Professional Web Applications Themes

Accessing second Hard disk with SCO Data in Linux - SCO

I have a linux 9.0 server.I connected a SCSI HDD from my earlier SCO Openserver system to this system as a second hard disk.The original disk on linux is with 68 pin cable and the SCO disk is with 50 pins.The second hard disk is not visible.I used MAKEDEV to create a sdb node in dev directory and tried mounting this dev on mnt to check access to the second hard disk but ls command returns an error saying this is not a block device. The SCO HDD has only one partition with user data.What is the correct method to ...

  1. #1

    Default Accessing second Hard disk with SCO Data in Linux

    I have a linux 9.0 server.I connected a SCSI HDD from my earlier SCO
    Openserver system to this system as a second hard disk.The original
    disk on linux is with 68 pin cable and the SCO disk is with 50
    pins.The second hard disk is not visible.I used MAKEDEV to create a
    sdb node in dev directory and tried mounting this dev on mnt to check
    access to the second hard disk but ls command returns an error saying
    this is not a block device.
    The SCO HDD has only one partition with user data.What is the correct
    method to access it in linux?
    regards
    Venu
    P.Venugopal Guest

  2. #2

    com (P.Venugopal) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    what do you mean one partition?

    is it one fdisk partition where you made the fs yourself manually
    using mkfs after aborting out of mkdev hd only letting mkdev hd run
    long enough to create the /dev nodes for you?

    or is it one fs on the whole raw drive where you ran mkfs yourself on
    the whole-drive device (like you would do on a floppy)

    or is it the far more likely case where the filesystem was created by
    running mkdev hd all the way through? In this last case, you cannot
    (easily) read that filesystem under linux beause linux does not know
    how to read divvy partitions (up to 7 sub-partitions within a single
    fdisk primary partition)

    If you happen to have some more raw unassigned disk space, you *might*
    be able to figure out where the fs actually starts & stops and use dd
    to extract it to another empty raw fdisk primary partition. I've never
    done that but it sound plausible :)

    The ways to get sco data to linux is:
    1) boot sco and use networking
    or
    2) boot sco and write a cpio or tar to a tape or to a raw whole disk
    or whole primary fdisk partition
    or
    3) boot sco and install a extra hd and and only run mkdev hd up to
    the point where on the second invocation it runs fdisk. in fdisk, make
    note of the whole disk device (/dev/sdsk/2s0 etc...) and create a
    primary fdisk partition, then quit out of divvy without writing and
    divvy table, then run mkfs on the new whole-disk or whole partition
    device, mount the new filesystem and copy data to it. then you can
    read that data in linux. oh, and I've personally only ever sucessfully
    read a _xenix_ filesystem under linux this way. i've done it a few
    times, including using osr5 to create the xenix fs by specifying an
    option to mkfs, but xenix fs is not a very complete unix fs (short
    filenames, no symlinks, maybe other limitations). This question has
    been raised lots of times, but no one has ever come back and said that
    they tried to do this with HTFS (osr5 default filesystem) and the need
    hasn't come up for myself (I find options 1 and 2 a lot more
    practical, faster, easier, simpler)
    Presumably another fs type that sco can write that linux can read is
    iso9660 (cd rom filesystem), and of course, you could also create a
    fat32 filesystem in windows or linux and sco could write to it and
    then linux could read it.

    And when dealing with fdisk partitions, be aware that sco fdisk
    numbers them exactly backwards from the way dos & linux do. If you
    create a primary fdisk partition #2 in dos or linux, that partition is
    #3 in sco's fdisk. Not being aware of that or not being observant
    enough to spot it when it happens, is a good way to blast away a
    partition full of an os when you thought you were going to write to an
    empty partition in the other os.
    Brian Guest

  3. #3

    com (Brian K. White) wrote in message news:<google.com>...
    > > method to access it in linux?[/ref]
    >
    > what do you mean one partition?
    >[/ref]

    This HDD was connected as a second disk on SCO System and only one
    partition was created on it using fdisk.Now I would like to load this
    data on the new Linux server.

