Professional Web Applications Themes

Accidently uninstalled KDE - Debian

Used apt-get to install a couple of packages the other day, and somehow uninstalled KDE (should've known when the installer asked if I wanted to stop the KDE daemon :). If I apt-get install kde or kde-core or kdebase, it eventually states I need kdelibs, kdelibs-data kdelibs4, all of which I've tried to install. In short, I'm kinda in a dependancy hell. Can I just can all of KDE and start with a fresh install? -- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [email]debian-user-requestlists.debian.org[/email] with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [email]listmasterlists.debian.org[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default Accidently uninstalled KDE

    Used apt-get to install a couple of packages the other day, and somehow
    uninstalled KDE (should've known when the installer asked if I wanted to
    stop the KDE daemon :).

    If I apt-get install kde or kde-core or kdebase, it eventually states I
    need kdelibs, kdelibs-data kdelibs4, all of which I've tried to install.
    In short, I'm kinda in a dependancy hell.

    Can I just can all of KDE and start with a fresh install?

    Brian Gonzales Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Accidently uninstalled KDE

    Le Samedi 12 Juillet 2003 18:15, Brian Gonzales a déclamé :
    > Used apt-get to install a couple of packages the other day, and somehow
    > uninstalled KDE
    I know this problem :-) I suppose this is KDE3.
    The second time, I was fed up with this dependency problem, and each time
    I use dselect, I make a backup of /var/lib/dpkg/status to make a rollback
    if I forget to type Ctrl-X when dselect suggests to get rid of half of
    the system (dselect is not very good for a mix of woody, sarge and
    sid...)

    cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /mnt/bak/sys/status.`date +%F-%X`
    > Can I just can all of KDE and start with a fresh install?
    If I suppose you want KDE3 from Sid, you can force apt to install
    everything by taking its dependencies in Sid too :
    apt-get install -t unstable kde/unstable (same for other packages)

    But I suppose it will ask you to remove the package which was the cause
    of the problem.

    My 0.02 ¤...

    --
    Christophe Courtois - Ostwald, Alsace, France
    [url]http://www.courtois.cc/[/url] - Clé PGP : 0F33E837
    Christophe Courtois Guest

  3. #3

    On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:15:08AM -0600, Brian Gonzales wrote:
    > Used apt-get to install a couple of packages the other day, and somehow
    > uninstalled KDE (should've known when the installer asked if I wanted to
    > stop the KDE daemon :).
    >
    > If I apt-get install kde or kde-core or kdebase, it eventually states I
    > need kdelibs, kdelibs-data kdelibs4, all of which I've tried to install.
    > In short, I'm kinda in a dependancy hell.
    >
    > Can I just can all of KDE and start with a fresh install?
    Sid KDE3? Take a look at [url]http://wiki.debian.net/index.cgi?DebianKDE[/url].

    Probably, KDE is uninstallable on your system. The wiki tells you how to
    install it now.

    HTH, David

    David Fokkema Guest

  4. #4

    Paul Johnson Guest

  5. #5

    > > Can I just can all of KDE and start with a fresh install?
    >
    > Yeah, that can work.

    Well, my question didn't come out as I expected. Is there a command to
    completely remove *only* KDE, then, do a fresh KDE install.

    Brian Gonzales Guest

  6. #6

    On Sunday 13 July 2003 14:20, Brian Gonzales wrote:
    > > > Can I just can all of KDE and start with a fresh install?
    > >
    > > Yeah, that can work.
    >
    > Well, my question didn't come out as I expected. Is there a command to
    > completely remove *only* KDE, then, do a fresh KDE install.
    It depends on which release of KDE you are removing, but just about
    everything depends on kdelibs, so find out (from /var/cache/apt/archives)
    which kdelibs is installed, and remove it, and everything that depends on it
    (which will be KDE plus any KDE apps) will go. Then you can reinstall.

    David

    David Goodenough Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 07:25:19PM +0200, Christophe Courtois wrote:
    > I know this problem :-) I suppose this is KDE3.
    > The second time, I was fed up with this dependency problem, and each time
    > I use dselect, I make a backup of /var/lib/dpkg/status to make a rollback
    > if I forget to type Ctrl-X when dselect suggests to get rid of half of
    > the system (dselect is not very good for a mix of woody, sarge and
    > sid...)
    >
    > cp /var/lib/dpkg/status /mnt/bak/sys/status.`date +%F-%X`
    Wow! Sure looks like a lot of work to manage dependencies. Have you
    tried aptitude? I have been using it for about a year. The curses-based
    frontend is quite user friendly, and you can actually preview the
    changes before they go into effect.

    -Andy

    Andy Saxena Guest