Professional Web Applications Themes

Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely - FreeBSD

Hello dudes, I have this big curse that I have to access the office computer from home. The office PC runs WinXP Home, not Professional. I have turned the Internet upside-down trying to get an app that will enable me access the goddamn XP desktop, using something like krdesktop, from home. Something that can run on the Windows XP and provide me access to it's desktop from a FreeBSD box running KDE. I am sure there is something, but I just can't find it!! All pointers will be appreciated. -Wash http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html -- +================================================= =====================+ |\ _,,,---,,_ | Odhiambo Washington <com> ...

  1. #1

    Default Accessing Windows XP Desktop (Home Edition) remotely

    Hello dudes,

    I have this big curse that I have to access the office computer from
    home. The office PC runs WinXP Home, not Professional.
    I have turned the Internet upside-down trying to get an app that will
    enable me access the goddamn XP desktop, using something like krdesktop,
    from home. Something that can run on the Windows XP and provide me
    access to it's desktop from a FreeBSD box running KDE.

    I am sure there is something, but I just can't find it!!

    All pointers will be appreciated.

    -Wash

    +================================================= =====================+
    |\ _,,,---,,_ | Odhiambo Washington <com>
    Zzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd. www.wananchi.com
    |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9 +254 20 313922
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_) | GSM: +254 722 743223 +254 733 744121
    +================================================= =====================+
    I call them as I see them. If I can't see them, I make them up.
    -- Biff Barf
    Odhiambo Guest

  2. #2

    On March 22, 2005 10:54 am, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

    i'd suggest vnc:
    http://www.realvnc.com/
    http://www.tightvnc.com/

    you use realvnc to install the server, then tightvnc to connect (i find it's
    faster than the normal vnc client. then to connect all you need is X running
    and:

    $ vncviewer <ipaddress>

    security note:
    vnc is *not* encrypted and is not generally considered secure. any ports you
    open/forward should be directed to your ip only. even better, try a knocking
    daemon.

    --
    i hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
    corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of

  3. #3

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:54:38 +0300, Odhiambo Washington
    <com> wrote:

    I assume you have allowed (on the XP box) remote desktop connections
    (system properties) and the XP firewall is turned off.

    I've used rdesktop with win2000 systems just fine, so I'm guessing
    it's a setting on the XP box.

    If you can't get that to work, you can always try VNC.

    GS
    Gary Guest

  4. #4

    VNC works very well for me, good suggestion!

    --Nick

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:02:48 -0500, daniel <org> wrote:

    > i'd suggest vnc:
    > http://www.realvnc.com/
    > http://www.tightvnc.com/
    >
    > you use realvnc to install the server, then tightvnc to connect (i find it's
    > faster than the normal vnc client. then to connect all you need is X running
    > and:
    >
    > $ vncviewer <ipaddress>
    >
    > security note:
    > vnc is *not* encrypted and is not generally considered secure. any ports you
    > open/forward should be directed to your ip only. even better, try a knocking
    > daemon.
    >
    > --
    > i hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied
    > corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of
    > strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
    > - thomas Jefferson, 1816
    Nick Guest

  5. #5

    On Tuesday 22 March 2005 10:02 am, daniel wrote:

    > i'd suggest vnc:
    > http://www.realvnc.com/
    > http://www.tightvnc.com/
    >
    > you use realvnc to install the server, then tightvnc to connect (i
    > find it's faster than the normal vnc client. then to connect all you
    > need is X running and:
    >
    > $ vncviewer <ipaddress>
    >
    > security note:
    > vnc is *not* encrypted and is not generally considered secure. any
    > ports you open/forward should be directed to your ip only. even
    > better, try a knocking daemon.[/ref]

    One of the advantages of running the tightvnc server is that it also
    runs a java web server so that you can access the tightvnc server from
    an internet browser without the use of a tightvnc client. The port
    number equals 5800 plus the windown number. For example, to access
    window 1 at 192.168.0.2, to go:

    http://192.168.0.2:5801

    Caveat: I've only tested this from Win2K to FreeBSD, not the other way
    around.

    Best of luck,

    Andrew Gould
    Andrew Guest

  6. #6

    * Gary Smithe <com> [20050322 19:08]: wrote:

    > I assume you have allowed (on the XP box) remote desktop connections
    > (system properties) and the XP firewall is turned off.[/ref]

    XP Home edition does not have Remote Desktop. XP Pro has. I am running
    the former.

    -Wash

    +================================================= =====================+
    |\ _,,,---,,_ | Odhiambo Washington <com>
    Zzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd. www.wananchi.com
    |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9 +254 20 313922
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_) | GSM: +254 722 743223 +254 733 744121
    +================================================= =====================+
    YOW!! Everybody out of the GENETIC POOL!
    Odhiambo Guest

  7. #7

    > XP Home edition does not have Remote Desktop. XP Pro has. I am running
    oops. missed the "home" part in the original post. sorry. Go with
    VNC. I'm not sure how it works cross-platform, but ultravnc has a
    file transfer option where it can send files over the vnc ports.

    GS
    Gary Guest

  8. #8

    If you ask the wrong questions, you get answers like "42" and "God".

    Christopher Guest

  9. #9

    > oops. missed the "home" part in the original post. sorry. Go with
    > VNC. I'm not sure how it works cross-platform, but ultravnc has a
    > file transfer option where it can send files over the vnc ports.[/ref]

    Works like a charm. I use RealVNC all the time. Both ways. I've even used
    it through SSH port forwarding.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  10. #10

    On Tuesday 22 March 2005 02:18 pm, Christopher Nehren wrote:

    > This is why you set up an SSH tunnel between the two machines. The
    > Handbook (as always) shows how to do this, with examples.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Christopher Nehren[/ref]

    To forward a VNC session through SSH, the user will need to install a
    SSH application on the Windows computer. PuTTY is a free example, and
    is available at:

    Andrew Gould
    Andrew Guest

  11. #11

    >> This is why you set up an SSH tunnel between the two machines. The
    >> Handbook (as always) shows how to do this, with examples.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Christopher Nehren[/ref]
    >
    > To forward a VNC session through SSH, the user will need to install a
    > SSH application on the Windows computer. PuTTY is a free example, and
    > is available at:
    >
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/[/ref]

    AFAIK Putty is a client only. The original user wanted to access his WinXP
    Home system from FreeBSD. So, Putty isn't going to do it. I think there is
    an OpenSSH implementation (both client and server) for Win32 that runs on
    XP. I know the cygwin implementation works (but the original poster may
    not want that much added to the XP system).

    http://www.cygwin.com/ and http://www.openssh.org/

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  12. #12

    On Tuesday 22 March 2005 03:26 pm, Ean Kingston wrote:

    > > To forward a VNC session through SSH, the user will need to install
    > > a SSH application on the Windows computer. PuTTY is a free
    > > example, and is available at:
    > >
    > > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/[/ref]
    >
    > AFAIK Putty is a client only. The original user wanted to access his
    > WinXP Home system from FreeBSD. So, Putty isn't going to do it. I
    > think there is an OpenSSH implementation (both client and server) for
    > Win32 that runs on XP. I know the cygwin implementation works (but
    > the original poster may not want that much added to the XP system).
    >
    > http://www.cygwin.com/ and http://www.openssh.org/[/ref]

    You're right -- good catch.

    Thanks,

    Andrew
    Andrew Guest

  13. #13

    Since you mention mail etiquette,

    1. If you have an issue with mail format, reply privately. Yes, I'm
    violating this rule here, but only as a followup.

    2. Please don't "bottom post". It's just as irritating as "top
    posting". Please trim messages to the minimum length that
    maintains the context. If you're referring to the message as a
    whole rather than its content, it's appropriate to put the
    comments at the top.

    3. Please also don't mangle messages. Your quoting algorithm makes
    spurious short lines with incorrect quotation levels:

    >> it's
    >> running [/ref][/ref]

    You can read more about these and other topics at
    http://www.lemis.com/email/email-format.html. They will also explain
    why you have made a poor choice of MUA.

    Greg

    On Tuesday, 22 March 2005 at 21:47:37 +0530, Subhro wrote:
    >> krdesktop,
    >> it's
    >> running
    >> ports you
    >> knocking
    >> of
    >> org"
    >> org"[/ref]
    >

    > Please do not Top Post. Its kinda irritating. :-(
    >
    > Indian Institute of Information Technology
    > Subhro Sankha Kar
    > Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
    > Salt Lake City
    > PIN 700091
    > India[/ref]

    Greg Guest

  14. #14

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:26:54 -0500 (EST), "Ean Kingston"
    <org> wrote:

    > > To forward a VNC session through SSH, the user will need to install a
    > > SSH application on the Windows computer. PuTTY is a free example, and
    > > is available at:
    > >
    > > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/[/ref]
    >
    > AFAIK Putty is a client only. The original user wanted to access his WinXP
    > Home system from FreeBSD. So, Putty isn't going to do it. I think there is
    > an OpenSSH implementation (both client and server) for Win32 that runs on
    > XP. I know the cygwin implementation works (but the original poster may
    > not want that much added to the XP system).
    >
    > http://www.cygwin.com/ and http://www.openssh.org/[/ref]

    I have successfully used the Win32 OpenSSH installer available via
    http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ to provide a SSH server on a remote
    Windows 2000 Professional system. That OpenSSH package can be installed
    via an installer to provide OpenSSH using a minimal requisite cygwin
    environment. The OpenSSH server can be run as a Windows service.

    Like the original poster, I wanted a way of using a Windows system
    remotely from FreeBSD. In my case, it was so I could remotely admin and
    troubleshoot a friend's Windows 2000 PC. As well as using the OpenSSH
    for Windows mentioned above, I used TightVNC (http://www.tightvnc.com/)
    for the VNC server on Windows and for the client on FreeBSD (installed
    via the net/tightvnc port). I restrict the VNC server to accept
    connections only from localhost, and use an SSH tunnel to encrypt all
    the VNC traffic between the two systems. (I can even start and stop the
    VNC server service remotely by issuing a "net start winvnc" and "net
    stop winvnc" via SSH to start and stop it, respectively.)

    I've found the setup to work well in practice.

    Cheers,

    Paul.
    --
    e-mail: dlib.vt.edu