    Venu
    P.Venugopal Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Stuart J. Browne wrote:

    > news:<google.com>... [/ref]
    > news:<google.com>... [/ref]
    > correct
    > >
    > > This HDD was connected as a second disk on SCO System and only one
    > > partition was created on it using fdisk.Now I would like to load this
    > > data on the new Linux server.
    > >
    > > Venu[/ref]
    >
    > There aren't any widely avaialble Linux based tools which understand DIVVY
    > tables and HTFS that I've been able to find. I once found references to
    > some commercial products, but they went awol.
    >
    > If the old system is still working, using either a tape, or serial/network
    > connection is the best way to transfer data.[/ref]

    I you have an old SCO system put the HD back on it and use scp to copy
    everything over a network to the new systems. This is faster than tap or
    a serial network.
    Boyd Guest

  5. #5

    On 2 Nov 2003 21:58:38 -0800, com (P.Venugopal) wrote:

    A common problem. You must simply take a stanley knife and cut the
    tracks on your mother board to leave on 50 (any 50 will do) connected
    to the HDD connector socket. This may sound like a radical hardware
    reconfiguration, but it works!!!

    Maybe it's just shy?

    Gasp! Really?!

    as root, type "dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda" - it may take a while to
    finish, so go make a nice cup of tea while it works its magic!!

    Good luck; I really mean that!

    Love,
    FyRE
    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  6. #6

    "P.Venugopal" <com> wrote in message
    news:<google.com>... [/ref]
    news:<google.com>... [/ref][/ref]
    correct

    > > what do you mean one partition?
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > This HDD was connected as a second disk on SCO System and only one
    > partition was created on it using fdisk.Now I would like to load this
    > data on the new Linux server.
    >
    > Venu[/ref]

    There aren't any widely avaialble Linux based tools which understand DIVVY
    tables and HTFS that I've been able to find. I once found references to
    some commercial products, but they went awol.

    If the old system is still working, using either a tape, or serial/network
    connection is the best way to transfer data.

    bkx

    Stuart Guest

  7. #7

    FyRE wrote:

    > A common problem. You must simply take a stanley knife and cut the
    > tracks on your mother board to leave on 50 (any 50 will do) connected
    > to the HDD connector socket. This may sound like a radical hardware
    > reconfiguration, but it works!!!

    > Maybe it's just shy?

    > Gasp! Really?!

    > as root, type "dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/hda" - it may take a while to
    > finish, so go make a nice cup of tea while it works its magic!!
    >
    > Good luck; I really mean that!
    >
    > Love,
    > FyRE
    > --
    > FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >[/ref]

    Do you also wander around shooting people whose clothing you dislike?

    Why do you attack someone who is migrating _away_ from the platform you
    hate?

    Bela Guest

  8. #8

    On 2 Nov 2003 21:58:38 -0800, com (P.Venugopal) wrote:

    The 68 pin connector is either a SCSI II SCA (single connector
    arrangement) connector (16bit) or an LVD (low voltage differential)
    connector. You need to disclose the drive make and model to be sure.
    Might was well disclose the SCSI adapter make and model.

    The 50 pin connector is either a 2x25 pin header (SCSI-1) or a 50 pin
    SCA connector. Hard to tell without the make and model.

    Numerous companies make adapters. However, the adapters between the
    various LVD/non-LVD technologies are NOT interchangeable.
    http://www.transintl.com/technotes/sca/c_68to50nonlvd.htm
    http://www.transintl.com/technotes/sca/c_68to50lvd.htm
    The major difference are the number and type of terminators for the
    unused pins.

    You will also have some serious complications in dealing with mixed
    drive types on a single cable bus. I suggest you avoid this
    derrangement at all cost. Find a SCSI adapter that has two ports
    (Adapter 2940 series), and attach each drive to it's own port. Pay
    attention to terminator enable/disable and terminator power settings.

    Get a proper adapter or different SCSI adapter.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    (831)421-6491 pgr (831)336-2558 home

  9. #9

    "Bela Lubkin" <com> wrote in message

    > Do you also wander around shooting people whose clothing you dislike?
    >
    > Why do you attack someone who is migrating _away_ from the platform you
    > hate?
    > [/ref]

    Considering his signature line, you really don't need to ask that question.
    He enjoys being offensive.

    Ron

    Ronald Guest