Professional Web Applications Themes

acrodist.exe not launching as regular user - Adobe Acrobat Windows

I have been having several problems with distiller not working. My users need to use distiller to decrease the size of the files they are working with. Now, this is what's wierd. I loaded a brand new machine, sysprped it, ghosted to an image server. Then used that image to load other machines which were exactly the same. Out of those other machines, I have two which are confirmed to work, and one that doesn't. Users are locked out of configuring anything and all users have the same permissions for their machines - just straight users. Oh, and by the ...

  1. #1

    Default acrodist.exe not launching as regular user

    I have been having several problems with distiller not working. My users need to use distiller to decrease the size of the files they are working with.

    Now, this is what's wierd. I loaded a brand new machine, sysprped it, ghosted to an image server. Then used that image to load other machines which were exactly the same. Out of those other machines, I have two which are confirmed to work, and one that doesn't.

    Users are locked out of configuring anything and all users have the same permissions for their machines - just straight users. Oh, and by the way, I have other machines that are having the same problem - random machines. When using the image all I did was give the computer a name, include server settings for Outlook, add two printers, set a default compression setting for Winrar, and modify power settings to never turn off.

    The users go to print to distiller, the printer icon comes up, but acrodist.exe never runs and the file is not created.

    If I log on as administrator the acrodist.exe runs and the file is created. So then I thought maybe it could be a permissions issue due to the fact that the pdf port is directed to the c:\doents and settings\all users\desktop location, but then again, my other users don't have special permissions for that location. I also changed the pdf port to a different one where the user would have full ntfs permissions away from the root of the hard drives and profiles.... and it still does the same thing. It isnt' a particular user issue because I logged on as a person who has a machien which this works on and everything is fine.
    Joyce_Nord@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: acrodist.exe not launching as regular user

    What happens if you leave Acrobat out of your ghost and instead deploy it with a Tuner-created package?

    Nathan
    Nathan_Strong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    It doesn't work even on the original machine used to create the ghost image.... and it didn't work before it was sysprepd. But it does work on one that was ghosted. Otherwise, I would think it may have been the sysprep removing something frome the security settings or security settings getting reapplied once it rejoined the domain.

    I'm sure I could probably make it work using the mmc with security configuration and ysis snap in, but that also loosens the machine up for other possible accidental changes, so I would like only to make the change to security wherever it's at with Adobe.

    The Adobe keys in the registy under HKLM software and the NTFS permissions are also the same on a machine that does work, and one that doesn't. So, there has to be somewhere the acrodist.exe calls which has an incorrect permission somewhere that's not working.

    Which, if I could find that out, I can probably fix it.
    Joyce_Nord@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Ok, thanks to finding an unrelated post, we think we have licked the problem, as we have been able to repeatedly get it to work on several machines which were not working before. Want to post this out there in case someone else has the same issue and is pulling their hair out wondering why.

    Next I'm going to have to figure out how the heck the key got changed in the first place. Since sysprep woudl be the logical choice, but it was ran on all the machine I have eliminated it.

    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Acrobat Distiller\5.0\PrinterJobControl

    Machinename\Users need to have full control of the above key in the registry.
    Joyce_Nord@adobeforums.com Guest