Professional Web Applications Themes

Access Tables without having a Server?? - MySQL

Hello, I have a Java-Application that works with a MYSQL Server on a central Computer through the MYSQL-jdbc driver. Now I have the problem that my Application should run on laptops that not have a connection to the central MYSQL-Server at all the time, so I have to store the data from the MYSQL-Tables on the laptops to use it offline. But how can I do that without installing the hole MYSQL-Server on the Laptops? When I make a dump of my tables to the laptops, is there a possibility to access the tables? Thank you for your help!! Regards, ...

  1. #1

    Default Access Tables without having a Server??

    Hello,

    I have a Java-Application that works with a MYSQL Server on a central
    Computer through the MYSQL-jdbc driver.
    Now I have the problem that my Application should run on laptops that
    not have a connection to the central MYSQL-Server at all the time, so I
    have to store the data from the MYSQL-Tables on the laptops to use it
    offline.
    But how can I do that without installing the hole MYSQL-Server on the
    Laptops? When I make a dump of my tables to the laptops, is there a
    possibility to access the tables?

    Thank you for your help!!

    Regards,
    Martin O.

    mo@ekontrol.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Access Tables without having a Server??

    [email]moekontrol.com[/email] wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Java-Application that works with a MYSQL Server on a central
    > Computer through the MYSQL-jdbc driver.
    > Now I have the problem that my Application should run on laptops that
    > not have a connection to the central MYSQL-Server at all the time, so I
    > have to store the data from the MYSQL-Tables on the laptops to use it
    > offline.
    > But how can I do that without installing the hole MYSQL-Server on the
    > Laptops? When I make a dump of my tables to the laptops, is there a
    > possibility to access the tables?
    >

    > Thank you for your help!!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Martin O.

    Martin,

    No, you can't just access the files. You need to install the server on
    the laptops.

    It' just like an Excel or Word doent - you can't work with those
    either unless you have the appropriate program (or their equivalent) on
    the system.

    --
    ==================
    Remove the "x" from my email address

  3. #3

    [email]moekontrol.com[/email] wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Java-Application that works with a MYSQL Server on a central
    > Computer through the MYSQL-jdbc driver.
    > Now I have the problem that my Application should run on laptops that
    > not have a connection to the central MYSQL-Server at all the time, so I
    > have to store the data from the MYSQL-Tables on the laptops to use it
    > offline.
    Sounds like you did your proof-of-concept without getting any details on usage
    in the real world.

    Since it's a Java app why are you not using HSQLdb? [url]http://www.hsqldb.org/[/url]

    Heck, I'm assuming Windows laptops. Are the laptops running Linux, FreeBSD,
    MacOSX-PPC, MacOSX-86, Windows 9*, Windows XP?

    It all comes down to using the right tool for the job.

    Sometimes MySQL is the best, sometimes it's <gasp> not.

    --
    Walter
    Walter Vaughan Guest

  4. #4

    Hello Walter,

    I hear from HSQLdb the first time. I will look the Site. Tahnk you.

    On the Laptops is Running Win2000 or WinXP.

    Regards,
    Martin

    mo@ekontrol.com Guest

  5. #5

    In article <uZadnS-di5TLjWLenZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2dctc.net>,
    Walter Vaughan <wvaughansteelerubber.com> wrote:
    >moekontrol.com wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a Java-Application that works with a MYSQL Server on a central
    >> Computer through the MYSQL-jdbc driver.
    >> Now I have the problem that my Application should run on laptops that
    >> not have a connection to the central MYSQL-Server at all the time, so I
    >> have to store the data from the MYSQL-Tables on the laptops to use it
    >> offline.
    >
    >Sounds like you did your proof-of-concept without getting any details on usage
    >in the real world.
    >
    >Since it's a Java app why are you not using HSQLdb? [url]http://www.hsqldb.org/[/url]

    Is there any cookbook way to migrate a hsqldb DB scheme and data to MySQL?

    --
    a d y k e s p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.
    Al Dykes Guest

  6. #6

    Al Dykes wrote:
    > Is there any cookbook way to migrate a hsqldb DB scheme and data to MySQL?
    I have not done this, but this might be a start
    [url]http://www.hsqldb.org/doc/guide/apg.html[/url]

    So you can sync up using JDBC from your local machine running HSQL to a central
    server running MySQL.

    An extra side bonus might be if they are running OpenOffice 2.0 instead of
    MSOffice you can offer full integration with spreadsheets/doents/reports locally.

    Sounds like an interesting project.

    --
    Walter
    Walter Vaughan Guest