Professional Web Applications Themes

Access denied when creating Access application object - ASP Database

In an ASP file I am running the following in VBScript in order to extract data from an Access 2002 MDB file which is physically located in the virtual directory in PWS along with the ASP file: dim objAccess set objAccess = Server.CreateObject("Access.Application") When the second line executes I am getting error "ASP 0178 - Server.CreateObject Access Error. The call to Server.CreateObject failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object." I have Access 2002 installed on the same Windows 2000 Professional PC as the Personal Web Server and the virtual directory for the ASP file. I would appreciate ...

  1. #1

    Default Access denied when creating Access application object

    In an ASP file I am running the following in VBScript in order to extract
    data from an Access 2002 MDB file which is physically located in the virtual
    directory in PWS along with the ASP file:

    dim objAccess
    set objAccess = Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")

    When the second line executes I am getting error "ASP 0178 -
    Server.CreateObject Access Error. The call to Server.CreateObject failed
    while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object."

    I have Access 2002 installed on the same Windows 2000 Professional PC as the
    Personal Web Server and the virtual directory for the ASP file.

    I would appreciate any thoughts on why access is denied.

    Bill

    Bill Murphy Guest

  2. #2

    What kind of data are you trying to access from the database? Records? If
    so, use ADO. Also, as many will probably tell you, using Office
    applications on Web servers is il-advised, per Microsoft.

    Ray at home

    --
    Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help

    "Bill Murphy" <wmurphyhouston.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:px0Wa.138040$xg5.83493twister.austin.rr.com. ..
    > In an ASP file I am running the following in VBScript in order to extract
    > data from an Access 2002 MDB file which is physically located in the
    virtual
    > directory in PWS along with the ASP file:
    >
    > dim objAccess
    > set objAccess = Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")
    >
    > When the second line executes I am getting error "ASP 0178 -
    > Server.CreateObject Access Error. The call to Server.CreateObject failed
    > while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object."
    >
    > I have Access 2002 installed on the same Windows 2000 Professional PC as
    the
    > Personal Web Server and the virtual directory for the ASP file.
    >
    > I would appreciate any thoughts on why access is denied.
    >
    > Bill

    Ray at Guest

  3. #3

    Chances are you'll be fine with an Access database, but you do NOT need to
    install Access on the server to get to the data!

    Ray at work

    news:mv8Wa.131981$hV.8902006twister.austin.rr.com ...

  4. #4

    Ray and Bob,

    The only thing I need from Office is to be able to pull data from Access
    tables and display it for my users read only. I will probably use the
    Office Web Components so that I will have spreadsheet, charting and pivot
    table functionality. Ray mentioned that it is not necessary to install
    Access on the server in order to get to the data in an MDB file on the
    server, and I will explore this. I will also read the Microsoft white paper
    that Bob referred me to concerning Microsoft's reservations about Office
    automation on the Web.

    I would appreciate any further thoughts.

    Bill

    "Bob Barrows" <reb_01501> wrote in message
    > Bill Murphy wrote:
    > > In an ASP file I am running the following in VBScript in order to
    > > extract data from an Access 2002 MDB file which is physically located
    > > in the virtual directory in PWS along with the ASP file:
    > >
    > > dim objAccess
    > > set objAccess = Server.CreateObject("Access.Application")
    > >
    > > When the second line executes I am getting error "ASP 0178 -
    > > Server.CreateObject Access Error. The call to Server.CreateObject
    > > failed while checking permissions. Access is denied to this object."
    > >
    > > I have Access 2002 installed on the same Windows 2000 Professional PC
    > > as the Personal Web Server and the virtual directory for the ASP file.
    > >
    > > I would appreciate any thoughts on why access is denied.
    > >
    > > Bill
    >
    > [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q257757[/url]
    >
    > HTH,
    > Bob Barrows

    Bill Murphy Guest

  5. #5

    Bill,

    Here is a page that tells how to create connections to
    various databases (including access). AS someone has
    already mentioned, you do not need Access on the server to
    retrieve data from access tables. Therefore, you do NOT
    need to create an "Access.Application"

    [url]http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126[/url]

    EXAMPLE: (VBCsript)
    Dim szConn, objConn, objRS, szSQL
    szConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source="
    szConn = szConn & server.mappath("/<pathtofile.mdb>")
    Set objConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConn.Open szConn
    szSQL = "SELECT Lname, Fname, MI, SSAN " _
    & " FROM Employees " _
    & " WHERE TermDate IS NULL "
    Set objRS = objConn.Execute szSQL

    At this point you have a recordset which contains the data
    requested from your table.

    HTH,
    John

    John Beschler Guest

  6. #6

    I've read the various Microsoft Knowledgebase white papers stressing the
    fact that Microsoft does not recommend running any Office application,
    including Access, in an automation mode. Risky and unstable, potential for
    crashing the Web server.

    One of my goals with the application I am working on is to allow the user to
    input some parameters, for example a begin date and an end date, and view a
    report using data from an Access MDB on screen, with an option to print the
    report. If I just connect to the Access tables using ADO this will provide
    the data, but are there reporting packages available that will display the
    data in reports as described above? I like the report designer in Access,
    but apparently this cannot be used unless Access is started under
    automation.

    Bill

    Bill Murphy Guest

  7. #7

    To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to use MS
    Access reports on the web.

    I must reiterate MS recommendations about using Office
    Automation on the server. The company that developed our
    IntraNet application used office automation extensively
    and it is a major PITA.

    In any case, I doubt you'll get much help implementing
    Office Automation from this newsgroup.

    If you need to do web reporting of your data, look at
    Crystal Reports. ([url]www.crystaldecisions.com[/url]) It supports
    most popular databases (including MS Access).

    HTH,
    John

    John Beschler Guest

  8. #8

    Crystal Reports is one, although I have never used it.

    I have built reports in Excel accessing data in an SQL Server database on a
    host server.
    Schools use this to acces and print out report cards and class lists.
    No problem doing this for an Access database.
    This is done completely outside the web site, all users must have Excel and
    you must distribute the application.
    This could probably also be done the same way with an Access application and
    the same conditions would apply (all users must have Access installed).

    That's one problem with Web pages. Report writing is a pain and the results
    look "Yucky" at best.

    news:3TbWa.132491$hV.8923957twister.austin.rr.com ...

    raydan Guest