Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat 8 Pro - PDF to Word doesn't work either - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

PDF to Word results in images of the PDF pages in a Word .doc file only. I can't get an editable file in Word of a converted file. This didn't work well in Acrobat 7 either. Is there something I need to do to get it work right? MacBook Pro continued...

  1. #1

    Default Acrobat 8 Pro - PDF to Word doesn't work either

    PDF to Word results in images of the PDF pages in a Word .doc file only. I can't get an editable file in Word of a converted file.

    This didn't work well in Acrobat 7 either.

    Is there something I need to do to get it work right?

    MacBook Pro 17", 2GB, OS 10.4.8
    Jeff_Hayden@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Acrobat 8 Pro - PDF to Word doesn't work either

    Are the PDF doents scans? Could be they're already images.
    graffiti Guest

  3. #3

    (Not sure email answer got here)

    No. They are PDFs generated by Safari through the Mac Print Preview button, saved as PDF from Preview, and then read into Acrobat 8 Pro, which I bought this weekend.

    While in Acrobat 8, the text is selectable and editable within Acrobat's object and text editing capabilities. But when I Export or Save As... to Word, all that gets sent to Word are images of the pages. No text.

    Jeff
    Jeff_Hayden@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hmm. Could be something caused by using Apple Quartz.

    What happens if you open in Safari and use File>Print and choose the Adobe PDF Printer?
    graffiti Guest

  5. #5

    They are PDFs generated by Safari through the Mac Print Preview button,
    saved as PDF from Preview, and then read into Acrobat 8 Pro

    This process works for me with this forum page.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    graffiti,

    graffiti,

    I'm converting in smaller chunks and using Adobe PDF 8.0. I had combined several different sized web pages into one larger PDF by printing through Preview and then using Acrobat to join them. I think Acrobat gave up on the changing page sizes and decided to just give me images.

    This seems to work, but a mess of text boxes is not a nice way to edit in Word.

    MarkATS,

    I know,

    I have had it work for me with 7.0. Breaking it into smaller original sized pieces seems to work, somewhat.

    The one you sent, BTW, is a bunch of text boxes, not normal continuous paragraphs with different formats, depending on the layout.

    I would prefer a regular Word layout with text boxes only for non-inline text and images. A bunch of text boxes is better than one big image, but not as useful as I was hoping for.

    Jeff
    Jeff_Hayden@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I'm also getting a lot of overlapping text boxes.

    I don't think I have any use for this conversion trick. Too bad. It was one of my reasons to upgrade to Acrobat 8.0 Pro.

    I guess it's still worth it to get a universal version. It does run much faster.

    Bummer!

    Does anyone make a good PDF to Word converter?
    Jeff_Hayden@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Does anyone make a good PDF to Word converter?

    try google. Most of them are Windows-only though.
    MarkATS@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    How are you converting Pdf to word.

    In acrobat 7.0.8 you open pdf in Acrobat.

    then go to "Save AS" choose word Doent.

    Then let sit and grind a while (depends upon size of Doent).

    When finished quit Acobat and either Double click on the Word doent, drop doent onto icon of word, oropen word then locate doent. Doents created thi way were/are always editable for me. never had a problem. One thing though I always have OSX to add the 3 letter code at the end.

    You mean that feature is broken in 8? I paid for early bird and haven't received notice of shipping yet. Now I don't know whether I want to load it when it gets here if they have broken working stuff.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest