Professional Web Applications Themes

Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could bepermission problem - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated. I have the following error message: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem when trying to publish files to 'one' of my folders. all other folders seem ok. The website has a deep file structure and it's likely that contribute will assign more then 31 characters as a filename. I've checked this as my client has been unsuccessfully trying to upload from a mac. Although I am have the same issues with a pc. We created some sybolic links higher up in the file stucture ...

  1. #1

    Default Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could bepermission problem

    If anyone can help it would be really appreciated.

    I have the following error message: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or
    there could be permission problem when trying to publish files to 'one' of my
    folders. all other folders seem ok.

    The website has a deep file structure and it's likely that contribute will
    assign more then 31 characters as a filename. I've checked this as my client
    has been unsuccessfully trying to upload from a mac. Although I am have the
    same issues with a pc.

    We created some sybolic links higher up in the file stucture the same error
    message appeared.

    File permisions for that folder are set to 775. it contains another folder
    whose permisions are 644.

    I noticed that when accessing the folder with dreamweaver the design notes
    seems to slow the process of opening.

    Well thats all I know. Hoping someone somewhere will be able to shed more
    light on the issue. thanks - me.

    slrock01 Guest

  2. #2

    Hi ,

    This seems to be a permission problem with the folder you are trying to
    publish pages to. Please make sure that the username you used to connect to the
    website has write permissions to the folder.
    The folder permission is set to 644 , make sure that you are the owner(or
    belong to user group) of the folder; as GROUP and OTHERS have only read
    permission !!

    read - 4
    write - 2
    execute -1

    Hope this helped.

    arao2k6 Guest

  3. #3

    After installing a trial version of Contribute 3 on a clients machine, I was
    getting this error and came here because he did not purchase the software and
    Adobe doesn't provide support unless you purchase it. But it turned out his ISP
    had made changes on the server. That was the issue. So, check that out.

    akamax Guest

  4. #4

    We're having the same issue,

    Contribute 3, version 3.1, Win 2003 server, all permissions ok via FTP client.

    "Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could be permission problem"

    Contribute creates a lock file and deletes the lock file on publish (we
    checked via FTP) but after publishing and then trying to re-edit the page it
    shows as locked i.e. "This page is being edited by another user" even though
    there is no lock file on the server - I cant stress this enough - there is no
    lock file.

    Support is pants and just keeps sending us the same help file on what a lock
    file is and what it does, after not ringing us back for 3 days, then lost or
    case number. We're now on our 3rd call for the same issue. Poor effort.

    So, we still have the issue of the locked page with no lock file (checked via
    FTP), as admin if you delete the lock file (even though theres definately not
    one there) you get the "Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could
    be permission problem" error.

    On returning to the page it shows the same message "You can't edit this page
    now because its being edited on another computer. Click here to make this page
    editable." - there is no lock file :)

    The error is obviously due to the lock file not being there, although
    contribute thinks it is hense "...The file may not exist,..." in the error
    message.

    Contribute can not tell that the lock file has been deleted on publish or
    removed by the admin.

    Any ideas...

    Thanks for reading all that :)
    Justin

    ShiverSol Guest

  5. #5

    Hello,

    I am having very similar problem. I have a site that I just moved to servers
    where I have other sites funcitoning great, but the prob with this site is when
    I set it up, I made the mistake of downloading a trial version of C4, the
    customer uses C2, and isn't interested in upgrading, can't blame him
    considering the 'net' Contribute gets users in.

    At this time, I see no .lck files in the remote site, but when the user who is
    an administrator attempts to connect, he sees error that he cannot edit this
    site because me, my email address is currently editing it. I have removed
    myself from the C4 user roles, but he still gets message that I am editing.
    Again, there are NO .lck files. What else holds user information on the server
    that could linger after the user logs out?

    Thanks!!

    genuous Guest

  6. #6

    Post Re: Access Denied. The file may not exist, or there could bepermission problem

    Do you have error messages?, like :
    Path too long
    Error cannot delete file: cannot read from source file or disk
    Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    Cannot delete file or folder The file name you specified is not valid or too long. Specify a different file name.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Error Deleting File or Folder
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.
    Error Copying File or Folder.
    Cannot remove folder.
    The filename or extension is too long.
    Path too deep.
    Destination Path Too Long.
    Could not find this item.
    Filename is not valid.
    The file could not be accessed.
    The path you entered, is too long. Enter a shorter path.
    File Name could not be found. Check the spelling of the filename, and verify that the file location is correct.

    LONG PATH Tool 3.6 at http://LongPathTool.com
    DuglasKrin Guest