Professional Web Applications Themes

Access to Shared folders - Windows Networking

Hi, I'm using xp professional and I have disabled simple file sharing. I am on a network at my home (simple, just a workgroup network) I've been told that if I try to connect to a shared folder on the xp pro machine from another machine running win 2000 or win xp and the credentials don't match, a user name/ password prompt will be opened so a user on the 2000/xp machine can enter the information for a user on the xp pro machine. This would be useful as I don't want to create a user account on my xp ...

  1. #1

    Default Access to Shared folders

    Hi,
    I'm using xp professional and I have disabled simple
    file sharing. I am on a network at my home (simple, just a
    workgroup network) I've been told that if I try to connect
    to a shared folder on the xp pro machine from another
    machine running win 2000 or win xp and the credentials
    don't match, a user name/ password prompt will be opened
    so a user on the 2000/xp machine can enter the information
    for a user on the xp pro machine. This would be useful as
    I don't want to create a user account on my xp pro machine
    for every person that will be connecting to a shared
    resource. Here's an example situation and the problem:
    I create a shared folder "C:/shared" on my xp pro
    machine and give the user "Administrator" full access, but
    no one else. Now I am logged on as "Owner". I go to "run"
    and type "\\<my computer name>" I then see all of the
    shared folders on my computer, including "shared". Now I
    believe that when I attempt to open "shared" it will find
    that I don't have the correct credentials and should
    prompt me for a new username and password (PLEASE CORRECT
    ME IF I AM WRONG!!) but instead I get an "access is
    denied" error. Is there a setting I need to change, or is
    everything working correctly?
    Eric Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Access to Shared folders

    the behavior you are seeing based on your configuration is correct ( nobody
    else except administartor will be able to access the share)
    you can configure you scenario using the steps on this article:

    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040[/url]
    --

    This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and confers NO rights
    "Eric" <erlloydwisc.edu> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I'm using xp professional and I have disabled simple
    > file sharing. I am on a network at my home (simple, just a
    > workgroup network) I've been told that if I try to connect
    > to a shared folder on the xp pro machine from another
    > machine running win 2000 or win xp and the credentials
    > don't match, a user name/ password prompt will be opened
    > so a user on the 2000/xp machine can enter the information
    > for a user on the xp pro machine. This would be useful as
    > I don't want to create a user account on my xp pro machine
    > for every person that will be connecting to a shared
    > resource. Here's an example situation and the problem:
    > I create a shared folder "C:/shared" on my xp pro
    > machine and give the user "Administrator" full access, but
    > no one else. Now I am logged on as "Owner". I go to "run"
    > and type "\\<my computer name>" I then see all of the
    > shared folders on my computer, including "shared". Now I
    > believe that when I attempt to open "shared" it will find
    > that I don't have the correct credentials and should
    > prompt me for a new username and password (PLEASE CORRECT
    > ME IF I AM WRONG!!) but instead I get an "access is
    > denied" error. Is there a setting I need to change, or is
    > everything working correctly?

    Wajihy [MSFT] Guest