Professional Web Applications Themes

active directory - ASP Components

Hello, I need to get all the AD information from a user that access a intranet ASP.NET page.Does anyone can tell me how to do it? (the user can't put its login and password on a text box and validate it, I've got to get it by code) Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Active Directory

    Hello,

    I need to get all the AD information from a user that access a intranet
    ASP.NET page.Does anyone can tell me how to do it? (the user can't put its
    login and password on a text box and validate it, I've got to get it by
    code)

    Thanks

    Galore Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Active Directory

    You can have one resource account that has AD query previlige and something
    like

    DirecotryEntry entry = new DirectoryEntry(path, username, password)

    "Galore" <galoreig.com.br> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I need to get all the AD information from a user that access a intranet
    > ASP.NET page.Does anyone can tell me how to do it? (the user can't put its
    > login and password on a text box and validate it, I've got to get it by
    > code)
    >
    > Thanks

    Beginner Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your reply, but the main problem is not get information from AD,
    it's how can I know which user has accessed the ASP.NET page.

    []'s

    "Beginner" <bzhanghotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You can have one resource account that has AD query previlige and
    something
    > like
    >
    > DirecotryEntry entry = new DirectoryEntry(path, username, password)
    >
    > "Galore" <galoreig.com.br> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I need to get all the AD information from a user that access a intranet
    > > ASP.NET page.Does anyone can tell me how to do it? (the user can't put
    its
    > > login and password on a text box and validate it, I've got to get it by
    > > code)
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Galore Guest

  4. #4

    You can use Request.ServerVariables["logon_user"], but there're no guarantee
    that it will give you the result all the time. Espeically if you have
    non-domain or non-window users.

    > Thanks for your reply, but the main problem is not get information from
    AD,
    > it's how can I know which user has accessed the ASP.NET page.
    >
    > []'s
    >
    > "Beginner" <bzhanghotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > You can have one resource account that has AD query previlige and
    > something
    > > like
    > >
    > > DirecotryEntry entry = new DirectoryEntry(path, username, password)
    > >
    > > "Galore" <galoreig.com.br> wrote in message
    > > > Hello,
    > > >
    > > > I need to get all the AD information from a user that access a
    intranet
    > > > ASP.NET page.Does anyone can tell me how to do it? (the user can't put
    > its
    > > > login and password on a text box and validate it, I've got to get it
    by
    > > > code)
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    bzhang Guest

  5. #5

    To get the user name you need to turn off anonymous access on the site. IIS will then request the user's credentials.
    At that point you can use the Context.User object and get stuff like .Identity.Name

    - eZe
    eRic Guest

  6. #6

    If your AD allows to read data for anonymous users such as default iis user
    when you have to turn off anonymous access and turn on Windows
    Authentication only in website properties

    But in many cases w/o impersonation it is not possible to get data from AD.
    Either to turn on impersonation (in web.config) or to use a COM-component,
    which could be executed with account of an user who has rights read AD

    "eRic" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > To get the user name you need to turn off anonymous access on the site.
    IIS will then request the user's credentials.
    > At that point you can use the Context.User object and get stuff like
    ..Identity.Name.

    > - eZe

    Alexey Smirnov Guest

  7. #7

    Hmm, thanks all, I'll try these sugestions

    "Alexey Smirnov" <removeit.hellosmalig.com> wrote in message
    > If your AD allows to read data for anonymous users such as default iis
    user
    > when you have to turn off anonymous access and turn on Windows
    > Authentication only in website properties
    >
    > But in many cases w/o impersonation it is not possible to get data from
    AD.
    > Either to turn on impersonation (in web.config) or to use a COM-component,
    > which could be executed with account of an user who has rights read AD
    >

    > "eRic" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > To get the user name you need to turn off anonymous access on the site.
    > IIS will then request the user's credentials.
    > > At that point you can use the Context.User object and get stuff like
    > .Identity.Name.
    > >
    > > - eZe

    Galore Guest

  8. #8

    Hi there,

    Does anybody know if there are any ASP components to communicate with Active
    Directory.
    We need to develop an intranet web site that displays information based on
    the user permissions on Active Directory.

    Thank you,
    Dio

    Dionísio Monteiro Guest

  9. #9

    Sure, it's all built into Windows. LDAP, ADSI, etc.

    [url]http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020130.htm[/url]

    Ray at work

    "Dionísio Monteiro" <diosensoria.pt> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Does anybody know if there are any ASP components to communicate with
    Active
    > Directory.
    > We need to develop an intranet web site that displays information based on
    > the user permissions on Active Directory.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Dio

    Ray at Guest

  10. #10

    Thank you but you showed me VB code to interact with ADSI.

