Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat 9 TouchUp Text Helvetica problem - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Hi all, I know this is dangerous territory, but I'm trying to use the TouchUp text tool to alter text in Helvetica, and no matter what I've tried I get Original Font: Helvetica, but Editing Font: Arial. If I select Helvetica from the Font list, it immediately switches back to Arial. I'm pretty sure Arial isn't the same as Helvetica. ;-) Is it just me? This happens when files are created using Helvetica in either the latest version of Pages or Word 2008, and when created using the built-in PDF engine or selecting the Adobe PDF 9.0 Printer....

  1. #1

    Default Acrobat 9 TouchUp Text Helvetica problem

    Darren_McDonald@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Acrobat 9 TouchUp Text Helvetica problem

    Dumb Question: do you have Helvetica active in your OS? And make sure you launch Acrobat after you activated the font.
    Russell_Goodman@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Who in their right mind disables Helvetica?!! :-D

    Yes, it's active (I've never disabled Helvetica) and passes Font Book verification.
    Darren_McDonald@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Further info: this behaviour can be reproduced in Acrobat 8, running in Tiger/PPC. The original post detailed a problem in Leopard/Intel.
    telecomm@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Okay I am going to risk the wrath of asking further dumb question? is there more than on version of Helvelica, and what type it is it.

    Acrobat does not accept TrueType fonts of any kind. I've run into this problems for years. It will accept Postscript fonts and OpenType fonts. Which is An Adobe hybrid version of postscript and TrueType.

    Also Locate some type of Utilities that Removes Fonts Caches. Use that to remove font cache then restart computer to rebuild the fonts caches. Some times they get mucked up and cause strange problems.

    Remember we are hear to help. If a person ask a dumb question don't jump down their throat. you be surprised how many people do dumb things if they don't know better.

    We don't know your level of expertise. You may have just got your first Mac day before yesterday. Then You may have cut your eye teeth on a Fat Mac or a 128K Mac.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Almost all of my fonts are TrueType, with the exception of a few OpenType fonts. I don't think that's the problem, as I've successfully used this feature with a number of TrueType fonts. In fact, the version of Arial that Acrobat seems intent on using instead is a TrueType font, and I just tried converting the original doent to Geneva, another Apple-supplied default Mac font, and TouchUp text worked fine.

    As best I can tell, this problem is specific to Helvetica. I'll try to clean the font caches to see if that helps.

    Also, when replying to the previous poster I didn't mean to come across as hostile (I thought the laughing smiley would have got that across?), and I do, of course, appreciate any help that's offered.
    telecomm@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    More info. I've rebuilt font caches on both my PPC/Tiger/Pro 8.1.3 machine as well as my Intel/Leopard/Pro 9 machine.

    Creating a PDF from TextEdit using either the built-in PDF engine or the Adobe printer, then using the TouchUp Text tool in Acrobat still exhibits this behaviour. I guess this is a bug, which I'll report if anyone can confirm they're also experiencing this problem.
    telecomm@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I have a further suggestion. go to acrobat help and look Font Cache.

    Since its connected to Acrobat/Distiller Find out from someone how to rebuild Acrobat's on internal Font Cache. Acrobat uses there own unique type font cache.

    Also another thing you might try, is go back to font book and go to all the Helvetica listing and turn on all the different versions, of Helvetica even if it does cause duplicates. Sometimes if the wrong version of Font it turned off will cause problems.

    I've used 8.1.x up until I purchased 9.0 and neveer had a problem with it.

    Also in font Book it does have a font repair (Validation) tool run it maybe there is slight bug that Acrobat Hiccups on.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I've only got one version of Helvetica (the same one used to create the original doent, and it passes verification. I haven't managed to find any info about Acrobat's own internal font cache, but seeing as this problem is reproducible on two machines with two different versions of Acrobat (and two different font caches) I suspect its a bug.
    telecomm@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Do have a you have a sample original doent that you could post somewhere. Maybe I can download it see if I can open it and do a sample touch up. to see if its the doent or a problem with the the font your using on computer.

    I have run into on 9.0 if I triedthe touch up tool and the font isn't installed you have to go to properties and select a font you want to use.

    Rendering PDF in which people stripped all fonts from the PDF to save space (size) un editable.

    TRy this and see if, this will help. click on Touch-up tool, then wait until it loads Fonts. Highlight characters you want to change. The go to properties menu or option-click/right click and wait for drop down box. look for properties. Now click on fonts tab and choose Helvetica. close out of properties and see that allows you to edit.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Anyone interested in checking this out can download a couple of sample files from my post on MacRumors. It's at <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600109>
    telecomm@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Okay followed the link downloaded the two test doents. In each I attempted and was successful in removing and re-inserting the the *i* in the word this. Before I went to Touch-up text I went to pdf optimizer to verify that there indeed was a font embedded. It was shown as sub-setted but it was embedded.

    Next I went touch up text tool and waited until my system fonts were loaded. The I clicked in between the *i* and the *s* in this. then I deleted and add the letter *i* indicating I could touch up doent.

    You either have a bad installation or you have some setting within Acrobat you have set wrong.

    I've also answered with much the same response in your MacRumors post.

    Someone else will have to tell you what setting you have set up wrong.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks pjonesCET, I think I'll continue my investigation over at MacRumors (at <http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=600109> for anyone interested).
    telecomm@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Acrobat 9 is a Strange bird anyway, I have a problem with Acrobat 9/ Reader 9 recognizing printer in Page setup. One one hard drive I click on any printer in Page Setup in both I can select the correct Printer.

    On another drive (used as a Backup device only) I can set printer in Reader 9 but not Acrobat 9.

    On my Laptop I can't set my printer in either Acrobat 9, and Reader 9.

    All use OSX4.11 and the two computers are PowerPC models. I've posted the question in this forum yet the question never showed up here in this forum. I did have one person say they have have heard a rumor or two about this happening. But so far dead silence.

    Good Luck I'll have to post over a at Mac Rumors as well. Maybe I can get more of a Response there.

    Sorry we could not be more helpful to you.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest