Professional Web Applications Themes

Active Directory Groups - more than 1000 members - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

I?ve been polling the ?member? attribute of Active Directory (AD) groups for some time and I came across a new obstacle. Groups with more than 1000 members suddenly change the ?member? attribute to ?member;range=0-999?. At least, that?s how it appears in Softerra?s LDAP Browser. I also noticed that the members turn a blue color when you look at the members using the AD Administrator on the AD server. Searching around, I found an explanation on Microsoft?s website:...

  1. #1

    Default Active Directory Groups - more than 1000 members

    I?ve been polling the ?member? attribute of Active Directory (AD) groups for
    some time and I came across a new obstacle. Groups with more than 1000 members
    suddenly change the ?member? attribute to ?member;range=0-999?. At least,
    that?s how it appears in Softerra?s LDAP Browser. I also noticed that the
    members turn a blue color when you look at the members using the AD
    Administrator on the AD server.

    Searching around, I found an explanation on Microsoft?s website:
    J.C. Guest

  2. #2

    J.C.
    Did you ever figure this issue out? We're running into the same exact problem. Any information would help.

    Thanks,
    Christian
    conanbarb Guest

  3. #3

    Nope, I'm still clueless.
    J.C. Guest

  4. #4

    J.C.

    We had the same problem. It is the MAXPAGESIZE attribute in AD. It is defaulted to 1000 we changed this to allow for a much larger recordset from AD to CF.

    Hope this helps!
    CF_DAWG Guest

  5. #5

    Where do I find this MAXPAGESIZE attribute? Please, more detail!

    Thanks!
    J.C. Guest

  6. #6

    I found where to set the MaxPageSize attribute in this Microsoft article:

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/EXBPA/77521496-b2c7-41af-8[/url]
    340-8d857453fe5a.mspx

    I look at my settings and MaxPageSize is set to 5000. Why isn't it working?
    Is there something else to this, CF_DAWG?

    JC

    J.C. Guest

  7. #7

    J.C.

    I am getting the doentation from my NT guy. There is one more setting to change in AD and he is sending me that info shortly.

    Thanks!
    CF_DAWG Guest

  8. #8

    This is from MicroSoft on AD. I have starred what are changes are:

    ? MaxPageSize - This value controls the maximum number of objects that are
    returned in a single search result, independent of how large each returned
    object is. To perform a search where the result might exceed this number of
    objects, the client must specify the paged search control. This is to group the
    returned results in groups that are no larger than the MaxPageSize value. To
    summarize, MaxPageSize controls the number of objects that are returned in a
    single search result.

    *****We have this set to 20000 (the default was 1000)

    ? MaxValRange - This value controls the number of values that are returned for
    an attribute of an object, independent of how many attributes that object has,
    or of how many objects were in the search result. In Windows 2000 this control
    is "hard" coded at 1,000. If an attribute has more than the number of values
    that are specified by the MaxValRange value, you must use value range controls
    in LDAP to retrieve values that exceed the MaxValRange value. MaxValueRange
    controls the number of values that are returned on a single attribute on a
    single object.

    ***** We have this set to 5000 (the default was 1000)

    Hope this helps!

    CF_DAWG Guest