Professional Web Applications Themes

Accurate PMS output on Epson 1290? Mac OSX.3.3 - Macromedia Freehand

Hello everyone.. I've been having colour problems with getting accurate PMS colours out of the Epson 1290 and freehand 11/illustrator v10 Does anyone out there get a relatively accurate output with either Freehand or illustrator? If so how have/what have you done to get it to work?... We're running a G4 1Ghz Dualie, 2GbRam and OSX.3.3 This is really driving me crazy... I've got one idea up my sleeve but I'll keep it as a last resort. If anyone can help me out I would extremely grateful. Regards Piers...

  1. #1

    Default Accurate PMS output on Epson 1290? Mac OSX.3.3

    Hello everyone..
    I've been having colour problems with getting accurate PMS colours out
    of the Epson 1290 and freehand 11/illustrator v10

    Does anyone out there get a relatively accurate output with either
    Freehand or illustrator?

    If so how have/what have you done to get it to work?...

    We're running a G4 1Ghz Dualie, 2GbRam and OSX.3.3

    This is really driving me crazy... I've got one idea up my sleeve but
    I'll keep it as a last resort.

    If anyone can help me out I would extremely grateful.

    Regards
    Piers
    Piers Le Sueur Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Accurate PMS output on Epson 1290? Mac OSX.3.3

    Piers,

    Assuming that you are not talking about Pantone Process colors, which are
    nothing more than percentages of CMYK inks, accurate PMS output is not
    possible with your printer (or anyone else's) because PMS colors are NOT
    process colors. They are more like paint, i.e., solid inks that are mixed
    PRIOR to going on press. The best you can hope for is an approximation
    ([url]http://www.eainks.com/pms_books.html[/url] see item #2001), and, for some colors,
    you won't even be close.

    Good Luck,
    Howard

    "Piers Le Sueur" <piersdoug-chapman-design.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Hello everyone..
    > I've been having colour problems with getting accurate PMS colours out
    > of the Epson 1290 and freehand 11/illustrator v10
    >
    > Does anyone out there get a relatively accurate output with either
    > Freehand or illustrator?
    >
    > If so how have/what have you done to get it to work?...
    >
    > We're running a G4 1Ghz Dualie, 2GbRam and OSX.3.3
    >
    > This is really driving me crazy... I've got one idea up my sleeve but
    > I'll keep it as a last resort.
    >
    > If anyone can help me out I would extremely grateful.
    >
    > Regards
    > Piers

    Howard Owen Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Piers,

    Pantone makes special 'ColorVantage' pigmented inks for Epson printers.
    These are used with special Epson printer profiles and system. If the 1290
    uses the same inks as the Stylus Photo 1280, and you can dedicate the
    printer to these inks, it might be a solution for you.

    [url]http://www.pantone.com/inkjetsolutions/colorvantage.asp?idArticle=639&[/url]

    In the 'support files' section, there's a PDF describing the system.

    I have an Epson 1280 which I use chiefly as a photo printer. I've found that
    FHMX RGB/process colors print the same as the RGB values in photos placed in
    the doent. If you substituted your Pantone spot colors with RGB/process
    colors of the same RGB value as the Pantone library swatch, you would at
    least be able to get consistent output of RGB values.

    The Epson print driver has a number of color management settings that affect
    output. Make sure to set these consistently.

    Judy Arndt

    Piers Le Sueur wrote:
    > Hello everyone..
    > I've been having colour problems with getting accurate PMS colours out
    > of the Epson 1290 and freehand 11/illustrator v10
    >
    > Does anyone out there get a relatively accurate output with either
    > Freehand or illustrator?
    >
    > If so how have/what have you done to get it to work?...
    >
    > We're running a G4 1Ghz Dualie, 2GbRam and OSX.3.3
    >
    > This is really driving me crazy... I've got one idea up my sleeve but
    > I'll keep it as a last resort.
    >
    > If anyone can help me out I would extremely grateful.
    >
    > Regards
    > Piers
    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    Judy,

    How do these inks perform when printing Pantone colors? Consistant output
    doesn't mean much if it's cosistantly wrong.

    Howard

    Howard Owen Guest

  5. #5

    Howard Owen wrote:
    > How do these inks perform when printing Pantone colors? Consistant output
    > doesn't mean much if it's cosistantly wrong.
    I haven't used the Pantone ColorVantage inks, so I have no idea how they
    perform. I need my printer as a photo printer, so I wont be switching it
    over to the Pantone inks.

    I decided to do a few test prints to the Epson 1280. I made some swatch
    charts with a wide spectrum of RGB values and also some sample prints of
    Pantone Solid Coated swatches from the FHMX libraries.

