Professional Web Applications Themes

Accessing data from an MS Access database on a remote web server - ASP Database

Please forgive me if I have posted this to the wrong group! I have written a VB6 application that works fine. With that said, I would like to add the functionality of making the application send the Registered User ID and Serial Number to my web site and verify from an MS Access database that the software is registered. It seems simple and it works fine with a local database but I can't seem to get it to work on a remote database. I need to get this working on MS Access (SQL Server is easy but not an option ...

  1. #1

    Default Accessing data from an MS Access database on a remote web server

    Please forgive me if I have posted this to the wrong group! I have written a VB6 application that works fine. With that said, I would like to add the functionality of making the application send the Registered User ID and Serial Number to my web site and verify from an MS Access database that the software is registered. It seems simple and it works fine with a local database but I can't seem to get it to work on a remote database. I need to get this working on MS Access (SQL Server is easy but not an option at this time). VB .NET or ASP .NET are options on the client side only! My host does not support them. I've been scouring the net for a week now and I am still at a loss. It seems that everything I try generates a "3709" error.

    Thanks,
    Tom
    Tom Guest

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Please forgive the MULTIPLE posts. I did NOT do that on purpose. I kept getting a message stating that my message did not go through. Sorry!

    "Tom" wrote:
    > Please forgive me if I have posted this to the wrong group! I have written a VB6 application that works fine. With that said, I would like to add the functionality of making the application send the Registered User ID and Serial Number to my web site and verify from an MS Access database that the software is registered. It seems simple and it works fine with a local database but I can't seem to get it to work on a remote database. I need to get this working on MS Access (SQL Server is easy but not an option at this time). VB .NET or ASP .NET are options on the client side only! My host does not support them. I've been scouring the net for a week now and I am still at a loss. It seems that everything I try generates a "3709" error.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Tom
    Tom Guest

  10. #10

    Tom wrote:
    > Please forgive me if I have posted this to the wrong group! I have
    > written a VB6 application that works fine. With that said, I would
    > like to add the functionality of making the application send the
    > Registered User ID and Serial Number to my web site and verify from
    > an MS Access database that the software is registered. It seems
    > simple and it works fine with a local database but I can't seem to
    > get it to work on a remote database. I need to get this working on
    > MS Access (SQL Server is easy but not an option at this time). VB
    > .NET or ASP .NET are options on the client side only! My host does
    > not support them. I've been scouring the net for a week now and I am
    > still at a loss. It seems that everything I try generates a "3709"
    > error.
    We don't have all the error numbers memorized. You need to tell us the text
    of the message as well as the number, especially since some error numbers
    can apply to multiple errors.

    3709 does not sound like an ADO error code. Are you using ADO? Or are you
    using DAO?

    I don't understand how you can expect anyone to debug your code without
    seeing it. At least show us your connection string.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re: Accessing data from an MS Access database on a remote web serv

    Sorry,

    The exact error text is:

    Run-time error'3709':
    The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or invalid in this context.

    Thanks

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    > Tom wrote:
    > > Please forgive me if I have posted this to the wrong group! I have
    > > written a VB6 application that works fine. With that said, I would
    > > like to add the functionality of making the application send the
    > > Registered User ID and Serial Number to my web site and verify from
    > > an MS Access database that the software is registered. It seems
    > > simple and it works fine with a local database but I can't seem to
    > > get it to work on a remote database. I need to get this working on
    > > MS Access (SQL Server is easy but not an option at this time). VB
    > > .NET or ASP .NET are options on the client side only! My host does
    > > not support them. I've been scouring the net for a week now and I am
    > > still at a loss. It seems that everything I try generates a "3709"
    > > error.
    >
    > We don't have all the error numbers memorized. You need to tell us the text
    > of the message as well as the number, especially since some error numbers
    > can apply to multiple errors.
    >
    > 3709 does not sound like an ADO error code. Are you using ADO? Or are you
    > using DAO?
    >
    > I don't understand how you can expect anyone to debug your code without
    > seeing it. At least show us your connection string.
    >

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"

    Tom Guest

  12. #12

    I still need to see the lines of code that cause this error.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  13. #13

    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

    rs.Open "http://www.domain.com/check/test.asp"
    'Do While Not rs.EOF
    ' Response.write rs(1) & vbCrLf
    ' rs.MoveNext
    'Loop

    where test.asp is an asp page on the web server. If I go directly to [url]http://www.domain.com/check/test.asp[/url] the page loads fine and displays the information properly.

