Professional Web Applications Themes

Access DB Networkshare - ASP.NET Web Services

HI all, I have a problem here. I developed a webservice which provides the client with a dataset. The dataset is filled with data from an access db. In my dev-environment everything worked, but on side the mdb is on a network share. Here I granted aspnet user access to the mdb and the directory where it is stored. Since aspnet is a local account and only domain accounts have access to this share (this is a Novell - Network), I was not able to connect to the db. I tried to change the process Identity( described in [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconApplicationIdentity.asp[/url]) to ...

  1. #1

    Default Access DB Networkshare

    HI all,

    I have a problem here. I developed a webservice which provides the client
    with a dataset. The dataset is filled with data from an access db. In my
    dev-environment everything worked, but on side the mdb is on a network
    share.

    Here I granted aspnet user access to the mdb and the directory where it is
    stored. Since aspnet is a local account and only domain accounts have access
    to this share (this is a Novell - Network), I was not able to connect to the
    db.

    I tried to change the process Identity( described in
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconApplicationIdentity.asp[/url])
    to a domain account. But I get the same failure every time: The DB is
    exclusively opend or you do not have sufficient rights....

    Maybe I have to use ODBC but this is not the way I like. Performance is poor
    enough with Access.

    Has anyone an idea to solve this problem?

    Thank you very much

    Louis Hau▀knecht

    Louis Hau▀knecht Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Access DB Networkshare

    It is a security issue. Switch anonymous access to the virtual directory off
    and use impersonation.
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconimpersonation.asp[/url]

    "Louis Hau▀knecht" <louishaussknecht.com> wrote in message
    > HI all,
    >
    > I have a problem here. I developed a webservice which provides the client
    > with a dataset. The dataset is filled with data from an access db. In my
    > dev-environment everything worked, but on side the mdb is on a network
    > share.
    >
    > Here I granted aspnet user access to the mdb and the directory where it is
    > stored. Since aspnet is a local account and only domain accounts have
    access
    > to this share (this is a Novell - Network), I was not able to connect to
    the
    > db.
    >
    > I tried to change the process Identity( described in

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconApplicationIdentity.asp[/url])
    > to a domain account. But I get the same failure every time: The DB is
    > exclusively opend or you do not have sufficient rights....
    >
    > Maybe I have to use ODBC but this is not the way I like. Performance is
    poor
    > enough with Access.
    >
    > Has anyone an idea to solve this problem?
    >
    > Thank you very much
    >
    > Louis Hau▀knecht

    Chris S Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Chris!

    Thank you for the quick answer. I got it running by switching the
    processModel username to my domain - account. Since the machine is dedicated
    for my Webservice this solutuion should be okay. But I'll try to do it with
    your suggestion and use impersonation.

    Happy new year!

    Louis

    "Chris S" <chris_s_bothaAT_h.o.t.m.a.i.l.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > It is a security issue. Switch anonymous access to the virtual directory
    off
    > and use impersonation.

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconimpersonation.asp[/url]

    > "Louis Hau▀knecht" <louishaussknecht.com> wrote in message
    > > HI all,
    > >
    > > I have a problem here. I developed a webservice which provides the
    client
    > > with a dataset. The dataset is filled with data from an access db. In my
    > > dev-environment everything worked, but on side the mdb is on a network
    > > share.
    > >
    > > Here I granted aspnet user access to the mdb and the directory where it
    is
    > > stored. Since aspnet is a local account and only domain accounts have
    > access
    > > to this share (this is a Novell - Network), I was not able to connect to
    > the
    > > db.
    > >
    > > I tried to change the process Identity( described in

    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconApplicationIdentity.asp[/url])
    > > to a domain account. But I get the same failure every time: The DB is
    > > exclusively opend or you do not have sufficient rights....
    > >
    > > Maybe I have to use ODBC but this is not the way I like. Performance is
    > poor
    > > enough with Access.
    > >
    > > Has anyone an idea to solve this problem?
    > >
    > > Thank you very much
    > >
    > > Louis Hau▀knecht

    Louis Hau▀knecht Guest