Professional Web Applications Themes

Access -> MySQL Problem - MySQL

Hi, I have an Access database that I have converted to MySQL (with MySQL Migration Toolkit). I'm using this database through Java. The problem is this: migrated databases are available (through Java) ONLY on the PC where the migration has been done. I have tried migrated batabases on other PCs, but they aren't available by Java. Is there a solution? Thanks. Best Regards, Luigi Napolitano...

  1. #1

    Default Access -> MySQL Problem

    Hi,
    I have an Access database that I have converted to MySQL (with MySQL
    Migration Toolkit).

    I'm using this database through Java.

    The problem is this: migrated databases are available (through Java) ONLY on
    the PC where the migration has been done.
    I have tried migrated batabases on other PCs, but they aren't available by
    Java.

    Is there a solution?

    Thanks.
    Best Regards,
    Luigi Napolitano

    Luigi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Access -> MySQL Problem

    On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 13:02:13 +0100, Luigi Napolitano wrote:

    Where did you migrate the database TO? That's where the database is now,
    and that server is the one that the java application should be
    connecting to.

    --
    66. My security keypad will actually be a fingerprint scanner. Anyone who
    watches someone press a sequence of buttons or dusts the pad for

  3. #3

    Luigi Napolitano wrote:

    Luigi,

    Are the migrated databases the only ones not available, or are no
    databases available on other PC's?

    If none are available, MySQL networking may be disabled (the default in
    newer versions). You can check this by trying

    mysql -h hostname

    If it comes back with

    "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'hostname' (10060)",

    either networking isn't enabled or it's not running on the default port
    (3306). Another option is a firewall has this port blocked.

    You can also try telnetting to the host port 3306; if it connects you'll
    get garbage back.

    If you can connect, check permissions on the host. It's possible your
    user isn't set up to access the database (or possibly the server) from a
    remote host.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  4. #4

    "Jerry Stuckle" <net> ha scritto nel messaggio

    Thanks for reply.

    Only the migrated databases are not available.

    I have tried this command and the result is:
    ERROR 2005 (HY000): Unknown MySQL server host 'hostname' (11001).

    I have tried with telnet "o localhost 3006" and the result is:
    5.0.27-community-nt?5FARWB"#,?(?F!m(|X$J&!

    I don't know how to do.
    Thank you.

    Luigi

    Luigi Guest

  5. #5

    Luigi Napolitano wrote:

    > Only the migrated databases are not available.
    >[/ref]

    OK, that's interesting. What errors do you get?

    > I have tried this command and the result is:
    > ERROR 2005 (HY000): Unknown MySQL server host 'hostname' (11001).
    >
    >[/ref]

    It means the host you're requesting isn't known to the system you're
    executing the mysql command on. Either the hostname is incorrect, or
    you have a setup problem with TCP/IP.

    > I have tried with telnet "o localhost 3006" and the result is:
    > 5.0.27-community-nt?5FARWB"#,?(?F!m(|X$J&!

    But this isn't the server the database is on, is it? You need to telnet
    to the server the database is on.

    --
    ==================

  6. #6

    "Jerry Stuckle" <net> ha scritto nel messaggio

    Table 'name_database.name_table' doesn't exist.

    Sorry, I haven't written well...
    The result of "mysql -h localhost -u root -p" is...
    Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 5.0.27-community-nt

    mysql>

    So, it is right. But tables are unavailable...

    Thank you.
    Luigi

    Luigi Guest

  7. #7

    >Table 'name_database.name_table' doesn't exist.
    >
    >Sorry, I haven't written well...
    >The result of "mysql -h localhost -u root -p" is...[/ref]

    You failed to select a database. How about:
    mysql -h localhost -u root -p name_database
    or:
    use name_database;
    as your first command?

    Gordon Guest

  8. #8

    Luigi Napolitano wrote:

    > Table 'name_database.name_table' doesn't exist.
    >

    > Sorry, I haven't written well...
    > The result of "mysql -h localhost -u root -p" is...
    > Welcome to the MySQL monitor. Commands end with ; or \g.
    > Your MySQL connection id is 1 to server version: 5.0.27-community-nt
    >
    > Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
    >
    > mysql>
    >
    > So, it is right. But tables are unavailable...
    >
    > Thank you.
    > Luigi
    >
    >[/ref]

    But you indicated the databases are only available on the machine they
    were migrated on.

    You're trying to connect to the local machine. Is that the machine
    where you did the migration?

    --
    ==================

  9. #9

    "Jerry Stuckle" <net> ha scritto nel messaggio

    Yes.

    I have two PC, named "A" and "B" and a database (Access) named "datab" (with
    a table named "prog").
    I have migrated "datab" database from Access to MySQL on PC named "A".
    The "datab" database on PC named "A" is accessible.

    I have copied the folder named "datab" on PC named "B".
    On this PC, the "datab" database isn't accessible.
    I write: "use datab;" amd "show tables;" and it is all right.
    If I write "describe prog;" the result is...
    ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'datab.prog' doesn't exist

    But "prog" table exists!

    Thanks to everybody for attention.
    Luigi

    Luigi Guest

  10. #10

    Luigi Napolitano wrote:

    > Yes.
    >

    > I have two PC, named "A" and "B" and a database (Access) named "datab" (with
    > a table named "prog").
    > I have migrated "datab" database from Access to MySQL on PC named "A".
    > The "datab" database on PC named "A" is accessible.
    >
    > I have copied the folder named "datab" on PC named "B".
    > On this PC, the "datab" database isn't accessible.
    > I write: "use datab;" amd "show tables;" and it is all right.
    > If I write "describe prog;" the result is...
    > ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'datab.prog' doesn't exist
    >
    > But "prog" table exists!
    >
    > Thanks to everybody for attention.
    > Luigi
    >
    >[/ref]

    Of course not. You can't just copy a folder and expect the database to
    be available. There are all kinds of internal tables which need to be
    updated, also. As far as MySQL is concerned, the database does not
    exist because you never told MySQL it exists.

    You need to export the database from one system then export it into the
    other.

    --
    ==================

  11. #11

    Jerry Stuckle wrote:

    >> Yes.
    >>

    >> I have two PC, named "A" and "B" and a database (Access) named "datab"
    >> (with a table named "prog").
    >> I have migrated "datab" database from Access to MySQL on PC named "A".
    >> The "datab" database on PC named "A" is accessible.
    >>
    >> I have copied the folder named "datab" on PC named "B".
    >> On this PC, the "datab" database isn't accessible.
    >> I write: "use datab;" amd "show tables;" and it is all right.
    >> If I write "describe prog;" the result is...
    >> ERROR 1146 (42S02): Table 'datab.prog' doesn't exist
    >>
    >> But "prog" table exists!
    >>
    >> Thanks to everybody for attention.
    >> Luigi
    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Of course not. You can't just copy a folder and expect the database to
    > be available. There are all kinds of internal tables which need to be
    > updated, also. As far as MySQL is concerned, the database does not
    > exist because you never told MySQL it exists.
    >
    > You need to export the database from one system then export it into the
    > other.
    >

    >[/ref]

    The problem here appears to be the fact that he has a windows frame of
    reference. "Oh, I can just copy this over there and I can use it without doing
    anything".

    Which is one reason I really hate it when people use Weendoze to learn new
    technologies. They are still stuck with the wrong frame-of-reference.

    There are various methods for "ting" a database to a new server.
    tion, Backup/Restore, Export/Import to name a few...
    review the docs.

    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/tion.html
    you can then search for the others.

    --
    Michael Austin.
    Database Consultant

  12. #12

    "Michael Austin" <com> ha scritto nel messaggio

    Thank you, here I have found the solution.
    Best Regards.

    Luigi Guest