Professional Web Applications Themes

actions- 'merge linked' without specifying layer name - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

am trying to make an action to merge a layer with its effects (eg drop shadow etc) so i can select it with its shadow and make an alpha channel for it. I normally do this by creating a new layer, linking it with my text layer and going "merge linked". (if anyone knows a better way please tell me!)then creating the alpha channel from the flattened layer. anyway, so I'm trying to create an action for this: 1.i create new layer: layer 2 layer called "fred" 2.link them, 3.select the bottom layer so when i merge the 2 it ...

  1. #1

    Default actions- 'merge linked' without specifying layer name

    am trying to make an action to merge a layer with its effects (eg drop shadow etc) so i can select it with its shadow and make an alpha channel for it. I normally do this by creating a new layer, linking it with my text layer and going "merge linked". (if anyone knows a better way please tell me!)then creating the alpha channel from the flattened layer.

    anyway, so I'm trying to create an action for this:

    1.i create new layer:

    layer 2
    layer called "fred"

    2.link them,
    3.select the bottom layer so when i merge the 2 it retains its name
    4. merge linked, or merge visible

    unfortunately in the actions it records step 2 and 3 as link layers: "fred"
    and "select layer "fred", so i can't apply it to anything else as it's always looking for fred.

    how can i get it to link to "the layer below", ie more generically, rather than using a layer name?

    thanks, anna
    anna_greve@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    The name of the layer is embedded as you've already noted. You can either rename your layers so that they ARE generic (the default for the layer name when it's created), but that has issues with it.

    The other thing is to toggle layer visibility the way you want it, then do a merge visible instead of linking then merge linked. That way the layer name isn't embedded. It will perform the action on whatever layer you are on and will merge whatever is visible.

    Peace,
    Tony
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    yeah the problem is i want to keep the layer name intact, and the moment i go "new layer" , that new layer is selected so even if i go "merge visible" then, i need to first reselect the original layer if i want to keep that layers name intact on the final merged layer. and the moment i select that original layer, the action records its name.

    so i guess it's not possible to keep the layer name. oh well, bit of a bummer there aren't generic scripts functions you can manually apply like "the layer below" to replce the bit where the layer name goes!

    also, is there a way to record the "save as" function as an action, so you can at least navigate to the folder you want and select the filetype through action? whenever i try, it includes the filename, so subsequent versions overwrite the original. i saw one in the generic PS actions called "save as photoshop PDF" where the script goes "file or folder not found" at the point where the filename is on mine...how to i te this action for say, a targa?

    thanks!
    anna_greve@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    so even if i go "merge visible" then, i need to first reselect the original
    layer if i want to keep that layers name intact on the final merged layer.
    and the moment i select that original layer, the action records its name.

    You might want to consider Stamping the layer then. You create a new, blank layer. You will then default to being on this layer. Then you hold down the Alt key and choose Layers (keep your mouse button held down) then Merge Visible. This will merge all visible onto the new layer you just created and have already targeted.

    is there a way to record the "save as" function as an action, so you can
    at least navigate to the folder you want and select the filetype through
    action?

    Yes, you can. How well this will work depends on what you are trying to do - process discrete images or process them in batch.

    If you are processing discrete images, you will be prompted for filename and location and optionally compression options, depending on the file type. Here's a simple example.

    Include in your action File|Save As. Go through all the motions of recording the actual saving of the file as you have done before. But when you are finished recording, toggle the dialog of the save as portion of your action to ON - that's the little square next to the action name. That will prompt you for location and filename.

    If you are batching images, toggle the dialog to OFF. I have a sense that you aren't batching, but if you are, and want to know more, come back and ask and I'll explain how that's done.

  5. #5

    in that first method as far as i can see i still end up with the name of the new layer rather than the original layer....

    but the saving thing worked- thank you!!!!!
    anna_greve@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    in that first method as far as i can see i still end up with the name
    of the new layer rather than the original layer....

    Yes, but it's generic then. After you do your "little dance" with it, then you can have your action remove it, and you're just like you were only with your alpha channel.
    YrbkMgr@adobeforums.com Guest