    Thanks

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    > I still need to see the lines of code that cause this error.
    >
    > Bob Barrows
    > Tom wrote:
    > > Sorry,
    > >
    > > The exact error text is:
    > >
    > > Run-time error'3709':
    > > The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is
    > > either closed or invalid in this context.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > >> We don't have all the error numbers memorized. You need to tell us
    > >> the text
    > >> of the message as well as the number, especially since some error
    > >> numbers
    > >> can apply to multiple errors.
    > >>
    > >> 3709 does not sound like an ADO error code. Are you using ADO? Or
    > >> are you
    > >> using DAO?
    > >>
    > >> I don't understand how you can expect anyone to debug your code
    > >> without
    > >> seeing it. At least show us your connection string.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > >> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so
    > >> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove
    > >> the "NO SPAM"
    >
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    > "NO SPAM"

    Tom Guest

  14. #14

    Tom,
    You can't use an asp page as the source for a recordset. What made you think
    you could?

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"

    Bob Barrows [MVP] Guest

  15. #15

    Many examples on google! If that won't work what is the best way to achieve my goal?

    Tom Guest

  16. #16

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 14:12:01 -0700, Tom
    <Tomdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Many examples on google! If that won't work what is the best way to achieve my goal?
    Start here:

    [url]http://www.asp-help.com/database/db_tutorial1.asp[/url]

    Jeff

    >"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> Tom,
    >> You can't use an asp page as the source for a recordset. What made you think
    >> you could?
    >>
    >> Tom wrote:
    >> > Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
    >> >

    >> > rs.Open "http://www.domain.com/check/test.asp"
    >> > 'Do While Not rs.EOF
    >> > ' Response.write rs(1) & vbCrLf
    >> > ' rs.MoveNext
    >> > 'Loop
    >> >
    >> > where test.asp is an asp page on the web server. If I go directly to
    >> > [url]http://www.domain.com/check/test.asp[/url] the page loads fine and displays
    >> > the information properly.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    >> --
    >> Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup. This email account is my spam trap so I
    >> don't check it very often. If you must reply off-line, then remove the
    >> "NO SPAM"

    Jeff Cochran Guest

  17. #17

    Jeff,

    Thank you for the effort but I am apparently not communicating my problem correctly. I am in thoroughly aware of how to create, access, manipulate, ... an ASP connection to a LOCAL database. My problem is that I have to read data from an MS Access database located on a remote web server. Any suggestions, comments, examples would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    Tom Guest

  18. #18

    "Tom" <Tomdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for the effort but I am apparently not communicating my problem
    correctly. I am in thoroughly aware of how to create, access, manipulate,
    .... an ASP connection to a LOCAL database. My problem is that I have to
    read data from an MS Access database located on a remote web server. Any
    suggestions, comments, examples would be appreciated.

    Seems to me that your VB6 application could simply launch a URL to your own
    local server which in turn provides you with the information you want. The
    VB6 application would be running on your client/customers computer, and must
    have an internet connection. Within that VB6 application you would have to
    gather the license/registration information you want, then there would have
    to be an application launching command that would perform ...

    [url]http://www.yourdomain.com/yourASP.asp[/url]

    .... which would update your database.

    HTH,
    PW

    PW Guest

  19. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tom Guest
    Moderated Post

  20. #20

    Sorry for not responding sooner: I was away from the computer yesterday
    (real life sometimes does intrude ;-) )

    OK, I have to somewhat retract my statement. You CAN open a recordset on an
    asp page, but ONLY if the asp page is designed to return results in the form
    of XML. An asp page that simply writes html to the Response (which your
    statement about browsing to the url and seeing the correct results in the
    browser made me believe you were attempting) will be meaningless to an ADO
    recordset object. Here is an example of how to do what you want:

    [url]http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/Recordset_URL.htm#AdoUrlConnection[/url]

    Does this help?

    Some other options are listed on on Carl's site on this page:
    [url]http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#OLEDBProviderForMicrosoftJet[/url]

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET