Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat 5.0 pdf files too large to attach and send via email. - Adobe Acrobat Windows

My PDF files generated in Acrobat 5.0 appear too large to send by my high speed connection. Some files appear unusually 'bloated' in size. Any suggestions on settings, fixes would be appreciated. Joe...

  1. #1

    Default Acrobat 5.0 pdf files too large to attach and send via email.

    Joe_Sheedy@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    How and from what are you creating the PDFs, including what joboptions? For what are the PDFs intended?

    You could break down trhe PDFs into smaller ones (fewer pages) or you could Zip the PDFs before sending by email.

    You could print your PDF to the Acrobat Distiller to create a new PDF (tho all links/forms etc would be lost)

    You have asked a very open-ended question... some more details would be useful.

    Dorian_Grey@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    My work involves doing searches through doents for key words and I use Acrobat Capture to set up for these searches. At time the file collection could run into the 1-2K doent search.

    In a recent task for a camera club where I am a member and will be communicating to members the results of photo competition. The *.PDF attachment size then becomes a problem if it is to large to send. At times I have copied to Acrobat 5.X and the file has been so larger that my high speed comcast connection times out.

    I would buy Acrobat 6 upgrade if that would help solve the problem. In the past, using Acrobat 3X, The tech support group recommended re-install of distiller with a bug fix addition. I would like to email the camera club communication with a small PDF file.

    Thanks for your response to my forum question
    Joe_Sheedy@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    doing searches through doents for key words and I use Acrobat Capture
    to set up for these searches.

    I'm still lost.

    Doing searches through what doents?

    Acrobat Capture is a program that converts large quantities of scanned images into PDF files, it has nothing to do with searching.

    At time the file collection could run into the 1-2K doent search.

    At what time? what file collection? What does "1-2k doent search: mean? 1-2,000 doents? Doents that are 1-2,000 bytes in size?

    In a recent task for a camera club where I am a member and will be communicating
    to members the results of photo competition. The *.PDF attachment size
    then becomes a problem if it is to large to send.

    How is this attachment created? From what source? Please give the exact steps with as much detail as possible.

    At times I have copied to Acrobat 5.X and the file has been so larger
    that my high speed comcast connection times out.

    How large are they? What do they contain? Pictures? Text? What?

    I would like to email the camera club communication with a small PDF file.

    What is the source of the inforamtion you wish to send via PDF? Photos? Word doent? Pagemaker? Indesign? "Small" is a subjective term, there's a quality/size scale, and you have to make a decision about where on that scale you're happy with the output.
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Some of the mentioned doents are legal docs and are saved from Microsoft Word 2000 as a PDF file. After creation these files are searched using the distiller program (not capture - my mistake) and the placed in an index and searched using Acrobat methodology. It is the file from word to Acrobat that may have a 'bloated' file size.

    The camera club is a new position and the final product would be an attached Acrobat file that would contain winners photo's on JPG format. The report is to review meeting competition and then discuss future events. Since I have yet to do this task I do not have specific experiences, but am concerned about keeping the file size small so that I will be able to email the Acrobat attachment to the club membership.

    Thanks for your interest - Joe
    Joe_Sheedy@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I'm concerned about keeping the file size small so that I will be able
    to email the Acrobat attachment to the club membership.

    I'd send an email with a link to the pdf on the web.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    After creation these files are searched using the distiller program

    Distiller converts PS files to PDF, it is also in no way involved in searching.

    Things that are involved in searching:

    Catalog: This builds indexes of groups of PDF files allowing you to search for text throughout the entire collection. You cannot search with this tool, you can only build the indexes that will allow you to do multiple-doent searches.

    Acrobat/Adobe Reader: End user applications that display PDFs and allows you to search for text within a file or within an Index (the index is created by Catalog, detailed above) of multiple files. This is where you actually do your searching.

    Web Server: Web servers can have built-in tools for searching PDF doents, but I don't believe this is the case with you.

    Index and searching behavior has changed with version 6 and I haven't really gotten into it yet, but even ater all this I am still not sure what your problem is.

    You seem to be talking about files that are too large but you have given no details about the files (other than they are "legal doents" made from Word 2000) or what size they are (or you want them to be).

    The whole camera club thing is confusing, too. Have you created some PDF doents with photographs in them and you feel these files are too large? How were these files created? What Distiller settings did you use? What is the size (dpi, bit depth, etc.) of the source images?

    Mark's advice is also sound. It is much better to put the PDF on a web site and email the link instead of emailing out the entire PDF, especially if it's going to more than one or two people.

    We need details of the specific problems you're having. So far you've done the equivalent of going to your mechanic and saying "My car is too slow."
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Great idea on providing a link to my web page, that may solve the problem of size, as for more detail let me think through the actions that I take and describe the process in more detail in a later response!

  9. #9

    The camera club is a new position and the final product would be an attached
    Acrobat file that would contain winners photo's on JPG format.

    Put the photos on a website add the photos with reduced size and quality to the pdf doent, and add links to the original photos.
    Bernd_Alheit@adobeforums.com Guest