Professional Web Applications Themes

Adding borders to headshots - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I've been able to shrink my headshots from 20MB to around 75K so I can send them as e-mail. Great. Now that I'm able to access headshots off of a website and send the pictures to my desktop, I'd like to be able to insert a border around the headshot. I'm trying out Photoshop Elements with the intention to purchase. Is there any way in this program I am able to do this. Please advise. Thanks in advance....

  1. #1

    Default Adding borders to headshots

    William_J._Vila@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Adding borders to headshots

    Since you say you are considering purchasing Elements, that implies that you don't have any experience using it. So it's possible that what I'm going to tell you will not make any sense. That being said, all you have to do is make your canvas bigger than your actual image, and that will provide you with a border around your picture.
    Jim_Hess@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I have used Photoshop years ago, so I have an understanding about making the canvas bigger, although I didn't think about that, so thank you, Jim.

    I should have been more clearer in my inquiry. What I want to do is insert a border, similar to those types of borders used for headshots (like mine). The photographer that took my pictures was able to insert a border for my picture that was decorative in nature. Can I choose a particular type of border for my pictures? Will I need to acquire some sort of third-party (if not Adobe) software that works in conjunction with PhotoShop Elements? Please advise.
    William_J._Vila@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Are you asking about a border, or do you want to have a frame added around the image? You know - something that makes it look like a photograph that's been placed in a traditional frame. There are a number of frame styles available within Elements already, which you'd find under Layer Styles. There's also a thread a little bit down the list in which a link is given to some mattes and frames that one of our regular forum members created. The thread is called "frame layer styles" and currently has 45 posts. Go toward the end of the postings and you'll see a link for the download. Check these out and see if something like this is closer to what you were trying to describe. If so, you could either use something already created or we could find a post that describes how to make your own.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    There are also some Frame effects in the Effects Palette. These are canned, and not very editable, but are quick and easy and might fulfill your needs.

    Rich
    Richard_Coencas@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Also, I don't think this was mentioned:

    I found that after you expand the canvas, you can fill it with the color of your choice, or with a pattern.

    You won't be sorry if you get Elements 2.0. Someone said that if you can think of something, Elements can do it!

    For sure.

    Lorace
    Lorace_Graham@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    William, next step up for best photo editor is the full version of photoshop. Buy Elements..it's the baby brother with alot of spunk and it's always catching up to big brother in one way or another. There are other photo editing aps but I personally prefer Adobe's products for most of my work.
    Jodi_Frye@adobeforums.com Guest