Professional Web Applications Themes

Acrobat Reader 6.0 = Bloated - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I estimated the time because it seemed to be twice as slow with version 6.0 than with 5.0. I am glad to hear that some of you actually timed it on a couple of different machines. It is too bad that I don't have a 3 Ghz or 2 Ghz at home. At home it took so long that looking at .pdf's become laborious, that I start cursing the fact that I clicked on a .pdf before looking closer. 1. This is the Acrobat Forum, not the Reader Forum. Point me in the direction of the Reader forum ?? I ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Acrobat Reader 6.0 = Bloated

    I estimated the time because it seemed to be twice as slow with version 6.0 than with 5.0. I am glad to hear that some of you actually timed it on a couple of different machines. It is too bad that I don't have a 3 Ghz or 2 Ghz at home. At home it took so long that looking at .pdf's become laborious, that I start cursing the fact that I clicked on a .pdf before looking closer.

    1. This is the Acrobat Forum, not the Reader Forum.

    Point me in the direction of the Reader forum ?? I looked and couldn't find one. Anyways we can discuss it here because they are basically the same thing except you can't create .pdf's in Reader. Discuss the issue as others have done instead of trying to play off the problem as a misposting.

    ---
    As others have said, it is all the plugin's (mp3 player for instance ... ) that is creating the horrible load times and the "bloat" that I described in my first posting. I have a couple solutions for you.

    1) Goto Google and do a search for AcRd5ENU.exe . That is the name of the Acrobat Reader 5.0 installer.

    2) Go find a program called Adobe Reader Speed-Up 1.16 and it will disable all the bloat so it should load faster.

    Here is a link.
    <http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1069854583>

    You might find it on download.com or tucows as well.

    Maybe someday Adobe will create Acrobat Reader Lite and expunge all this crap that is in the new version, until then if you are annoyed as I am, try the two solutions listed above.

    Hope this helps.

    Logan
    Logan_L.@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Go find a program called Adobe Reader Speed-Up 1.16 and it will disable
    all the bloat so it should load faster.

    Why rely on another program that does what can easily be done manually. I have seen this prgram but never got round to downloading it to see what exactly it does.

    I am sure it does nothing more than removing (or deleting!?) some plug-ins from the plug-ins folder - as I said this is easily achievable manually. Doing this would effectively create a "Reader Lite". Obviously you need to read up on all the plug-ins and be aware of their inter-dependancies.
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I haven't downloaded the program either and tried it. I am running 5.0 now... I will have to test it out later.

    I figured that it might help some people. I am not sure what it does but if all it really does is delete directories than I am sure it is not worth the download. It might do more than that.

    You are saying that all you need to do to make it run faster is disable the plugin's by deleteing the plugins subfolder in the Acrobat Reader 6.0 directory?

    If the process is more elaborate than please enlighten myself and others.
    Logan_L.@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    "Obviously you need to read up on all the plug-ins and be aware of their inter-dependancies."

    Now that's a good idea - local lending library? The help file tells you how to manage plug-ins but not what each one does - and above all nothing about interdependencies.

    And whilst I am on the subject of reading - I read about additional Batch files on the Acrobat CD - read the CD contents and can't find any - local lending library again?

    Sorry about the last OT para - I'll make a separate thread if anyone insists.
    Cheers
    Ian
    Ian_Burton@home_in_Paris.fr Guest

  5. #5

    You are saying that all you need to do to make it run faster is disable
    the plugin's by deleteing the plugins subfolder in the Acrobat Reader
    6.0 directory?

    No, definitely not. If you delete this folder then nothing will launch. Rather selectively remove some plug-ins *.api files from the plug_ins folder.

    In Adobe Help > About Adobe Plug-ins... I presume this ispresent in Reader too.

    Ian

    I have heard that too about the batch files - have never got round to looking for them.
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Sounds like a major hassle to me to have to edit the batch file. I wonder if the program loads quicker after you delete the frivolous api's. I would use 6.0 to create .pdf's if you don't own a copy of the full version of 5.0. I would definately download the 5.0 reader and set that as the default program to open/read .pdf's.

    The program that I linked might help the people who have 6.0 installed and don't want to install two copies of Acrobat or it might be a waste of time. We will have to see.
    Logan_L.@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Logan_L.@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    I've just gone through the Acrobat 5.05 and 6.01 help files without finding anything describing the various plug-ins and what they do. Nearest topic to About Adobe Plug-ins I could find is called Managing Plug-ins and all that does is repeat the advice of moving them in our out according to performanace and functional needs - but nothing about what each Plug-in does.

    Of course if I wuz itellignet like wot yu iz Jonafan I wud av lucked in the elp menu itzelf wudnt i!!!! I can't see the wood for all the trees in the way.

    By the way in all this searching I confirmed there are no *.sequ files on any of my CDs, so I don't know where this myth of extra batch sequences on the CD came from.

  9. #9

    I confirmed there are no *.sequ files on any of my CDs

    I have just come to the same conclusion. There is no mention of it in the custom install either - although this is significantly different form Acrobat 5.

    I think it has to be added to the long list of Urban Myths along with the crocodiles in the sewers and others :)
    Jonathan_H@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    >I've just gone through the Acrobat 5.05 and 6.01 help files without finding anything describing the various plug-ins and what they do.

    Help > About Adobe Plugins.

    First entry goes

    File name: Accessibility.api
    technology such as screen readers to interact with Acrobat.

    Dependencies:
    Plug-ins required for loading: Acroform, EScript, PDDoc
    Plug-ins required for full functionalty: MakeAccessible.

    And so on.

    (I guess you knew that but it does no harm to rub it in.)

    If accessibility seems frivolous, or you don't need it, you could
    remove that plug-in. And so on.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thank you Aandi for that explanation.
    "I guess you knew that" - you guess well sir!
    "but it does no harm to rub it in" - with a light piece of cotton wool no, using an industrial strength floor polisher, it might sting a bit afterwards!

    I was browsing through the articles in the Photoshop Lounge (and it's cellar) after some thread from P. Boone turned up in the Forum Comments area. Some interesting characters, it seems, hang out there in a somewhat strained atmosphere. In comparison the FrameMaker, Acrobat, and Reader forums seem to be quiet, peaceful, extremely well served collections of professional competence and general helpfulness, regardless of the tone of some of the posts from users in difficulty.

    I do hope this level of excellence by forum contributors can be maintained and that my occasional follies of indecipherable Yorkshire humour (highly corrupted by living in former colonies like France) will be acceptable to the general forum population. Just as I accept peacefully and quietly the highland humour in post #17. Grr.

  12. #12

    Never been to the Photoshop lounge then?
    :)
    de_Siem@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    de Siem,
    Just the once. It seems like a place my parents, wives, children, grandchildren, and local clergy would recommend should be avoided as should other potentially stressful encounters. But since I follow only informed or experienced advice, I may well return when working obligations abate.

  14. #14

    Ian,

    ...wives...

    You are a dark horse!

    Arthur
    none@none.com Guest

  15. #15

    Just a rather pale keyboard rider actually - first ran of with an artist, second ran of with my climbing partner, third refused to leave Bruxelles when my work took me to Grenoble. Fourth and last - I am waiting for her to get home from work. I work from home most of the time now so even working very late is not a problem, as this has been the root cause of all the other crashes.

  16. #16

    All this and you're only 22 years old!!

    I wasn't sure from what you said originally whether they were consecutive or concurrent...

    I now understand why you're living in Paris - you could never have got away with this in Yorkshire!

    All the best.

    Have a great weekend.

    Arthur
    none@none.com Guest

  17. #17

    By the way in all this searching I confirmed there are no *.sequ files
    on any of my CDs, so I don't know where this myth of extra batch sequences
    on the CD came from.

    Might want to check your CD again.

    <http://hob.allens.com/pdf/5_cd_sequences.jpg>
    W_T_Allen@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    Never been to the Photoshop lounge then?

    de Siem, Just the once. It seems like a place my parents, wives, children,
    grandchildren, and local clergy would recommend should be avoided as should
    other potentially stressful encounters.

    It's an acquired taste I think. It can be unwelcomely interesting and exciting at times, I would have to say.
    Fr._Watson@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    WT,
    Your partially right. There are no *.sequ on the Pro 6.01 disk, but there are additional *.sequ files on the AA5 disk. I was quire tired when I was doing all this checking. I must have put the wrong CD in the machine, when I did the search for *.sequ.

    I've opened a few of the *.sequ files and there seems to be nothing there that is release specific so I'll try one of these AA5 files with the AAPRO6.01 application to see what happens.

    Ian_Burton@home_in_Paris.fr Guest