    If ColorSync is chosen in the EPSON driver, then the FHMX color management
    doesn't seem to affect the print. Epson ColorSync gives the widest range of
    greens, purples, blues and reds, but the the yellows are greenish and the
    oranges are brown. I'm comparing the Epson print to my printed Pantone
    Coated guide. You certainly couldn't use this for color proofing Pantone
    jobs.

    With Epson color management off, I could get bright yellows and oranges but
    everything else got impossibly dark.

    Pantone Solid Coated swatches and the equivalent RGB swatches print the same
    using the ColorSync setup.

    In FHMX, a ColorSync color management setup makes the doent look pretty
    close to the printed output. Here are my settings:
    Profile for my monitor
    Monitor simulates Composite printer
    Seps printer: 'US Web Coated (SWOP)'
    Intent: Perceptual
    Select the Epson Printer and then _uncheck_ 'Composite simulates
    separations'. (important)
    Default RGB: EPSON sRGB.

    Hope this helps.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Judy Arndt Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Judy and Howard,
    Thank you for your responses, since posting I've done some
    experimentation and came upon using Colorsync!

    Infact I on my own came up with almost Identical to Judy... :-)

    So what I have now is a freehand doent of all the PMS colours (a
    small block of the colour with the name underneath) printed to the
    colorsync settings, so I have a complete printout of all the colours and
    generally they match to the screen. So all we do is match the true PMS
    Swatch Book to our printed chart, select that colour for the work, then
    just relable with the correct/true PMS colour. Everyone sees how it's
    meant to look then.

    I'll pass on my chart if you like... I used Solid coated for the PMS
    colours.

    Thanks again... I think we have something that works consistently! 8-)

    Regards
    Piers Le Sueur

    Judy Arndt wrote:
    > Howard Owen wrote:
    >
    >>How do these inks perform when printing Pantone colors? Consistant output
    >>doesn't mean much if it's cosistantly wrong.
    >

    > I haven't used the Pantone ColorVantage inks, so I have no idea how they
    > perform. I need my printer as a photo printer, so I wont be switching it
    > over to the Pantone inks.
    >
    > I decided to do a few test prints to the Epson 1280. I made some swatch
    > charts with a wide spectrum of RGB values and also some sample prints of
    > Pantone Solid Coated swatches from the FHMX libraries.
    >
    > If ColorSync is chosen in the EPSON driver, then the FHMX color management
    > doesn't seem to affect the print. Epson ColorSync gives the widest range of
    > greens, purples, blues and reds, but the the yellows are greenish and the
    > oranges are brown. I'm comparing the Epson print to my printed Pantone
    > Coated guide. You certainly couldn't use this for color proofing Pantone
    > jobs.
    >
    > With Epson color management off, I could get bright yellows and oranges but
    > everything else got impossibly dark.
    >
    > Pantone Solid Coated swatches and the equivalent RGB swatches print the same
    > using the ColorSync setup.
    >
    > In FHMX, a ColorSync color management setup makes the doent look pretty
    > close to the printed output. Here are my settings:
    > Profile for my monitor
    > Monitor simulates Composite printer
    > Seps printer: 'US Web Coated (SWOP)'
    > Intent: Perceptual
    > Select the Epson Printer and then _uncheck_ 'Composite simulates
    > separations'. (important)
    > Default RGB: EPSON sRGB.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Judy Arndt
    Piers Le Sueur Guest

  7. #7

    Piers,
    That's great that we both came up with the same results.

    I'm actually quite impressed with the color gamut of this printer when
    ColorSync is used in the Epson driver. The colors are far more intense than
    anything possible in CMYK -- not as intense as the most brilliant of the
    Pantone inks, but pretty good.

    I'd very much appreciate a copy of your chart of PMS colors.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.3

    Piers Le Sueur wrote:
    > Thank you for your responses, since posting I've done some
    > experimentation and came upon using Colorsync!
    >
    > Infact I on my own came up with almost Identical to Judy... :-)
    >
    > So what I have now is a freehand doent of all the PMS colours (a
    > small block of the colour with the name underneath) printed to the
    > colorsync settings, so I have a complete printout of all the colours and
    > generally they match to the screen. So all we do is match the true PMS
    > Swatch Book to our printed chart, select that colour for the work, then
    > just relable with the correct/true PMS colour. Everyone sees how it's
    > meant to look then.
    >
    > I'll pass on my chart if you like... I used Solid coated for the PMS
    > colours.
    Judy Arndt Guest