Professional Web Applications Themes

Acceptance of Digital in Magazines - Photography

Several years past I managed to publish a few articles in various mags, supplementing the articles with my own photography. I used Kodachrome 25, 64, and later, Velvia 50 as my film. I recently added a D70 to my cameras, and doing a little searching on the web, I find that many Magazine publishers are still quite cautious about using any form of digital imagery. I get the impression that the D70's 6.1 megapixals is on the edge of acceptability (and just plain not acceptable by some mags). Anyone else look into this subject? Ken...

  1. #1

    Default Acceptance of Digital in Magazines

    Several years past I managed to publish a few articles in
    various mags, supplementing the articles with my own photography. I
    used Kodachrome 25, 64, and later, Velvia 50 as my film. I recently
    added a D70 to my cameras, and doing a little searching on the web, I
    find that many Magazine publishers are still quite cautious about
    using any form of digital imagery. I get the impression that the D70's
    6.1 megapixals is on the edge of acceptability (and just plain not
    acceptable by some mags).
    Anyone else look into this subject? Ken
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Acceptance of Digital in Magazines

    Ken Palmateer wrote:

    I know a publisher of a highly image oriented aviation magazine who uses
    digital in a lot of his printed material, incl. full page and covers,
    otherwise he specifies Velvia. He's done a lot of his own work from a
    Canon 10D for the mag.

    (I bet he's moved up to a 20D in the meantime since I've chatted with him).

    http://www.verticalmag.com/issue02/ cover was shot on a Canon 10D.
    I have the digital image but I can't send it to you. (C).
    3072 x 2048 pix. In the original you can pick off pretty good detail
    from the drilling platform in the BG.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    "Ken Palmateer" <ca> wrote in message

    I heard that 5 megapixels is the minimum most publications will accept. Any
    more would be icing on the cake.

    Yesterday I was watching a photographer on TV taking some shots with a Nikon
    DSLR in a studio setting with full strobes. Not sure which model it was,
    but every time he took a shot he's check the LCD on the back of the camera,
    and I could see it lit up. That's why I know he was shooting digital.

    I would say it depends on the magazine, but as pixel counts go up they will
    all eventually cave. And they are already making medium format digital
    cameras.

    Sheldon Guest

  4. #4

    Ken Palmateer wrote:

    There was a big debate here (or rec.digital) about Arizona Highways
    refusing 6MP digital images. They print tabloid sized (small newspaper)
    double page photos so maybe that was near the edge of usability but also
    they just were used to large format & resisting a new workflow. That's
    nice that they can keep those guys employed but I don't think it's at
    all typical of most magazines, more like an example of a last holdout.
    paul Guest

  5. #5

    Ken,

    For some 6 isn't even close. This from Webshots...

    Specifications - Transparencies and Slides

    For best reproduction quality, we prefer original slides, but we accept
    duplicate slides for initial consideration (make sure you indicate they are
    duplicates). To ensure their safety, slides should be placed in plastic
    slide pages and each should be clearly labeled with your name and a caption.
    Please include specific subject and location information. Loose and/or
    uncaptioned slides will not be considered. Please do not submit unless you
    have a minimum of 60 images (150+ optimal). Note that due to desktop format,
    we prefer horizontal photos to vertical.

    Formats accepted: 35mm slides + larger sized transparencies (i.e. 4x5, 6x7)

    Specifications - Digital Files

    Although we prefer slides, we do accept digital submissions on CD-ROM.
    Please note that we require a final resolution of 5400x3600 300 dpi. Few
    digital cameras are capable of reaching a resolution that high, but Webshots
    will consider images taken with cameras 11 megapixels and higher. Please
    save the images in .jpg format at high quality level 10 (if saving in
    Photoshop).

    Submit all CD images at 1600x1200 72 dpi and also include one image at
    5400x3600 300 dpi so we may better evaluate your scan quality. This one
    should be the best representation of your work. All images must be
    artifact-free and color corrected to be considered. If you scan your own
    work, please note that you'll need a scanner that can "optically" produce
    files at a minimum of 4000 dpi. Images interpolated more than 30% will not
    be accepted.

    Regards

    DM

    "Ken Palmateer" <ca> wrote in message

    DM Guest

  6. #6

    In article <net>, net says...

    Actually, they refuse (and still refuse) ALL digital images.
    Brian Guest

  7. #7

    In article <RsQWd.30045$news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
    blueyonder.co.uk says...

    I'd like to see what would happen if you took a 1D Mark II image,
    upsampled it and added some Photoshop "film grain". Would they be able
    to tell the difference between that and a 35mm film scan? It's not that
    big of a stretch for the 1D Mark II - only a 54% increase in linear
    dimensions. When you consider the low noise, dynamic range and
    contrast, I'm sure it would end up looking better than the 35mm scan.

    Anyone want to try it?
    Brian Guest

  8. #8

    DM wrote: