql.com/
    Axel Guest

  5. #5

    Axel Schwenke wrote:
    >> In general you can only use the files themselves if the version and OS
    >> are exactly the same.[/ref]
    >
    > No. And No.

    > It is one of the features of MyISAM that data is stored platform
    > independent. Also MyISAM is backwards compatible. Newer Server can
    > always read the older versions. There may be issues with indexes,
    > but reading, especially exporting data should always work.
    >
    > Table version is in the .frm file normally.
    > Here: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/index.html
    > is some background information.
    >

    > So to use an unknown MyISAM table,
    > - get latest MySQL server
    > - run myisamchk on the table, if that succedds
    > - put table in datadir and access it
    >

    > XL
    > --
    > Axel Schwenke, Support Engineer, MySQL AB
    >
    > Online User Manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/
    > MySQL User Forums: http://forums.mysql.com/[/ref]

    Axel,

    It's a good concept. But it doesn't always work in practice.

    Export/Import always works. I've often had problems with copying the
    files, especially between OS's and versions.

    Now I understand when you go down in version it might not work. But
    going to later versions doesn't always work, either.

    Backup/restore always works (except for things like changes in the
    password algorithm).

    --
    ==================

  6. #6

    Hi again,

    Thanks for your response guys..

    I have tried to install many versions (including latest alpha, beta,
    stable and old versions) but still get that error and do not know how
    can i solve. Even i have used mysql recovery program but nothing
    changed.

    I think better to find sql export, will try..

    Thanks a lot..

    Serdar Sahin

    On Feb 13, 1:35 pm, Jerry Stuckle <net> wrote: [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    > [/ref]

    > Axel,
    >
    > It's a good concept. But it doesn't always work in practice.
    >
    > Export/Import always works. I've often had problems with copying the
    > files, especially between OS's and versions.
    >
    > Now I understand when you go down in version it might not work. But
    > going to later versions doesn't always work, either.
    >
    > Backup/restore always works (except for things like changes in the
    > password algorithm).
    >
    > --
    > ==================
    > Remove the "x" from my email address
    > Jerry Stuckle
    > JDS Computer Training Corp.
    > net
    > ==================[/ref]

    Beyza Guest

  7. #7

    Jerry Stuckle <net> wrote: [/ref]

    Since the platform independence is an important feature of MyISAM, I
    would like to know the details.

    There may be problems if you try to open files from a *very* old MySQL
    version on a recent server. However, for upgrading MySQL you usually
    don't need to unload/load your data but just upgrade the executables
    and run mysql_upgrade (that uses myisamchk behind the scenes).

    ACK on that. SQL dumps are better in most cases.

    XL
    --
    Axel Schwenke, Support Engineer, MySQL AB

    Online User Manual: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/
    MySQL User Forums: http://forums.mysql.com/
    Axel Guest

  8. Moderated Post