Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat 6&7 Text doesn't print on Epson laser printers - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Hi, I'm having a recurring problem with PDFs outputting without printing the doent's text or, at beast garbling it, on Epson printers. On my current problem doent, all the text is an embedded subset type 1 font so there shouldn't be any problems there. However, when I print to either our Epson AcuLaser C2000 (PostScript 3) or my home Epson EPL-6200l the text simply doesn't print from both Acrobat 6 and 7. If I print to our Toshiba Studio211c it comes out fine. Moreover, a lot of the time when I print at home I'm forced to use Preview instead ...

  1. #1

    Default Acrobat 6&7 Text doesn't print on Epson laser printers

    Hi,

    I'm having a recurring problem with PDFs outputting without printing the doent's text or, at beast garbling it, on Epson printers.

    On my current problem doent, all the text is an embedded subset type 1 font so there shouldn't be any problems there. However, when I print to either our Epson AcuLaser C2000 (PostScript 3) or my home Epson EPL-6200l the text simply doesn't print from both Acrobat 6 and 7. If I print to our Toshiba Studio211c it comes out fine.

    Moreover, a lot of the time when I print at home I'm forced to use Preview instead of Acrobat for printing, because PDF text comes out a garbled mess of checked boxes if I use Acrobat.

    Any ideas why Preview can print pages to these printers that Acrobat can't?

    Thanks in advance, Pat
    Pat_Gilmour@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Pat,

    Have you attempted to send as IMAGE - or look at the ADVANCED settings
    in the PRINT menu?

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Jon, I've done both, I've sent as image but there's still no text. I then tried every combo of overprint setting I could find (it's black text on a white background however) in the advanced settings. No avail. I then went to the general prefs and tried something I didn't understand " Emit passthrough PostScript when printing". Changed nothing. Weird, eh? Any other ideas?
    Pat_Gilmour@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Pat,

    Odd - and are you using the exact driver - or a GIMP version?

    Is this an Adobe PDF - or another PDF creator?

    What occurs if you make a PDF - of the PDF (gulp!) ...

    Font policies from the ADVANCED/POSTSCRIPT OPTIONS category .. such as
    PS level - font sending policy etc., etc.

    Does the printer have a hot folder for dropping PDFs into as a test?

    Short of these ... call Epson ;-)

    Speak to you soon,

  5. #5

    Distiller 4 for Mac with QXP4,1 and LSWriter 8!!! Who can fault that?
    "Refrying" the PDF at 1.3 etc makes bog all difference.
    I'm just curious why Preview would be able to print it but Acrobat not. Some incompatibility with the Epson print driver I guess, but on Acrobat's side?
    Pat_Gilmour@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    OK - don't take this the wrong way (smile!) - but did you preflight the
    PDF using a well known PDF application ;-)

    J.
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Preflightathinging? Isn't that what you do with airplanes?
    Pat_Gilmour@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I've been having similar problems for the last two months with a newsletter that I produce. It prints fine to a postscript printer, but has severe text issues when printed to anything else using Acrobat. So far, the problem has occurred on an Epson R200, an HP 4650, and a Samsung color laser printer (not sure of model). This occurs when using both the reader and pro versions of Acrobat. The original doent was produced in InDesign CS and exported to PDF twice to yield a print-quality copy for our printer and a lower-res version for distribution on my organization's BBS. The low-res version is then processed in Acrobat 7 pro to add hyperlinks and article divisions as well as to save it as a file readable in Acrobat 5. As above, the problem appears not to occur when printing out of Preview instead of Acrobat. Hope they come up with a fix soon!

    Don
    Don_Nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Also, I did preflight the InDesign file before export, and it didn't reveal any problems.
    Don_Nelson@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    In anycase - it's the PDF you should be preflighting - if indeed it is
    the PDF you are experiencing problems with ;-)