    What I need is a component that I can use to query ADSI through an .asp web
    page.

    Thanx,

    dio

    message news:%23Vlr3$XIEHA.4052TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Sure, it's all built into Windows. LDAP, ADSI, etc.
    >
    > [url]http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020130.htm[/url]
    >
    > Ray at work
    >
    > "Dionísio Monteiro" <diosensoria.pt> wrote in message
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > Does anybody know if there are any ASP components to communicate with
    > Active
    > > Directory.
    > > We need to develop an intranet web site that displays information based
    on
    > > the user permissions on Active Directory.
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > > Dio

    dio Guest

  11. #11

    That's VBScript, which you can use in an ASP page.

    Here, try this in a page on your intranet that does NOT use anonymous
    access.

    <% Language = VBScript %>
    <% Option Explicit %>
    <%
    Function PullUserDescription()
    Dim sDomain, sUser, sFull
    sFull = Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER")
    If sFull = "" Then
    PullUserDescription "You can't use anonymous access for this. Or you
    have to change the function to allow arguments to be passed and used."
    Exit Function
    End If
    sDomain = Split(sFull, "\")(0)
    sUser = Split(sFull, "\")(1)

    Dim User
    Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & sDomain & "/" & sUser & ",user")
    PullUserDescription = User.Description
    Set User = Nothing
    End Function
    %>
    <%=PullUserDescription%>

    Ray at work

    "dio" <diosensoria.pt> wrote in message
    > Thank you but you showed me VB code to interact with ADSI.
    >
    > What I need is a component that I can use to query ADSI through an .asp
    web
    > page.
    >
    > Thanx,
    >
    > dio
    >
    > "Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in
    > message news:%23Vlr3$XIEHA.4052TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > > Sure, it's all built into Windows. LDAP, ADSI, etc.
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020130.htm[/url]
    > >
    > > Ray at work
    > >
    > > "Dionísio Monteiro" <diosensoria.pt> wrote in message
    > > > Hi there,
    > > >
    > > > Does anybody know if there are any ASP components to communicate with
    > > Active
    > > > Directory.
    > > > We need to develop an intranet web site that displays information
    based
    > on
    > > > the user permissions on Active Directory.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Dio

    Ray at Guest

  12. #12

    Sorry, didn't realize that!
    I use JScript for ASP development so I wasn't sure if we were talking about
    the same thing.
    So, if I understood right there's no need for aditional components, with
    VBScript I have everything I need, right?

    Now that I mentioned, do I have the same capabilities with JScript to
    interact with ADSI in the same way?

    Thank you again,
    dio

    message news:eow1hbYIEHA.3476TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    dio Guest

  13. #13

    > Now that I mentioned, do I have the same capabilities with JScript to
    > interact with ADSI in the same way?
    Yes.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running IIS

    Tom Kaminski [MVP] Guest

  14. #14

    Ok,

    Just a few more enlightments!

    Can I retrieve the list of drives a user has mapped? How do I do it?

    Where can I find doentation about the VBScript or JScript API to interact
    with ADSI?

    Thank you again,
    dio

  15. #15

    > Can I retrieve the list of drives a user has mapped? How do I do it?
    Not really. Remember, ASP is running on the Web server, not the remote
    client machine.
    > Where can I find doentation about the VBScript or JScript API to
    interact
    > with ADSI?
    Start here. [url]http://www.microsoft.com/adsi[/url] Just remember, the language you
    use doesn't matter, so don't go crazy trying to find something specific to
    jscript or vbscript. I'm sure that the majority of the sample code you'll
    find will be in vbscript anyway. Since vbscript is practically a narrative
    of what the code is doing, recoding in jscript shouldn't be a problem if
    that's the language you choose.

    Ray at home

    Ray at Guest

  16. #16

    > > Can I retrieve the list of drives a user has mapped? How do I do it?
    >
    > Not really. Remember, ASP is running on the Web server, not the remote
    > client machine.
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
    Suppose that after a user logs to ADSI, he has access to a series of shared
    folders (or mapped as drives) on the server. Can I retrieve this drives he
    has access to querying ADSI?

    I'm not sure if what I'm asking makes sense since I still have only basic
    knowledge of ADSI!

