Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat PDF file difficulties - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hi, I can save an image, however once I try to modify it and resave I get the error message "Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties". If I rename the file I can save again, however that is getting tiresome. Any solutions? I'm using illustrator 10. Thanks in advance Dave...

  1. #1

    Default Acrobat PDF file difficulties

    Hi,

    I can save an image, however once I try to modify it and resave I get the error message "Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties". If I rename the file I can save again, however that is getting tiresome. Any solutions? I'm using illustrator 10.

    Thanks in advance

    Dave
    David C. Payne Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Acrobat PDF file difficulties

    David,

    Have you tried saving your Master file as .ai, then if it needs modifying, do it in there and if you need it in PDF or EPS format, again do it from the master?

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I would like to try your suggestion, however Illustrator has just started crashing whenever I open any doent, so perhaps I have other issues. I may try to reinstall the program.

    That said, I thought that saving a file as an .ai was the default. And that making it pdf compatible was an option on the checkbox.

    Dave
    David C. Payne Guest

  4. #4

    David,

    All true, but if you were having trouble with only PDF files, that would be a workaround until the problem was solved. It seems that's not your only problem. It would appear you might be having a resource problem. Do you regularly Defrag? How many fonts do you have installed and active (over 150)? Are you using anything by Norton? What does your Resource meter say prior to a crash?

  5. #5

    I am having the same difficulty, I create my image, save it as .ai

    when I open it again and work on it it won't let me save it, I get the same error message that David is getting "Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties"
    I am not trying to save it as a PDF file, just as .ai I am using
    illustrator 9, and use norton anti virus and system works.. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Raul
    raul_acero@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Raul,

    See if this one helps you: <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/11fbe.htm>

  7. #7

    Bob,
    Thanks for your help, I'll try out those solutions one by one..

  8. #8

    Raul,

    I would really like to know what ends up working for you. I have this same problem (ver 9.02) and have tried going through that help file. Aside from upgrading to CS, I'm not sure what else I can try. I can't save over my files, some of my files become corrupt and I get sharing violations. Not sure what that's about. Anyway, just curious to know if you find a solution. :)
    Tammy_Golchert@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Tammy,
    I'll let you know, there are quite a few things to try and it'll take me some time I think, I'm going to try trashing the pref file as soon as I find it and work from there, I'll let you know.

  10. #10

    I'm having the same problem - the error message is "Acrobat PDF file format is having difficulties. A temporary file could not be opened."

    Problem is, I can't even open the files in question. they are native .ai files, adn I've tried changing the extension to .eps and .pdf - same result.

    I am networked, but the files are on my local hard drive - have not even been saved to the network at all.

    I tried to create a "test" file and it won't let me save it - I just keep getting the same stupid dialog box.

    v. 9.02; Win XP

    I would try to delete temp files, or trash prefs, but I am really a Mac user - just using Win here at work - and don't know exactly where the prefs are -

    I have big problems - as there are projects due asap that require Illustrator. HELP!
    bethsanders@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I solved my problem, I tried many things deleting unused bruhes etc.. deleting the pref file ( did a search for aipref using find hidden files switch) nothing then I downloaded and installed the latest update, but what really worked for me was changing the name of the folder where I stored the .ai files. It was named raśl, my name has a "tilde" an accent in spanish and in my multitude of research for this dumb problem I came across an article from adobe that said not to name files, the hard drive or the folder with any extended characters, nothing strange in the name or anywhere in the path. I re neamed the folder and that ended my problems, I can save .ai files.

  12. #12

    Well, I'm giving up and just ordered the upgrade to CS. My folder that I save to is call "Advertisements". Can't get much plainer than that. Hopefully the newer software will work better with XP. Thanks everyone.
    Tammy_Golchert@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Quote Originally Posted by raul_aceroadobeforums.com View Post
    I solved my problem, I tried many things deleting unused bruhes etc.. deleting the pref file ( did a search for aipref using find hidden files switch) nothing then I downloaded and installed the latest update, but what really worked for me was changing the name of the folder where I stored the .ai files. It was named raśl, my name has a "tilde" an accent in spanish and in my multitude of research for this dumb problem I came across an article from adobe that said not to name files, the hard drive or the folder with any extended characters, nothing strange in the name or anywhere in the path. I re neamed the folder and that ended my problems, I can save .ai files.
    Raul
    thanx Raul worked for me too with illustrator 10 and windows 7 ultimate with arabic. just save the file elsewhere... on my desktop it worked! :)
    ooOOZ Guest