Professional Web Applications Themes

Access ASP newbie help - ASP Database

Hi I would appreciate advice concerning what I need to learn to develop a web based database which I need to create as part of my computer course. The database should be fully web based, it should allow members of a club to subscribe to various groups and will enable group leaders to send email to group members. I have quite a lot of MS Office experience including Access. I have very very little experience of VB, VB script, HTML, Frontpage. I have no experience of ASP, Dreamweaver, ADO or any other technologies required for building a web based database. ...

  1. #1

    Default Access ASP newbie help

    Hi

    I would appreciate advice concerning what I need to learn to develop a
    web based database which I need to create as part of my computer
    course.

    The database should be fully web based, it should allow members of a
    club to subscribe to various groups and will enable group leaders to
    send email to group members.

    I have quite a lot of MS Office experience including Access.
    I have very very little experience of VB, VB script, HTML, Frontpage.
    I have no experience of ASP, Dreamweaver, ADO or any other
    technologies required for building a web based database.

    Short term I want to concentrate on learning what I need for this
    project.
    Long term I want to develop fully commercial web based databases.

    My preference is to use Access not MySQL at this stage.

    Focusing solely on this project, what do I need to produce / learn?
    How accurate is the following?

    -Access tables and queries - no forms, reports or macro's in the
    database?? - what about modules?
    -Should I use SQL in the queries or only in the ASP pages
    -Bearing in mind my long term plans for web design should I learn
    Dreamweaver as opposed to Front page.
    -I know I will have to extend my knowledge of HTML
    -Do I need VB or just VB script?

    I am upgrading to Win XP Pro and Office XP Pro and am considering
    Dreamweaver MX 2004.

    Should I use asp or asp.net? If I need VB should I get v3.0 or VB.net

    Can anyone direct me to a very simple working web based database which
    I can get a copy of? I mean very simple, eg with only a couple of
    tables / queries and a few actions, query, add and delete records.

    Can anyone recommend any good books / on line tutorials for any of the
    above?

    Thanks Colin
    Colin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Access ASP newbie help

    At your point now, you should start using ASP.NET, I would think. Another
    point, a web based database is no different than a regular database, just
    the interfaces are. You will build a database just like you do in Access,
    and then use ASP or .NET to make the interfaces to insert/update/delete
    data, or to calculate data, or any other thing that you can think of.

    I use Dreamweaver, but this is personal preference. Visual Studio .NET
    would be another choice. But stay away from frontpage! You won't need VB
    to code these pages, you will just use the vbscript instead.

    Here are some resources,

    www.w3schools.com
    www.aspfaq.com

    HTH,
    drew

    Drew Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Drew

    Thanks for your suggestions. I am still trying to get my head around
    'what I need' and 'what I need to ignore'- so I hope you will not mind a
    few very basic questions.

    Firstly, for other readers, a quick reminder of what I am intending to
    do:
    I would appreciate advice concerning what I need to learn to develop a
    web based database which I need to create as part of my computer course.
    The database will be fully web based, it should allow members of a club
    to subscribe to various groups and will enable group leaders to send
    email to the group.

    To clarify your answer. Is the following correct? To make an access
    database accessable from the web I don't need anything other than.
    ???
    -Access (2002)
    -VB Script
    -ASP.net
    -something to generate HTML - possibly notepad or a simple HTML editor
    -IIS or PWS for development - XP Pro
    -A web server capable of hosting ASP.net pages
    ???

    Is there a VB Script.net?

    Assuming the database will by only usable from the web, what else will
    be required in the access database apart from tables, relationships and
    queries?
    Should macro's or events be included in the database or in the VB
    Script. eg to trigger the procedure which will send email?
    What technology will I need to send email to each group?

    Can anyone recommend any good tutorials (online or book) for vb Script
    and asp.net?

    Although you mention that I will not need VB, is VB.net an alternative
    solution?

    http://www.awprofessional.com/title/0201734400

    suggests some of the things that VB.net will do, including Web Forms
    (which I believe is another name for an ASP.NET page).
    How different would this solution be to the Access / VB Script / ASP.net
    solution above? Would / could it include Access as the database, or
    would a complete VB database need to be created?

    Thanks Colin

    Colin Guest