    Thank you,
    dio

    dio Guest

  17. #17

    > Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
    > Suppose that after a user logs to ADSI, he has access to a series of
    shared
    > folders (or mapped as drives) on the server. Can I retrieve this drives he
    > has access to querying ADSI?
    Okay, I see what you're saying. I'm not any ADSI expert by any means, but
    it seems to me that what you'd have to do is loop through the shares on the
    server, look at the share permissions, and see if there are any group or
    username matches in the share permissions for each share to the groups that
    the user is in. And to be certain, you'd want to check NTFS permissions as
    well.

    How would you code this? I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'd have to
    work on it. $ ;]

    What are you trying to do exactly?

    Ray at work

    Ray at Guest

  18. #18

    I'll try to explain what we want to do.

    We are working with a public institution for whom we have developed their
    web site. Now we are studying the possibility to develop their intranet.
    I'll describe how they work and what we want to do.

    Each department produces lots of doentation (doc's, xls', pdf's, etc.)
    and stores it on shared folders (or mapped drives) on the server. These
    folders identify a certain kind of information, law doents, internal
    rules, etc.

    Each department, depending on its permissions, may access other department
    information.

    Because there's a lot of information, they have developed an html page for
    each department to index the contents they have access to.
    Something like this: Law Doents (point to X:\).

    So, when the user clicks the link an explorer window opens pointing to that
    folder, listing its contents, files and other folders.

    What we want to develop is an intranet web site that acts as a friendly
    interface to the information. This way the users can have a much better
    experience navigating through folder contents as they do on web sites
    (except when clicking a link to the doent itself, a doc file would open
    Word, obviously).

    The content of the web pages would be naturally a list of folder and files
    but that's waht they want, they don't want to change the way they work (this
    means copying files to the corresponding mapped drive).

    To do this, we need to show the intranet web pages content (the links to the
    drives they have access to) based on the user permissions. We have a lot of
    experience on ASP (none on ADSI but that's nothing that can't be worked out)
    so it would be great if we could develop the intranet with this tecnology.

    Thank you again for your help.
    Dio

    message news:%23he5zAvIEHA.964TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    > "dio" <diosensoria.pt> wrote in message
    >

    > > Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
    > > Suppose that after a user logs to ADSI, he has access to a series of
    > shared
    > > folders (or mapped as drives) on the server. Can I retrieve this drives
    he
    > > has access to querying ADSI?
    >
    > Okay, I see what you're saying. I'm not any ADSI expert by any means, but
    > it seems to me that what you'd have to do is loop through the shares on
    the
    > server, look at the share permissions, and see if there are any group or
    > username matches in the share permissions for each share to the groups
    that
    > the user is in. And to be certain, you'd want to check NTFS permissions
    as
    > well.
    >
    > How would you code this? I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'd have
    > work on it. $ ;]
    >
    > What are you trying to do exactly?
    >
    > Ray at work

    dio Guest

  19. #19

    FWIW, they really need to change the way they work.
    Take a look at Windows Server 2003 with Windows SharePoint Services (free
    add-on) - it will pretty much do what they want (they can map web folders in
    explorer instead of shared drives) and it will also make your life easier to
    deploy the app.

    --

> [...]
    > > shared
    > > > folders (or mapped as drives) on the server. Can I retrieve this
    drives
    > he
    > > > has access to querying ADSI?
    > >
    > > Okay, I see what you're saying. I'm not any ADSI expert by any means,
    but
    > > it seems to me that what you'd have to do is loop through the shares on
    > the
    > > server, look at the share permissions, and see if there are any group or
    > > username matches in the share permissions for each share to the groups
    > that
    > > the user is in. And to be certain, you'd want to check NTFS permissions
    > as
    > > well.
    > >
    > > How would you code this? I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'd have

    Tom Kaminski [MVP] Guest

  20. #20

    Well, yes, I have already thought about that!
    The question is, they won't do it now. A lot of people is used to that kind
    of workflow, it won't be easy to change!

    Thank you once again.
    Dionísio

> [...]
    > > >
    > > > "dio" <diosensoria.pt> wrote in message

    > > > shared
    > drives
    > > he
    > > >
    > > > Okay, I see what you're saying. I'm not any ADSI expert by any means,
    > but
    > > > it seems to me that what you'd have to do is loop through the shares
    on
    > > the
    > > > server, look at the share permissions, and see if there are any group
    or
    > > > username matches in the share permissions for each share to the groups
    > > that
    > > > the user is in. And to be certain, you'd want to check NTFS
    permissions
    > > as
    > > > well.
    > > >
    > > > How would you code this? I'm not sure off the top of my head. I'd

    dio Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast