Professional Web Applications Themes

Acroread7 - FreeBSD

I have hit upon another problem with my new system. Acroread is now version 7 (what was wrong with the previous version, Adobe? *shrug*) and since it is a Linux binary it naturally depends on Linux libraries. But, some of those libraries are missing. Anyone having the same problem? I searched google and the mailing lists for a solution, and found some that suggested telling the Linux ldconfig the localtion of the FreeBSD library files, but that wont work. Is the dependancies for the port broken, or have I missed something again? /andreas -- A: Because it fouls the order ...

  1. #1

    Default Acroread7

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Acroread7

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 12:54:04PM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:

    Sounds like you're running an out-of-date ports collection.

    Kris

    Kris Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Kris Kennaway wrote:

    > Sounds like you're running an out-of-date ports collection.[/ref]

    Well, I updated it just days ago when I installed my new kernel. Maybe
    the port was broken just those days I looked then. If no others have the
    same problem I guess I must have been "lucky" to get it right when it
    broke then. :)

    /andreas

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  4. #4

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:34:02PM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:

    > >Sounds like you're running an out-of-date ports collection.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, I updated it just days ago when I installed my new kernel. Maybe
    > the port was broken just those days I looked then. If no others have the
    > same problem I guess I must have been "lucky" to get it right when it
    > broke then. :)[/ref]

    The print/acroread port was updated from Acroread 5 to Acroread 7 about
    a week ago. A few days ago it was changed back to Acroread 5, while the
    print/acroread7 port was created for Acroread 7.

    So your ports collection is out-of-date, but only by a few days. :-)

    I did not have any problems when I installed either of them on a fairly
    clean system a few days ago. (I originally installed print/acroread
    when it was a version 7, and the deinstalled it and installed version 5
    when the port was changed back.)

    For me teh linux-libraries it depends on was pulled in automatically,
    just like they are supposed to be, so I it is something local to your
    system.

    --
    <Insert your favourite quote here.>
    Erik Trulsson

  5. #5

    On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 02:34:02PM +0100, Andreas Davour wrote:

    > >Sounds like you're running an out-of-date ports collection.[/ref]
    >
    > Well, I updated it just days ago when I installed my new kernel. Maybe
    > the port was broken just those days I looked then. If no others have the
    > same problem I guess I must have been "lucky" to get it right when it
    > broke then. :)[/ref]

    The ports collection is usually very quickly changing. Within hours
    of a bug being reported, it is often fixed. Therefore, when you see a
    bug but only get around to reporting it a few days later, you should
    either

    * first check whether it's already been fixed

    * at least check whether it's already been reported (i.e. consult the
    freebsd-ports mailing list archives)

    Thanks,
    Kris

    Kris Guest

  6. #6

    On stardate Wed, 23 Mar 2005, the wise Andreas Davour entered:

    I've problems with linux libraries too (also after an update of my
    portstree). I get:

    /compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread:
    error while loading shared libraries: libXrandr.so.2: cannot open shared
    object file: No such file or directory

    marcoyokozuna $ locate libXrandr.so.2
    /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrandr.so.2

    Is this the same problem you're having?

    Marco

    --
    The advertisement is the most truthful part of a newspaper
    -- Thomas Jefferson

  7. #7

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Marco Beishuizen wrote:

    > I've problems with linux libraries too (also after an update of my
    > portstree). I get:

    > /compat/linux/usr/local/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread:
    > error while loading shared libraries: libXrandr.so.2: cannot open shared
    > object file: No such file or directory
    >
    > marcoyokozuna $ locate libXrandr.so.2
    > /usr/X11R6/lib/libXrandr.so.2
    >
    > Is this the same problem you're having?[/ref]

    Exactly the same.

    As Erik (et al) wrote, it will all be pulled in and resolved as
    dependencies if you have a sufficienyly up-to-date ports tree.

    Kind of annyoing that it wasn't caught before it was comitted at all,
    but considering the total confusion that reigns right now with two
    different acroread ports it's just what can be expected.

    I did a cvsup 30 minutes ago, and then it worked.

    /Andreas

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

  8. #8

    On stardate Wed, 23 Mar 2005, the wise Andreas Davour entered:

    Hmm I also did a cvsup, but it makes no difference, I still get the sam
    error. I guess I have an other problem on my system.

    Marco

    --
    "I'd love to go out with you, but there are important world issues that
    need worrying about."

  9. #9

    > Hmm I also did a cvsup, but it makes no difference, I still get the sam
    > error. I guess I have an other problem on my system.[/ref]

    You may need to do a make clean or a make distclean in the port directory
    after doing a cvsup. I've found that some ports don't realize that things
    have changed after a cvsup and so continue to try and build with half
    built old code.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  10. #10

    On stardate Wed, 23 Mar 2005, the wise Ean Kingston entered:

    > You may need to do a make clean or a make distclean in the port directory
    > after doing a cvsup. I've found that some ports don't realize that things
    > have changed after a cvsup and so continue to try and build with half
    > built old code.[/ref]

    I just tried but that doesn't help either. I guess it has something to do
    with my linux emulation.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Marco

    --
    There's no room in the drug world for amateurs.
    Marco Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Marco Beishuizen wrote:

    > Hmm I also did a cvsup, but it makes no difference, I still get the sam
    > error. I guess I have an other problem on my system.[/ref]

    You'll have to pkg_delete the old acroread port, and I did a "make
    clean" as well. Try that, and it might work.

    /Andreas

    --
    A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?