Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat pdf icon switches to Mac Preview icon on save - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

When I create a pdf using Distiller, the Acrobat icon appears on the pdf. If I open the pdf in Acrobat and make any notations, when I save it the icon switches to the Mac Preview icon. How can I get the pdf to save and maintain the Acrobat icon? Using Acrobat 6 (have 7, but haven't installed yet) on a MAC osX.3.9....

  1. #1

    Default Acrobat pdf icon switches to Mac Preview icon on save

    Janet_Bemis@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Highlight one of the PDF's with the Preview icon. In Finder got to File>Get Info>Open With.

    Choose Acrobat then click the "Change all" button.
    graffiti Guest

  3. #3

    I just delete the Preview application these days ;-)

    Jon
    Jon_Bessant@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    That's rather extreme. There are other file types preview can look at besides PDF. Graf's suggestion is better. except for it to change for all you have to select a Group (more than 3) of pdf's with the prieview icons. Just clicking on one only changes that doent to use the application of your choice despite what it says.

    in x.3.9 either drag selct a group or hold down Command key while individually selecting. Do get info un button that show application used to open choose Acrobat or Reader. then on button below click on change all.

    ON OSX.4 and above. Apple has thrown a monkey wrench (thinking it would be more logical) (what happens when some one education sense instead of good ole "Horse sense or common sense) in. do as above except right click or control click to bring up a menu. and choose setting that says GetInfo Group or group get info or equivelent. Then continue on with directions above. IN X.4 if you select a group and do just get info and window opens up for each file.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Phil - you know I know that .. but ask most people ... what do they use
    Preview for?

  6. #6

    except for it to change for all you have to select a Group

    In some cases yes. In the OP's case, he's talking about PDF's created by Distiller. You just need to change one then all PDF's created by Distiller will respect the changes.

    If you're getting PDF's from all over the place made by many different applications (other than Adobe), you may need to select a few but that still doesn't assure that you'll cover all your bases. You STILL may run into some that take on the Preview icon.

    I just delete the Preview application these days

    Heh! Smart move.
    graffiti Guest

  7. #7

    I use it for Graphics files I may not have a graphics program will open. And some Instructions files for applications actually use preview because it accepts formatting (Bold, Itallic, Underline, etc) Text edit is pure ASCII Text so no formatting which affect line breaks and Paragraph breaks and styles.

    Its something I don't use day to day, though ;-)
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I use it for Graphics files I may not have a graphics program will open.

    Well then, here's an early Christmas present...

    <http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/>
    graffiti Guest

  9. #9

    I already have a version of it on my G4-500 fom a 2004 install its a X11 KDE install. takes a long time to crank up though.
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    takes a long time to crank up though

    On a G4 500? Well, Shyeah. It would. :)
    graffiti Guest

  11. #11

    I used a MacAddict article on how to install KDE, FINK, and Gimp. I however, threw away the magazine the article was in. Guess I'll have to figure out how to update them, huh? :-)
    pjonesCET@adobeforums.com Guest