Professional Web Applications Themes

Absolute Newbie Questions - Sun Solaris

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:54:25 +0000, Kent Wormsdorf wrote: > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:31:02 +0000, John Cusick wrote: > >> Hello to all; >> >> I am new to SunOS and had an older Sparcstation 2 given to me. I >> believe it is a nice system and I really like the monitor and see a >> good use for this system on my personal network as a learning tool and >> one nice web browsing system! >> >> I had no trouble integrating it into my network, just setting the hosts >> file and giving the ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Absolute Newbie Questions

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:54:25 +0000, Kent Wormsdorf wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:31:02 +0000, John Cusick wrote:
    >
    >> Hello to all;
    >>
    >> I am new to SunOS and had an older Sparcstation 2 given to me. I
    >> believe it is a nice system and I really like the monitor and see a
    >> good use for this system on my personal network as a learning tool and
    >> one nice web browsing system!
    >>
    >> I had no trouble integrating it into my network, just setting the hosts
    >> file and giving the box a static ip address, but there the simple part
    >> stops. I am familiar with UNIX-like systems, particularly Linux and
    >> BSDUnix so no major problems generally, but it appears the mouse isn't
    >> working and I would like to know how to test it out (check to see if
    >> the driver is even loaded, etc.)
    >>
    >> Also, other than man pages, I can find little manual info on the net or
    >> Sun's web site, but then again, I'm not really sure what I'm looking
    >> for.
    >>
    >> This is a Sparcstation 2, SunOS 4.1.1, no cdrom, but floppy, keyboard,
    >> monitor etc.
    >>
    >> I hope I don't sound too dumb, but I really need some pointers,
    >> tutorials, info, to get started with this system.
    >>
    >> For what its worth, I briefly ran Sun OS 7 on an Intel platform a few
    >> years ago, but it was too slow for me unfortunately to put it to any
    >> good use (learning tool, etc) since the Intel box itself was way too
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any pointers, in advance.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> John Cusick
    > Hi John
    >
    > A SPARCStation 2 is a very old Sun machine (1991 I think.), so You can't
    > finde much infomation about it on Sun's homepage. I think you should
    > chek Sunhelp's homepage on: [url]www.sunhelp.org[/url] where there is a lot of
    > informationabout Sun HW and SW, like FAQ's and links to several other
    > sites.
    >
    > I hope You can use it.
    >
    > Greetings
    > Kent
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately the past few hours searching
    desperately on the Internet definitely show this to be true.

    Next question:

    I see that this system will use up to Solaris 7 as an OS, but how good is
    it or am I better off using the old Intel Solaris 7 version I have on a
    faster PC, and, what model CDROM Drive should I be looking for, if its
    worth putting Solaris 7 on this machine.

    I really like the monitor, which is why I would like to keep this system
    up. Again it is a SPARCstation 2 SunOS 4c

    Regards,

    John C.
    John Cusick Guest

  2. #2

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:34:53 +0000, Andrew wrote:
    > John Cusick <johncusick.ws> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I see that this system will use up to Solaris 7 as an OS, but how good
    >> is it or am I better off using the old Intel Solaris 7 version I have
    >> on a faster PC, and, what model CDROM Drive should I be looking for, if
    >> its worth putting Solaris 7 on this machine.
    >
    > yes. run Solaris 7. or, at the very least Solaris 2.5.1. don't bother
    > with SunOS 4.x
    >
    > you cannot use the Intel Solaris distribution. you need the SPARC
    > platform edition. you can pick it up on ebay for well under $40. see,
    > for example:
    >
    > [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3031459482&category=11 228[/url]
    >
    > i ran both SunOS 4 and Solaris on a SPARCstation IPX (basically just a
    > SPARC 2 in a lunchbox case, instead of the flat 'pizza box' style you
    > have) for years, and it worked perfectly well. the GUI will be a litle
    > slow, but still useable.
    >
    > you will need a CDROM that supports a 2K block size in order to boot
    > that system from CD. i personally use a Toshiba 3401 on which i cut the
    > jumpers. see:
    >
    > [url]http://www.pimpworks.org/sun/toshiba3401.html[/url]
    >
    > also, more generally, see the Sun CDROM FAQ at:
    >
    > [url]http://www.pimpworks.org/sun/cdrom.html[/url]
    >

    > Andrew
    Andrew

    thanks.

    One final question... :-) It looks like a Solaris upgrade is the only
    sensible way to go, so is there a major difference between the SPARC
    Server 7 and Workstation 7 editions? Is one recommended over the other,
    and why?

    OK, ... two questions.

    (This will be a good opportunity to well learn another OS as I'm in
    between jobs - read "down-sized" - at the moment)

    Both are available on Ebay relatively cheap. (Maybe I oughts buy both?)

    Regards,

    John C.
    John Cusick Guest

  3. #3

    --
    PS. (Sorry, only in Danish.)

    Er der nogen der mangler en mand med lidt viden om Sun HW og SW,
    så må I gerne sende mig en E-mail.
    Jeg er uddannet datamatiker og har senest arbejdet som teknisk presale konsulent.

    Kent Wormsdorf Guest

  4. #4

    John Cusick <johncusick.ws> wrote:

    [...]
    > I had no trouble integrating it into my network, just setting the hosts
    > file and giving the box a static ip address, but there the simple part
    > stops. I am familiar with UNIX-like systems, particularly Linux and
    > BSDUnix so no major problems generally, but it appears the mouse isn't
    > working and I would like to know how to test it out (check to see if the
    > driver is even loaded, etc.)
    the mouse driver loads automatically. this may
    be an obvious question, but: are you running
    a GUI such as OpenWindows? the mouse plugs into
    the keyboard (it's probably an optical mouse;
    you need the blue metal optical mousepad) and the
    keyboard, of course, plugs into the back of the
    unit. if you are not getting a mouse functionality
    in the GUI, you probably have a hardware problem.

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:23:38 +0000, Andrew wrote:
    > John Cusick <johncusick.ws> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I had no trouble integrating it into my network, just setting the hosts
    >> file and giving the box a static ip address, but there the simple part
    >> stops. I am familiar with UNIX-like systems, particularly Linux and
    >> BSDUnix so no major problems generally, but it appears the mouse isn't
    >> working and I would like to know how to test it out (check to see if
    >> the driver is even loaded, etc.)
    >
    > the mouse driver loads automatically. this may be an obvious question,
    > but: are you running a GUI such as OpenWindows? the mouse plugs into the
    > keyboard (it's probably an optical mouse; you need the blue metal
    > optical mousepad) and the keyboard, of course, plugs into the back of
    > the unit. if you are not getting a mouse functionality in the GUI, you
    > probably have a hardware problem.
    >
    > Andrew
    Bad LED on one side, I understand they may be replaced.

    John C.
    John Cusick Guest

  7. #7

    John Cusick <johncusick.ws> wrote:

    [...]
    > One final question... :-) It looks like a Solaris upgrade is the only
    > sensible way to go, so is there a major difference between the SPARC
    > Server 7 and Workstation 7 editions? Is one recommended over the other,
    > and why?
    the "Server" kit contains some extra stuff you'll
    never need or use. the base OS is identical, so it
    doesn't make any difference which one you get.

    Andrew

    Andrew Guest