Professional Web Applications Themes

ACCENT INSENSITIVE - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Unfortunately it does not work: Incorrect syntax near 'franšais'. Using: SELECT Filename, Size, Vpath, Path, Write, Characterization, DocTitle FROM scope() WHERE CONTAINS ('franšais', COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI) or SELECT Filename, Size, Vpath, Path, Write, Characterization, DocTitle FROM scope() WHERE CONTAINS ('franšais' COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI) Any ideas? Thanks a lot.   -----  news:005e01c3512f$5d62e1a0$gbl...  not  ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: ACCENT INSENSITIVE

    -----
    not
    Jay Guest

  2. #2

    Ah, I didn't check the syntax of your CONTAINS predicate. You have to specify the column or * as the first argument:

    SELECT Filename, Size, Vpath, Path, Write,
    Characterization, DocTitle FROM scope() WHERE CONTAINS
    (*, 'franšais')

    Thus, the code would become:

    SELECT Filename, Size, Vpath, Path, Write,
    Characterization, DocTitle FROM scope() WHERE CONTAINS
    (*, 'franšais' COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI)

    Having said that, I don't believe that you can do full-text indexing on a UDF, although I haven't tried. Perhaps you can put a full-text index on the underlying table and the CONTAINS predicate will flow through - if you use an in-line table-valued UDF.

    --
    Tom

    Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA
    SQL Server MVP
    Columnist, SQL Server Professional
    Toronto, ON Canada
    www.pinnaclepublishing.com/sql

    "Jay" <com> wrote in message news:00f501c3513d$1ec1d420$gbl...
    Unfortunately it does not work:

    Incorrect syntax near 'franšais'.

    Using: SELECT Filename, Size, Vpath, Path, Write,
    Characterization, DocTitle FROM scope() WHERE CONTAINS
    ('franšais', COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI)

    or

    SELECT Filename, Size, Vpath, Path, Write,
    Characterization, DocTitle FROM scope() WHERE CONTAINS
    ('franšais' COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AI)

    Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

    -----
    not

    Tom Guest

  3. #3

    Hey, thanx for that. I knew something smelled fishy.

    --
    Tom

    Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA
    SQL Server MVP
    Columnist, SQL Server Professional
    Toronto, ON Canada
    www.pinnaclepublishing.com/sql

    "John Kane" <net> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    Tom and Jay,
    Tom, this is actually more of an access to Index Server (IS) syntax issue
    vs. SQL Server FTS and Jay you might want to repost this to the IS
    newsgroup - microsoft.public.inetserver.indexserver. The use of scope() is
    the key to understanding that this is IS code.

    No, you cannot do FT Indexing on a UDF or even a VIEW for that matter.
    Although, you can have SQL FTS code inside a VIEW.
    Note, you can also post FTS related questions to the newsgroup:
    microsoft.public.sqlserver.fulltext

    Regards,
    John

  4. #4

    Well Karen Watterson - our editor - is always looking for articles to publish. Contact her at com.

    --
    Tom

    Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA
    SQL Server MVP
    Columnist, SQL Server Professional
    Toronto, ON Canada
    www.pinnaclepublishing.com/sql
    ..
    "John Kane" <net> wrote in message news:phx.gbl...
    You're welcome, Tom,
    I do a great deal of posting in the fulltext newsgroup and just FYI, I'm
    researching, developing apps and writing a book on SQL FTS to include Yukon.
    If you need a magazine article or two on SQL FTS, let me know...